Some possible tactics for DA

Boniface

This is an open discussion based on some things I noted.

Firstly I think we as DA players limit ourselves too much into wings. For example just because we have Belial doesn't mean we need to use all termies. I think we're all trying to 'over-use' the character's traits.

I think the best use for Belial is the non-scatter deepstrike with a big squad of termies. Couple that with a tactical squad in a drop pod and you have 2 units that land pretty much where you want them too.

I'm all about turn 1 (which might be my downfall) so I personally think having more than one pod is a waste.

If you're going to have more then i would suggest more termies DWA on turn 2 as well.

A possible combination could be:

Belial with 10 termies with a heavy flamer and an assault cannon. 660

Azrael with command squad with standard of fortitude in drop pod 435

I know it's a lot of points so I'm not saying its the best thing to go with but it is an option. It provides 2 concerning squads for the enemy in their face.

First off, I'm new to DA and have yet to actually use their rules in game, but I feel this is close to on topic for this thread.

On the topic of termies... I don't usually play with special characters, especially in anything <2k.  I want to use a squad of knights and a shooty squad of termies.  Would it be better to run a big squad of 10 shooty and and another termie assault squad to support the knights?  Or just break the 10man in to 2x 5 man and give one (or both) of the sergeants lightning claws.

The non-scatter is nice, and maybe this will be one of the few special's I ever pick up, but I've always tended to spend points on other stuff.  My first club actully banned special characters from tourny play too, so that was a big influence.

The Deathwing terminators can mix and match gear, so we don't have the shooty/assault divide like Codex:Space Marines does (other than the Deathwing Knights). In my list building, Beliel makes terminators troops (and thus scoring), so he is a big part of my deathwing lists. I use 5 man squads to get more scoring units and some have the stormshield/thunderhammer loadout. For sergeants, I use either lightning claws or power swords, but the claws are a lesser choice. I like having shooting everywhere though.

DWA must all be in the same turn. So you can't DWA Belial and a squad turn 1 and two more in turn 2. You could try to put them in reserve.... but not guaranteed.

Thanks for pointing that out I mis-understood that as each unit... Etc. I don't think it has had any impact in my games so no matter.

This adds to me another reason not to go all deathwing.

I think in this codex bikes are the best, but I think games workshop has gone so marine crazy in general that its almost a better option to divert away from them. For example: A helldrake is only really scary to marines who lose their armour save, (don't get me wrong it's still horrible) but if you have masses of troops without saves anyway it's hardly going to seem the same.

I also think the salvo bolter should always be used for bikes. Relentlessness plus salvo 4 = much killing.

DWA must all be in the same turn. So you can't DWA Belial and a squad turn 1 and two more in turn 2. You could try to put them in reserve.... but not guaranteed.

w

ait, where does it say that? I thought it said to make a note for each unit about which turn they arrive, so you could choose per-unit...

w

ait, where does it say that? I thought it said to make a note for each unit about which turn they arrive, so you could choose per-unit...

" All units making the Deathwing Assault automatically arrive bla bla bla at the start off the chosen turn" . pg 44

w

" All units making the Deathwing Assault automatically arrive bla bla bla at the start off the chosen turn" . pg 44

Think that will need a FAQ also...   "Unit, unit, unit...  Make secret note of first or second turn...  Bla bla bla..."

" All units making the Deathwing Assault automatically arrive bla bla bla at the start off the (unit's?) chosen turn" . pg 44

I read it as all at the same time too but this is fuzzy...

(inferred meaning?)

Not wanting to de-rail the thread ( and noting English is my second language so sometimes its more cut and dry and less open to interpretation to me), I read as you Chose which units that will make a DWA and you take note of when the DWA takes place. Then the units making DWA arrive at the chosen turn. I think the key here is to observe that everything they say is regarding the DWA and not the units taking part of it. I can see that it may look ambiguous but for my English knowledge it is not so ambiguous since I ahve a different way to process information from a native speaker. Just my 2 cents.

Deathwing Assault: Units entirely composed of models that have both this special rule and Terminator armour can choose to make a Deathwing Assault. Immediately after determining Warlord Traits, tell your opponent which units are making a Deathwing Assault, and make a secret note of whether it takes place during your first or second turn. All units making the Deathwing Assault automatically arrive

via Deep Strike at the start of the chosen turn - there is no

need to roll for reserves.

Seems pretty clear it's all on one turn now. Wow that's major suckage. Deathwing armies just dropped about 5 points on the coolness scale for me. I know they can still be done but now it's a little impractical.

Although I do have an image of a solitary techmarine on a bike hiding in a corner so you can go second and deathwing assault everything on the second part of turn 2. We'll call the game Easter tech hunt.

Just my opinion. I liked the thought of picking what I want when I want it, admittedly I mis-read/understood the rules.

It also makes the build less viable because if you go all termies (as you might) you can literally only DWA turn 1 unless you go for regular reserves.

Just my opinion. I liked the thought of picking what I want when I want it, admittedly I mis-read/understood the rules.

It also makes the build less viable because if you go all termies (as you might) you can literally only DWA turn 1 unless you go for regular reserves.

I don't want to reopen this particular debate but your statement here appears to take as given the idea that DWA-ing terminators don't count towards your 50% reserves limit. (My inference is that you're forced to DWA on T1 as you're not deploying anything normally so you'd auto-lose due to having no models on the table at the end of T1 unless this is when you drop your termies.)

I'm not sure why you think that the only viable build for DW is one where you don't deploy anything at the beginning of the game, but there you go...

I don't want to reopen this particular debate but your statement here appears to take as given the idea that DWA-ing terminators don't count towards your 50% reserves limit. (My inference is that you're forced to DWA on T1 as you're not deploying anything normally so you'd auto-lose due to having no models on the table at the end of T1 unless this is when you drop your termies.)

I'm not sure why you think that the only viable build for DW is one where you don't deploy anything at the beginning of the game, but there you go...

Well most people are playing that it doesn't count towards the reserve limit because most of the major GT FAQs are saying they don't. And since so many of them are considered the de facto standard until GW puts out an FAQ of it's own, it's generally safe to play it that way. 

But yeah, it's best not to open this can of worms again :P

Well most people are playing that it doesn't count towards the reserve limit because most of the major GT FAQs are saying they don't. And since so many of them are considered the de facto standard until GW puts out an FAQ of it's own, it's generally safe to play it that way.

But yeah, it's best not to open this can of worms again tongue.png

Fair enough. I don't play competitively, so I hadn't realised that there was some actual formal backing behind the idea. I'll try to remember not to question it again ;-)

Archived