4th ed guy, A few Qs: Meph in BA Mech?

JSlade

I Haven't played since 4th Ed, but I liked the models of 5th ed. (even built a furioso with blood talons for fun!)

Well, I took my old force out for a spin with the 5th ed rule book, and got tossed this weekend.

My desire to win isn't the driving motivator, but, I like tanks. And it seems like BA Tanks are best.

I was thinking of buying some tanks this weekend, and putting together something that looks like this. But, I'd like to ask your opinion, as it may be a waste of a few hundred bucks.

So, Questions.

1. Is meph with 6th ed psyker powers a stupid use?

2. Why do I see so few vindicators?

3. Do I have to get into a flyer war arms race to compete at local game stores?

4. Any good use for Sanguinary Guard in a Mech list?

5. Is the below list, a decent basis for a tanker army with the BA list?

Thanks for the help, and your time.

HQ.gif Mephiston

Troops.gif 5 Man RAS w/ Flamer and Axe in Razorback

5 Man RAS w/ Flamer and Axe in Razorback

5 Man RAS w/ Flamer and Axe in Razorback

FA.gif Baal Pred w/assault cannon

Baal Pred w/assault cannon

Attack Bike Squadron(MM) x3

HS.gif Vindicator

Vindicator

1) Unfortunately, Mephiston is not good enough for 6th. Plenty of people will disagree, so if you want to take him anyway, keep the codex powers.

2) Maybe people just don't have the models? I know that's why I never use one.

3) It will depend on your local meta, but I personally am about to drop my Stormraven. If I go back to feeling like I need a flier, it will be as part of my IG allied detachment.

4) No. They are too expensive, due too easily, and just don't hit hard enough at all.

5) I don't like Mephiston, and I don't think you want axes in those RAS squads (if they're in combat, they're probably dead anyway, so save yourself the points). By dropping the power weapons and going from Mephiston to a bare bones Librarian, you can afford a Furioso in a drop pod. Other than that, I love your list. At least, it's close to what I play.

Mephiston gets good mileage out of Wings. Especially in a mech list where you want him to be mobile. He's brilliant in 6th if you don't throw him into things he can't kill.

You'd probably do better with that list though with a 10 man Assault squad with jump packs with 2 melta and a serg with Lightning Claw and Meltabomb, 2 5 man RAS in Razorbacks (drop the Axes) and a Librarian with Jump Pack and Force Axe to join the Assault Marines casting Shield and Unleash Rage

Lightning Claws - I remember in my last real SM army, my HQ was a chaplain with dual lightning claws. Well, thats not possible anymore.

Storm Ravens - Tomjoad, I appreciate those words. I'd really rather avoid buying any storm ravens, then paying the extra 26 bucks to get the extension kit each, to make them look sensible. I see, Fragiso seems to be a popular term these days. I had built a Furioso with blood talons, cause I thought it looked really cool. But, It doesn't seem to fit into any kind of complimentary list. Looks like all the rage is Frag cannons.

I don't see vindicators in many lists. Do they start becoming irrelevant in turns 4 and 5?

Mephiston, I appreciate all the advice on him. Looking at the List, it looks like Brother Morticon is managing Meph's reelection campaign. I used a countsas, and ran him against some grey knights..... which was stupid. So thats what I did, threw him at stuff that he couldn't survive. I guess, with the above mentioned comments, running him surrounded by SG is absolutely inane. Shame. it'd look pretty cool.

Also I just discovered, tonight even, that Mephiston Red... is absolutely not Mechrite red. Great. Thanks GW! Time to strip some model. 

Looking at the List, it looks like Brother Morticon is managing Meph's reelection campaign.

teehee.gif whistlingW.gif

I think im gonna write up a detailed Tactica on this guy. I feel in tourney settings he's indespensible.

But to your original question, do not consider 6th ed powers unless you're fighting an entire DW army. The option of mobility is too good.

I think im gonna write up a detailed Tactica on this guy. I feel in tourney settings he's indespensible.

Oooh, I would greatly appreciate your compiled thoughts on our little red Lord of Hamburger-time. I've had *nothing but HUGE success with him amongst my assault marine + priest core, but I would like to digest every little tip, trick, and perspective I possibly can.

Plus, Meph is an extremely sexy dude: the very paragon of manliness and a powerhouse of lady-killer prowess thumbsup.gif.

*EDIT: Well, I actually have had failures with Meph, too, so "nothing but HUGE success" is a hyperbole for me. My failures definitely happened because I used him incorrectly when I first used him. That's the last time I gloriously fly him unsupported into 6 IG melta-vets... Other times have just been unlucky perils rolls on Wings of Sanguinius, which hindered his late game capabilities.

If assault marines are the "sword" of BA, and priests and libbies are the "shield", then in the right hands Meph is the "grenade".

I don't see vindicators in many lists. Do they start becoming irrelevant in turns 4 and 5?

I often field 2 vindicators. My raven has flown once. Too expensive and too few turns in the game.

Sometimes I run 3 vindicators. :)

Vindicators and assault marines are not best friends. I've had a few bad scatters. A mess....

Vindicators are still scary and ours are fast which makes them really good actually. You should run 2 if you have the models, they will scare your opponent quite a bit :)

I feel Stormravens are necessary if the people at your store like to spam a lot of the strong flyers, but if they don't you can do fine without him (I even feel he's quite unfair if your opponent can't deal with him).

Mephiston with codex powers is amazing, always go for him if you want to make a competitive list :)

I genuinely think you'd get more bang for your buck with a pair of Divination Libbies, which cost less (or the same if you add jump packs) as Mephiston. Either way, our HQ options stink. There's just no reason to waste a Land Raiders worth of points on one guy that gets countered by so many things you're likely to see.

Anyway, your Vindis should be doing damage on turn 1 most games. 24" isn't long range, but their threat range is 36" due to being fast, so they should always have SOME decent target, even if it isn't the kind of big terminator squad or whatever that you'd really like to hit.

As far as anti-air, I didn't mention this before, but you'd be surprised at how decently the Baal can do. Against the Hell Drake or 5+ flier Cron Air, it isn't ever going to be enough. But, against lists with only 1 or 2 fliers, especially if you get around behind a Drake or Vendetta, the Baal has a reasonable chance of knocking it down. I don't have the time to do the math on it, but anecdotally it has worked well for me.

Vindies are fun but most people lack them. Also being one of two armies that can have a vindi that can move 12" and fire means you can scare them to death with em. Trust me, most people don't like the idea of you being in their deployment zone in 2 turns with a demolisher cannon.

If looking for a friendly game see if you can find someone who doesn't want to run flyers. It's more fun that way if you don't have any.

Also don't forget Meph can't join units so if you want a libby in ride with your squads then he can't do it.

Archived