Painting Death Company Helmets

Jakbal

So I'm working on building out my Death Company ... and I had an idea about my paint scheme, but I'm not 100% on how it will turn out & thought I'd submit a query.  I was thinking that my Death Company would have black bodies, but the color of the helmet would reflect their previous squad / position.  For instance, I have started with 5 simple bolter marines ... they have red helmets as they were tactical marines.  I am going to add a plasma gunner and give him a blue helmet (devastator), and was thinking about throwing in a guy with a hammer having a gold helmet (Honour Guard).  Bolt Pistol / Chainsword would have yellow helmets (as they came from assault squads), and maybe a black helmet for a power fist or LC indicating that that member used to be a Sergeant.  I figure I'd eventually create a few with white helmets meaning that they came from a veteran squad.

I like this idea, but I'm worried it may turn out looking very random.   Any thoughts?

Do it, its a pretty cool idea!

I've put a sanguinary guard head on one DC member and painted it gold - they can fall to the rage too, after all!

Models typicall retain their usual weapons once they enter the DC, so sergeants may have power weapons and fists.

Do you mean plasma pistolier? DC cannot have plasma guns...nor can Devastators. 

Do it, its a pretty cool idea!

I've put a sanguinary guard head on one DC member and painted it gold - they can fall to the rage too, after all!

Models typicall retain their usual weapons once they enter the DC, so sergeants may have power weapons and fists.

Do you mean plasma pistolier? DC cannot have plasma guns...nor can Devastators. 

Thanks for the encouragement!   And also the comments re: Plasma Guns.  Glad you wrote that before I did the modeling ... This is making me excited to expand my death company, as it gives them more of a story in my mind.

The idea of a Death Co trooper clubbing someone with a missle launches is awesome.

Those story bits like you're suggesting in an army make it really great. If there's some way to communicate that, like in your list print out, or with the names on the scroll work, etc.

It'll look good when they're all in a squad. Like a Deathwatch, but Blood Angel specific, and tragic.

If you wanted to get a devastator marine in there you could model one using a missile launcher as a "ccw" tongue.png

I'm definitely going to model some sort of Heavy Weapon so that I can include the blue helmet ... but maybe I should do it with a standard bolter. I really like the fluff angle on this idea ... Now lets hope I can arm the unit in a way that makes it competitive!

Thunder Missile Launcher?

Thunder Missile Launcher.........Lol, Indeed!

See that's not a horrible idea, but the way I envision it would be, the Devastator having his heavy weapon taken away and given something along the lines of a plasma pistol or melta pistol, but not a hand flamer.....that would be more for an assault or tactical dude.  This way the guy still has that stopping power he's used to.

Archived