Soooo....Tau?

march10k

Do they get units of drones with markerlights? And can those units get an attached HQ with BS5 and a drone controller?

Yes. 

Drones come in Fast Attack as before, but can be bought as gun drones, marker drones or shield drones. 

And yes again, a crisis suit commander can buy a drone controller and join the drone unit and make them all BS5. 

Heck the commander can buy two drones him self (few points cheaper) and still join other units. 

In total, 14 drones and commander at BS5. 

Even tougher, add Shadowsun into the mix... her drones provide 3++ saves and since the gundrones are TLed, they re-roll to Hit.... since they are all BS5, that means the whole unit has a 35/36 chance to hit for all of its shooting, so basically guaranteed hits. Also, she gives the entire unit Stealth+Shrouding, so they become very tough in cover and she also gives them 3D6 JSJ move with her warlord trait, making them even more mobile.

14 Gun Drones shooting at BS5 has 28 shots*(35/36 chance to hit)= 27-28 hits. For GEQs, that is 1about 21 unsaved wounds (goodby blob squads); for MEQs, that is about 4-5 unsaved wounds; for TEQs that is 2-3 unsaved wounds. All of this doesn't even account for Shadowsun's shooting (two BS5 Fusion Blasters) and the Crises Suit Commander's shooting.

Now, with regard to countering this set-up, I think removing the Crises Commander with the Drone Controler is critical here. Sniper Scouts, barrage sniping, and Precision Shots from characters (i.e. Sammael's Plasma Cannon) can try and remove the Crises Commander... once he is gone, the Drones are suddenly BS2 and much of the synergy of this unit falls apart.

Of course, another option is to either Dakka the unit down (Standard of Devastation style), or get into CC with it using a Bike I-C and Ravenwing bodyguard.... should be able to crush the unit pretty easily if this happens. Of course, since Shadowsun provides that extra mobility, this could be a challenge.

Final shout-out. pirate.gif

If you're going to post about Tau you better make it a worthwhile post for this board for everything else there's a Tau thread on news and rumours section.

Well its kinda informative to know how to shoot fish in a barrel!

Yes, but some posts are seem to be more about how the fish shoot back...

If you're going to post about Tau you better make it a worthwhile post for this board for everything else there's a Tau thread on news and rumours section.

Yep and that can be used to formulate better tactics no?

Not playing the hard headed one, its my opinion on the matter. Sorry if it sounds like I am dragging this on.

I been reading this topic from the start. One of my best friends plays Tau so I've been getting an earful with each bit of info to hit the net. He's the one who got me into 40k so I endure it. Back to my point. There has been a lot of talk about the ripetide, fire warriors, pathfinders, battle suits, and battle suit commanders. However no mention of the Ethereals. Such as the returning Aun Shi and, the one my friend calls the space pope, Aun'va. Do we believe these to be nonfactors. From what my friend has told me they could be a big threat. (He does tend to overexaggerate from time to time.)

Tau seem to be a good book. Not overpowered though. Yes, markerlights can strip cover, but they've always been able to do that. Removing them is still going to be key in defeating tau. I'm much more interested in them as allies. Battle brothers means we can use their locator beacons (and they can use ours.) Additionally, they have solid AA that can be used to shore up DAs biggest weakness (and it won't cost an arm and a leg.) I'm excited for this book, both to play against and play with. I'm happy that at long last, tau have what they've been waiting for.

I been reading this topic from the start. One of my best friends plays Tau so I've been getting an earful with each bit of info to hit the net. He's the one who got me into 40k so I endure it. Back to my point. There has been a lot of talk about the ripetide, fire warriors, pathfinders, battle suits, and battle suit commanders. However no mention of the Ethereals. Such as the returning Aun Shi and, the one my friend calls the space pope, Aun'va. Do we believe these to be nonfactors. From what my friend has told me they could be a big threat. (He does tend to overexaggerate from time to time.)

BIg threat no. A juicy add on to focus an army list with a couple of extras yes.

They get some nifty abilities but nothing OOP. THey are not useless either.

Read some of the new stuff that the fishes got. Like the others of out Unforgiven Brethren have stated. It's nice too see that the Tau got some love in the new ' Dex and it's also good that its not overpowered. Its a great time to be a 40k player. looking forward to playing against a Tau player soon.

I hope my question isn't off-topic but what do you guys think we should watch out for or be wary of in terms of Tau units?

Read some of the new stuff that the fishes got. Like the others of out Unforgiven Brethren have stated. It's nice too see that the Tau got some love in the new ' Dex and it's also good that its not overpowered. Its a great time to be a 40k player. looking forward to playing against a Tau player soon.

I hope my question isn't off-topic but what do you guys think we should watch out for or be wary of in terms of Tau units?

Firewarriors and Kroot snipers!

They seem solid on paper and with good numbers they could hurt.

However no mention of the Ethereals. Such as the returning Aun Shi and, the one my friend calls the space pope, Aun'va. Do we believe these to be nonfactors. From what my friend has told me they could be a big threat. (He does tend to overexaggerate from time to time.)

Well, do they still cause panic when they die?

If so... >:3

However no mention of the Ethereals. Such as the returning Aun Shi and, the one my friend calls the space pope, Aun'va. Do we believe these to be nonfactors. From what my friend has told me they could be a big threat. (He does tend to overexaggerate from time to time.)

Well, do they still cause panic when they die?

If so... >:3

If an Ethereal dies, all Tau not embarked in vehicles(Kroot, vespid, Vehicle,  and Drone units not included.) Take a leadership test, falling back to the table edge closest to the Ethereal . They will keep making tests every turn until they pass or run off. All tau units gain prefered enemy (Enemy type that killed the Ethereal.) and furious charge.

Yep and that can be used to formulate better tactics no?

Not playing the hard headed one, its my opinion on the matter. Sorry if it sounds like I am dragging this on.

That's why I stressed the post should be worthwhile for this board.

If someone posts unit Z can do X,Y and W but it can be easily countered with unit A,B from codex DA it's a worthwhile post.

If it's a post that is just "ZOMG they can shoot a bazzillion S5 shots from unit X I'm so glad they are finally worthwhile".. then clearly this post is not worthwhile for this board.

Any further question(s) just PM me I'll be happy to delve deeper into this subject.

played against them today, my friend isnt the best but they fall in droves. t5 really gives them trouble as well.

against tau you have to play extremely bold and DA do this best. dropping a 10 man DW squad behind their enemy lines really rains on their parade!!

any Ravenwing/mixed wing player out there play against the fishes recently? just curious as to how our bikes will fare against their gunline.

Havent played against the new dex, but I believe it will be mostly the same. Perhaps we might prioritise our outflanking and turbo boosting over shooting in order to reach their lines faster. From what I have seen, we might (and stress 'might') be the only codex along the guard, that stand any chance in a protracted firefight. But we need a ton of bodies and the SoD to do  that if we dont want to punch them in the face.

The general consesus seems to be: 'Against tau dont shoot, run!!!'

any Ravenwing/mixed wing player out there play against the fishes recently? just curious as to how our bikes will fare against their gunline.

I only used a 6 man plus attack bike and a command squad. The scout move let me catch a crisis squad out of position and a rad grenade made them t3 so the plasma talon killed 3 in 1 volley due to instant death.

Just don't let them out maneuver you. Good fishing.

Havent played against the new dex, but I believe it will be mostly the same. Perhaps we might prioritise our outflanking and turbo boosting over shooting in order to reach their lines faster. From what I have seen, we might (and stress 'might') be the only codex along the guard, that stand any chance in a protracted firefight. But we need a ton of bodies and the SoD to do  that if we dont want to punch them in the face.

My Tau friend says they get interceptor. Which allow them to shoot all units that start out in reserve. So outflaking may not be our best course of action.

My Tau friend says they get interceptor. Which allow them to shoot all units that start out in reserve. So outflaking may not be our best course of action.

Not all tau models can get early warning systems (interceptor) though, it's a support war gear option that the battle suits can buy but it only effects the model that owns it, not the whole unit. Except for a commander the battle suits can only be equipped with one SS and certainly for the broadsides I'd rather buy the verlosity tracker to gain sky fire over interceptor. So I think outflanking might be a viable tactic. Only down side is that the more you stick in reserve the less there is on the board for the tau to kill first turn.

If an Ethereal dies, all Tau not embarked in vehicles(Kroot, vespid, Vehicle,  and Drone units not included.) Take a leadership test, falling back to the table edge closest to the Ethereal . They will keep making tests every turn until they pass or run off. All tau units gain prefered enemy (Enemy type that killed the Ethereal.) and furious charge.

This is not what happens anymore. If your ethereal dies, you're opponent gets an extra VP. They no longer have to take a leadership test, and they don't get preferred enemy anymore.

This is not what happens anymore. If your ethereal dies, you're opponent gets an extra VP. They no longer have to take a leadership test, and they don't get preferred enemy anymore.

Hm... pity, although a bit understandable.

Guess that puts them much lower on the priority list.

I have played against Tau this weekend, and have to say OMG bikes stand no chance! with 2 markerlights, they take away ones entire Coversave! I wasnt supposed to play Tau but rather Crons, but somehow had to play the new dex anyway. Riptide survived 2 rounds, courtesy of my Black Knights. Broadsides and Hammerhead ripped 2 full squads of RAS by round 3 (he started :( ) .He had Farsight and 7 Crisis Suit Bodyguards + uncountable amounts of Missile Pods - all 4++ Deathstar that DS with no scatter.... needless to say Devs were doomed!

I was still in the game but to "unlucky events lost Sammy and Command Squad to Firewarriors :(

In the end it was 9-5 victory for Tau.

my takeaway - Ignore Riptide and focus on anything with Markerlights. DONT EVER PLAY TAU in a KP game as RW - that said combat squad bikes. Dual heavy flamer Speeders to smoke out those camping Firewarriors. NEVER assault anything if there are other Tau within 6".

Maybe other people have better experiences than me or can call out some flaws in my approach

It might be relevant to point there's a Tau FAQ saying missile pods can only go into broadsides. Probably could've helped a bit. Just a heads up if some Tau player wants to pull that one again. https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3130063a_Tau_Empire_v1.0_APRIL13.pdf

Archived