Help me as I build a Space Marine Captain

Vivster

Dear all,

I have decided to come back to space marines and have bought a captain/commander for my army.

My thoughts on kitting him out are:

• Relic Blade w/ Plasma Pistol, Artificer Armour
  • Relic Blade w/ Combi-Plasma, Artificer Armour
  • Relic Blade w/ Combi-Melta, Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs

Thanks smile.png

Personally I would go with the second option. The third option seems made just for taking out tanks, and that doesn't seem too useful when you can just have a devastator squad or some tacticals with a lascannon sitting at the back of the map. The second one will give you a little more versatility, as you can shoot at opponents from further away, and if a bigger opponent comes your way then the single plasma shot could save you. The plasma pistol wouldn't get you the close combat bonus, so I don't see the plasma pistol being too useful.

I run mine either....

Claw, fist, artificer.

Relic, artificer. (sometimes Storm Shield, some times aux grenade launcher for funzies)

Twin claws if im runnung him with any unit dedicated to AP2.

Thats my three.

ZP

Right now I have mine with a fist, jump pack, and combi-flamer.

I'm not sure how he will work though seeing as how I haven't even got all the models for my list yet. 

I go for option d), relic blade, storm shield, artificer armour, digi weapons. Is a monster in combat, can tank hits, and cut down opponents with ease.

Or, instead of the storm shield, take the combi-plasma or boltgun with hellfire rounds instead.

I don't think you really want a combiweapon on your captain, especially not a combiplasma as you cant assault afterwards.

I don't really run my captain in non-joke lists, but when I do I like him this way:

- relic blade

- storm shield

- artificer armor

- digital weps/meltabomb (only if I have excess points)

Another good idea is:

- lightning claw

- power fist

- artificer armor

And ofc both guys can be given a bike, too. ;]

I go for option d), relic blade, storm shield, artificer armour, digi weapons. Is a monster in combat, can tank hits, and cut down opponents with ease.

Eh, that's quite some hyperbole right there. :S

Pistol is expensive for one shot + get's hot, and won't give an extra attack to the Relic blade. Combi-plasma interferes with aggressive use of the captain's close combat potential.

I like the combi-melta & melta bombs option. Yes, very anti-tank, but if you face a lot of Dreadnaughts, monstrous creatures(daemon prince or dreadknights), etc. then the melta bombs will augment the sword nicely. Even the combi-melta can evaporate a T:4 warlord in terminator/artificer armor, something a relic blade can't do. Together, you have two very dangerous attacks at initiative vs monsters. To get 3 monster mashing hits, you need to get a power fist or thunder hammer and lose your initiative.

I don't think you really want a combiweapon on your captain, especially not a combiplasma as you cant assault afterwards.

I don't really run my captain in non-joke lists, but when I do I like him this way:

- relic blade

- storm shield

- artificer armor

- digital weps/meltabomb (only if I have excess points)

Another good idea is:

- lightning claw

- power fist

- artificer armor

And ofc both guys can be given a bike, too. ;]

Eh, that's quite some hyperbole right there. :S

I base my hyperbole off experience. It sure is, and there's a reason why everyone was running him like that in 5th, and continued to do so in 6th.

If you describe a captain as a combat monster, how then would you describe HQs like Logan, Draigo, wolf lords, swarmlord, daemon princes, nurgle biker lords, juggerlords, bloodthirsters, mephiston, lysander, kitted out necron lords, Oberyn, etc.?

Gods of the arena? biggrin.png

Two immediately spring to mind.  The first is the big sword bit from the Emperor's Champion model; second is the variety of axes wielded by the new-model Techmarines.  The Techmarine axes obviously have the Ad Mech cog-and-skull on them so that might be an issue unless you just carve it off.

Thanks for the advice guys, what would you say is the best representation for a relic blade?

I'm using the power axe from the black templar upgrade kit.

It's the same size as a regular power axe, but it has some cool added bling on it, making it look quite relic-y compared to other weps in my army.

Right, i have decided for a captain with storm shield (mounted on his back), relic blade, artificer armour, melta bombs and if i want ill justsay he has a bolter with hellfire rounds :P

Right upnext the tactical squads

Bear in mind that if you're modelling him like that, you'll

a ) have to ask if people will let you use him with a hellfire bolter (and not using the Storm Shield).

and 

b ) be prepared to accept when they say "no". WYSIWYG is boss. Pick a build and stick to it. If you really can't decide, invest some time and money in magnets to let you swap his weapons around.

Depends on the unit he's in. With Sternguard, he's there as protection from combat units etc. So a bolter helps contribute to their goal while a relic blade helps out in combat.

But generally speaking you want assault weapons or a storm shield. As the the storm bolter isn't a nice number, it's the storm shield. ;)

Command Squad: 4 plasma guns, apothecary in a razorback (what should i have plasma or lascannon?)

Both!  Combined with a Null Zone/Avenger Libby in there with them, they wipe out whole squads of, well, everything.  I ran this combo most of the way through 5th Edition and ate people alive.

My Captain got the bling treatment when it comes to gear. Relic Blade, Storm Bolter, Bike with Hellfire Rounds in the bolters, Artificier Armour, Digital Weapons, Melta Bombs, the lot. I chose to represent his Relic Blade with four chainsword blades and some Green Stuff to give him a weapon of appropriate size (and I wanted him to have a chainsword, so sue me).

If you can, I advise sticking him on a bike, the extra Toughness as well as HoW, Jink and Relentless will help out in combat, and the extra range will help keep him out of the sights of your enemy's long-range weapons by making it easier to dart between cover.

Archived