Which new models have you bought and what do you recommend?

[TA]Typher

Belial

IMO this model isn't that great. I already made my own conversion, which I think looks a lot better. But, if I didn't have one I could see buying one and converting it to fix the legs. I suppose making one from the DW Term box would be easier.

Asmodai

Again, like Belial the lower half of this model just looks wrong to me. I have the old model, which I really think has stood the test of time, and looks better than the new model. Either way the new rules for him aren't that great and I find it hard to use him when there are better options.

DeathWing Term Box

I actually bought one of these. This seems like the best value/upgrade for the Dark Angels. I used it to make 5 Deathwings Knights, a Champion and a plasma cannon Term (I had to use some of the extra bits I already had). So far I've used the Knights in a few battles and they really seem to do well. I defiantly think it is worth getting.

RavenWing Command bikes

I don't have a RW army, but from what I understand the Knights do fairly well in games. From everything I've read they are pretty good. If I have a RW army these would be a must.

Landspeeder Vengence/Deathshroud

This one I'm on the fence with. I don't have a Ravenwing army (Just DW and PA amries), so the DarkShroud seems a little less important. However, I'm really curious about the Vengence. I have a couple of speeders now and really like them. The self-glancing mechanic seems to put me off from buying it. I do use plasma guns and cannons, but tend to kill myself often. Has anyone used this, and if so how did it do? Did you glance yourself to death? Do you think it's worth buying? I like the idea of it, but it tends to remind me of my Fantasy Orc army... too random to predict it's usefulness.

Dark Talon/Nephilim -EDIT-

I like the look of it. But Haven't seen or heard it being really worth the money. I know it's not the best flier so far, but that's ok if it's at least useful. Everything I've read says it isn't, but I haven't seen any Batreps that used it or heard any feedback for actually games. Can anyone give me some information about it? Did it pay for itself in the game?

After reading all of the thread Deathwing Cloud made regarding it, it seems like it's not worth getting. I'd still like to a couple of battle reports of information about it.

I have all of the new models. As far as tabletop worth goes, the Black Knights shine the most out of all of the new Dark Angels goodies. I suggest geting two boxes to make them a squad of 6.

The Deathwing Terminators are a must. I have over 50 Terminators, but this did not change the fact that it was necessary to include them in my collection. They feel like the most iconic new unit fo us.

The Belial model doesn't look bad when he's standing amongst an army of Deathwing. In fact, he stands out in a much more epic way than he appears to when observing the model on it's lonesome.

Everything else? Take them or leave them, it's down to personal preference.

I bought 3 boxes of DW. I made a 5 men DW command squad, a 6 men DWK squad, 1 custom Belial, 3 sergeants for my regular DW squads. I used all the DW boxes bits to bling 3 boxes of regular termies to make (having a squad from DV too) four 6 men DW squads.

I bought 2 boxes of RW to make a RW command squad and converting the 3 bikes from DV a 6 men BK squad.

I have 1 DS and 1 LSV.

I have only one flyer still in its box cause i like the model but i cant find a place in my list for none of them so i will Wait until i will finish painting my new squads.

I bought Asmodai too cause it's a nice model but i field him ad a regular IntChap.

I think the best box for DA is the DW one cause you can build regular DW squads too with it.

RW box is pretty good but you dont have regular RAS out of this box and you have to use the old conversion sprue.

The DS/LSV is not the best looking DA veichle but it's very useful and you will always have at least a DS, sometimes a LSV too.

If GW wont fix the flyers you can leave the DT/NJF on the shelf of the shop.

Asmodai is cool looking but with poor rules and you can use to make a regular chap. If you dont like Belial model you can make a good looking one out of DW box.

Bought one box of termies. Made DW knights out of them and combined with legs and torsos and various bits, have enough parts to make a command squad with PC and a regular CML, bringing my termie count to 30 total.

I bought two Deathwing Command Squads and two Ravenwing Command Squads. In my opinion these are one of the best boxes GW has released so far. Minis are great, there are plenty of gear options inside (all weapon options for all configurations woot!) and bits you get are just amazing. Contents of those boxes is worth the money. If you build Deathwing or Ravenwing you don't have to spend a lot of money and time on searching additional bits and weapons to equip your squads as everything is inside. On top of that quality of every single bit inside is superb. Additionally you can build a much better looking Belial and TDA Librarian from the bits you get then the generic finecast models that GW sells. With a Ravenwing Command Squad there is completely no problem with building an amazing Librarian on a bike. My wife doesn't know yet but I'm in a secret love with those boxes :)

So far I bought the DW terminator box, and I really like it, despite my initial skeptism about the look of the DWK. I assembled a five man squad of tactical DWs and a Belial from it, planning to do a terminator librarian too, with some extra bits.

I will never, ever buy a Darkshroud. It is just too ugly.

Other than that, I guess the new kits look alright? Not a fan of Belial.

the DW box for sure, and I suspect the same would be true of the ravenwing knights/command box.  The flier...it's great from a modeling perspective, but not so hot on the tabletop, especially for the $$$ spent.  I suspect the same would be true of the darkshroud.  I plan to model on up with a chaplain in the "pulpit" and a chin-mounted gun (assault cannon, but only because it's the easier conversion!)

Belial...meh, make your own!

The dark shroud / vengeance is ambiguous. As a dark shroud, its not worth it IMHO. THere are tons of cover ignoring things. If you meet a list that hasnt any it can be golden with  a bike screen, but as soon as ignores cover starts it gets ugly.

The vengeance I made it work. People consider me crazy but to my play style, its more reliable than a vindicator.

For one it can deepstrike and blow stuff. Its a finesse tool and it has to be used as one. Its not a tank to endure punishment. Its a glass cannon to be deployed at certain times against certain targets.

Modeling wise I hate them both, but somehow they grew on me.

In my limited experience...most things that ignore cover don't ignore power armor...stuff like that exists, like the stupid drake breath weapon thingy, and the redeemer...but it's rare, and almost none of it is faster than a bike!

/edit/

That said, I play DW, not RW, so my desire to have a darkshroud (converted to mount a chappy in the pulpit and chin-mount the not-worth-the-extra-points assault cannon) is pure hobby, zero game.  It'd likely see the tabletop...every other year, maybe?  About as often as my tau do, lol.

I bought several of the terminator kits.  I think it was 4 box sets plus extra bits on top of that.  I also got one of the ravenwing black knights box sets and two of the nephilims.   I couldn't get into the character models or the speeders.  Those kits for me just were not great sculpts.  I like the rules behind those speeders, I just can't get past the fact that they are extended speeders which make no sense and not new speeder types.  I personally think GW dropped the ball on the new speeders and the new character sculpts are just bad models.  Belial in particular has a great sword, but his posing is so unnatural, they tried to make a straight terminator, but he suit design would prevent that, plus the sculptor apparently doesn't fully understand human anatomy, yet alone the anatomy of a human inside a suit.  

Either way, the terminators and bikes are a must have.  Even if all you are doing is adding one unit of deathwing knights to your huge deathwing army, or looking to spice up command units, the robed terminators are just too cool to not buy.  The black knights are worth adding if you have any ravenwing, even a small unit of 3, juts because they are an amazing unit, and what's not to love about plasma talons and corvus hammers.  

As for the flyers, they might not get much use, but they sure do look amazing.  I am also partial to jets and having an airforce for my marines.  I got two for the painting contest, but also both of mine are nephilims, one with twin lascannons and one with mega bolter.  I don't like magnets for all things, they work good on somethings but I was out of magnets and felt that having one was great, but I needed two for a wingman.   The dark talon is great support rules wise, I am still struggling to get over the fact that its an aircraft with marble added to it.  Doesn't make any sense to me from an aerodynamic point of view, or military point of view either.  It might add some cool gothic feel, but aircrafts are made of lightweight strong materials so they can fly, not solid rock. 

In my limited experience...most things that ignore cover don't ignore power armor...stuff like that exists, like the stupid drake breath weapon thingy, and the redeemer...but it's rare, and almost none of it is faster than a bike!

/edit/

That said, I play DW, not RW, so my desire to have a darkshroud (converted to mount a chappy in the pulpit and chin-mount the not-worth-the-extra-points assault cannon) is pure hobby, zero game. It'd likely see the tabletop...every other year, maybe? About as often as my tau do, lol.

Blast masters. Use a ravenwing bike army against blast masters. But be carefull, have your granddads presure pills and sublinguals at the ready, its a dangerous exercise.

EDIT: The chaplain on the pulpit is an idea officially stolen msn-wink.gif

Midnight, just because its coloured grey it doesnt mean its marble. It might be a metal cast simply coloured to look like marble.

Aerodynamics and sense? WHAT IS THAT? They mount cathedrals on titans my friend biggrin.png

Plus our infantry runs with two tons of book,scrollwork, chains and books attached...A bit of marble can be used as a counter weight me thinks msn-wink.gif

Now Imagine if they had a dozen skulls chained and flying (and on fire to boot) from them....

I'm in kind of an odd category, as I used to play vanilla marines until somehow most of my collection disappeared (I'm not yet sure whether to blame thieves or an over zealous father-in-law who was cleaning my garage after we moved). Regardless, I had a bunch of bikes left, some terminators, some landraiders, and a vindicator, so I switched to DA when the codex came out. I've built things up on the cheap, getting a couple of boxes of Dark Vengeance to beef up my terminator ranks and build my counts-as-Azrael. I bought a DA vet set to make a command squad to go with him. I bought the RW Command squad to fill make some black knights - mixing all the bits with my existing bikes, I'm also building a bike standard-bearer and a RW champion on the off chance I field an actual RW command squad.

Otherwise, I haven't bought many actual sets. I've bought bits and pieces off ebay, and made use of the tons of RW upgrade sprues that I inherited from various people. I made my own Belial and even built up an entire Sammael on Corvex from plastic bits. I'm actually having lots of fun deciding how to build up each guy.

I started a whole other thread about how I found it odd and a bit sad that the really new kits (Neph/Talon and Shroud/LSV) aren't compelling enough for me to buy them. Maybe I'll get some GW gift cards for my birthday and I'll buy one when it's not my money I'm spending. Then again, maybe I'll buy the DW box, since I don't have any DW knights, and from all accounts they are a must-have.

I'm almost glad my old marines went AWOL. I love building up a new army. Now if I only loved painting as much as I love modeling...

Right, blastmasters. One flavor found in one codex.  40k is rock paper scissors.  Blastmasters are paper to your rock.  I would not let the existence of blastmasters convince me that a darkshroud shepherding my bikes is a bad idea.  Hell, their cover save is blown with or without the darkshroud, so it's either soldier on or play a different army.  You're equally as screwed against blastmasters whether you have the darkshroud or not....well, marginally more so, since the points could have been spent on something else...but it's more than offset by the improved cover save against every other codex out there.

Heh...playing RW against blastmasters is like playing DW against DE lance spam.  I drew TWO lance spam lists in the last ard boyz regionals...I beat one (killed all three ravagers on the top of turn one, so....), and drew against the other...and the smart money was definitely against me in both games! 

I've bought everything but the Darkshroud/Vengeance Box. As I really dislike land speeders, but thats just me tongue.png

I haven't opened my Ravenwing Command Squad box yet (as I have a tendency to buy a ton of stuff and only put together a few things. . . ) so I can't comment on them.

But the Terminator box. Wow. Just wow. Soooo many bits its awesome. Its like having a Dark Angels Chapter Upgrade kit but only for Terminators. Its just amazing and I can't wait to add them to the vanilla Terminators I have.

The Nephilim Jetfighter/Dark Talon kit is really nice. So nice I bought two, but the rules are just so bad I feel like I wasted 150 USD. Ah well there's always next codex right? sad.png

I bought Belial just for his arms, since I prefer my Lysander conversion. Now I actually have to get around to paint said arms biggrin.png

And since I have an old Asmodai I didn't buy a new one, but I can see why people don't like it compared to the old one. Personally I think its okay. Not outstanding, just okay.

Right, blastmasters. One flavor found in one codex.  40k is rock paper scissors.  Blastmasters are paper to your rock.  I would not let the existence of blastmasters convince me that a darkshroud shepherding my bikes is a bad idea.  Hell, their cover save is blown with or without the darkshroud, so it's either soldier on or play a different army.  You're equally as screwed against blastmasters whether you have the darkshroud or not....well, marginally more so, since the points could have been spent on something else...but it's more than offset by the improved cover save against every other codex out there.

Heh...playing RW against blastmasters is like playing DW against DE lance spam.  I drew TWO lance spam lists in the last ard boyz regionals...I beat one (killed all three ravagers on the top of turn one, so....), and drew against the other...and the smart money was definitely against me in both games! 

Also, a list with blastmasters is going to have access to the helturkey, so that helps limit the bad match ups. Other armies that hurt the DS are IG with barrage weapons, and tau. The biggest downside really, is that all of those are really popular armies, so that's something to take into consideration when making a decision about it. Personally, I still think it's worth it. When it's working, it's working well. When it isn't working, that's really just the luck of the draw.

Great Feed back guys!

I think it's pretty overwhelming thumbs up for the the DW and RW boxes. I agree. These are probably one of the best boxes I've seen GW put out.

Not alot of good reviews for Asmodai or Belial, which I kind of figured would happen.

People seems more mixed on the The Nephilim Jetfighter/Dark Talon, with the majority saying that the model is nice, but that's about it.

Can anyone give me more actual battle information about the Vengeance? Did it do well? did it kill anything? did it glance itself to death? Do you feel that fielding it has been worth the points so far? I'm not interested in the collecting it just to have all the models aspect, while I love the DA I can't just toss money away if I don't have to (damn budget).

Yeah and I completely tabled them on the rematch, your point been?

It will only get worse if half the new tau rumours are true. An option that doesnt cut it simply doesnt cut it. All it takes is a single missile to take it out of action. And its going to have firepower directed at it due its force multiplying factor. I am not saying its useless, I am saying its not what it looks on paper. ANd if you think the chaos codex is one thing you probably havent faced a banewolf squadron and I can name at least one unit from each codex capable of negating cover. Things are not as simple as you make them to be.

Then again it might be the reverse of what happens to me with the vengeance. For some reason I am the only person I know that can work with it.

TLDR: Millenage may vary and to each his own.

And

since I have an old Asmodai I didn't buy a new one, but I can see why

people don't like it compared to the old one. Personally I think its

okay. Not outstanding, just okay.

The model is ok I guess. What bugs me more is the wasted oportunity. Why we couldnt have something like this:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/img3d258eb87206b.jpg

Can anyone give me more actual battle information about the Vengeance? Did it do well? did it kill anything? did it glance itself to death? Do you feel that fielding it has been worth the points so far? I'm not interested in the collecting it just to have all the models aspect, while I love the DA I can't just toss money away if I don't have to (damn budget).

I ve been proxiying the thing for days. Common wisdom says its worthless. Mine have preformed. Not stellar but they gave a victory or two.

The thing is you dont deploy them with the rest of the line and you want it to enter into late play. Something which you wont control OFC with reserves and deepstrike been what they are.

In two relic missions I had it deep strike and whipe out clusters of marines with its heavy bolter and plasma plate of doom.

Its a finiky option. Kicks like a mule and handles like one. But its more mobile and fragile than a vindicator. If I had the models I would have used it with a speeder squadron as a screen but alas I do not.

EDIT: Oh and BTW, in regards to the hell turkey, it has a 40 inches effective threat range, so its faster than a bike in a sense.

I think that the LSV is hard to handle but funny to play once you accept that it's a glass cannon.

If the plasma battery was TL it would be Perfect IMHO.

We can only hope in a FAQ.

I use both DWK and BK and they both perform good. I tryed DWCS and the Champion is amazing of you get a DWS too (+1A to all units near the standard). RWCS is good for the nice RWS to protect Sammael or a divinatory librarian. I still dislike the BoC. I regulary use DS and i like to make a Speeder wing with LSV and DS.

The flyers are near to useless but only compared to older flyers. Tau ones seem to be in line with DA ones so We can hope new flyers will make ours useful.

So far I've had just two new kits: RW command and Nephilim. Both are have clear and crips details and very nice models. The Commandsquad prue was... Well, so many toys, bits and peices with great details, it was amazing. I've assembled 3 Black knights and already magnetized Huntmasters arm for corvus hammer, power sword and power maul. Nephilim was nice too. Magnetizing the TLLC / Avenger Mega Bolter is optional as mine was already so snug fit that both were securely attached by friction.

Archived