Optimal size for DWK

Cod

Well, after getting excited/inspired about all the dw related posts on here lately, I asked the easter bunny for another dw box, and he delivered!!!

So, now I'm wondering about making a 5 man squad of dw, or, making that interrogator chaplain and making a larger unit of dwk's, which might be fun (for apocalypse), or just overkill?!

Any suggestions for how people are using their dwk units, as in what size seems best.

It depends on your purpose for them. What is their plan and what component are they filling in your army. Normally, the higher the point limit, the more Terminators you'd be putting in, but if there are other units sharing the same component, make sure you don't spend too many points in that one area. As it happens, DWK are good at a multitude or rolls.

For now, I suggest starting small and seeing what works for you. Buy a 5 man box, and work with it for a few games. There's no point buying two boxes flat out if you end up rarely planning on using more than 5 men in your standard games, naturally.

i use a squad of 6/7 and i put them in a LRC with a IC with crozius+mace

+1

I build the rest of my list around them, then hope to have points left to increase the size of my crusader-mounted knights. My current list has six. It had eight, but I dropped two for a techmarine with PFG and servitor, doubling the durability of my crusaders seemed more important msn-wink.gif (no TDAIC in my version, though...maybe at the 2k point level...but really, he's overkill!)

Yeah i have to agree with the others. The size of your DWK squad should depend on what Landraider you put them in. Currently i have been running a 5 DWK squad with an IC and a techmarine with a PFG in a Godhammer, but a 7 man in a Crusader works just as well.

BTW. march10k what is this 2 Landraider Deathwing list you keep teasing us with?

Me?  I'm just quoting Ephilio...  ;)

Here's the 1850 point version:

HQ:

Belial (sword of silence)

Techmarine with PFG and 1 servitor

Elites:

6 Knights with dedicated LRC

Troops:

DW1 (2xTLC, 2xTH/SS, HF/CF) with dedicated LRC (Belial goes here)

DW2 (SB/PS, AC/PF, SB/CF, 2xSB/PF) (DWA)

DW3 (SB/PS, AC/PF, SB/CF, 2xSB/PF) (DWA)

The plan is to always go second. That gives me two advantages. First, I get to see the enemy's deployment before I place my two crusaders. They will be deployed in the spot that gives them the best chance to deliver their cargo to the critical spot on the battlefield without getting blown up enroute. Second, going second means two full turns of the enemy having nothing to shoot at except for two AV14 venerable 4++ vehicles. On turn one, the tanks go flat out to get Belial's telehomer as deep as possible before the DWA. On the bottom of turn two, the DWA arrives, I open up with four twinlinked ass cannons, four hurribolters, eight twinlinked stormbolters, and belial's stormbolter...then the two mounted squads charge. This allows me to focus the fighting strength of my full 1850 points against a fraction of the enemy list, achieving overwhelming local superiority while the rest of his army looks on in horror. I think the crusaders will be tough enough to survive even lance fire, what with the rerolls and the 4++.

+1

I build the rest of my list around them, then hope to have points left to increase the size of my crusader-mounted knights. My current list has six. It had eight, but I dropped two for a techmarine with PFG and servitor, doubling the durability of my crusaders seemed more important msn-wink.gif (no TDAIC in my version, though...maybe at the 2k point level...but really, he's overkill!)

I seem to remember you been quite vocal against 6 men squads (in favour of 5) when I raised the suggestion a while back on the grounds of maxing heavy weapons...Or was it someone else?

Anyway six men is the way to go for me as well, the knights I always keep them around the 7 mark because I attach either a libby or a chaplain to them.

+1

I seem to remember you been quite vocal against 6 men squads (in favour of 5) when I raised the suggestion a while back on the grounds of maxing heavy weapons...Or was it someone else?

Anyway six men is the way to go for me as well, the knights I always keep them around the 7 mark because I attach either a libby or a chaplain to them.

definitely wasn't me ;) the most vocal I've been lately has been against plasma cannon termies, and in favor of 2x5 (scoring) termies over 1x10. Other than that, I've been...quiet, lol.

+1

definitely wasn't me msn-wink.gif the most vocal I've been lately has been against plasma cannon termies, and in favor of 2x5 (scoring) termies over 1x10. Other than that, I've been...quiet, lol.

My bad then.

Thank you march10k.

That lists looks very interesting, i got try it at some point.

I know this is slightly OT, but considering it is a list that involves DWK and the use DWK i hope it will be allowed.

I have a few questions.

Is there a reason you have taken the Landraiders as dedicated transports, rather than heavy support? If they were heavy support, they would count as scoring units during "Big Guns Never Tire".

Have tried this list, against lists that involve flyers? In that case what did you do? did you simply ignore them?

I guess the Crusaders would score in big guns always tire, but they'd also give up bonus VP, no?  Anyway, I may try that and see how it goes.  And, yes, I ignore fliers.  What can a flier do to my list?  Conversely, what can I do to get better at shooting them down, without getting disproportionately worse at everything else?  TBH, this list benefits from people taking fliers, each flier means one less squad on the table (or 2-3, in the case of guard), and it benefits from the current AA craze.  Weapons that are designed to shoot down fliers...aren't shooting down land raiders and terminators! 

I don't think they would score in Big Guns because they aren't heavy support choices, they are Dedicated Transports. Now if you took them as Heavy Support choices. . .

My perfect size of Deathwing Knights is 7ish. It usually ends up being 7, but I don't want to say always go with 7 tongue.png

Me? I'm just quoting Ephilio... msn-wink.gif

Uh oh, I have to be a little more careful at what I say now ph34r.png tongue.png

But seriously, its an awesome list and everyone should try it at least once!

And you dropped it to 6 Deathwing Knights for a Techmarine with PFG? I've been thinking about doing the same thing for that list at 1850 because you're 100%. Protecting those 2 Land Raiders are a bit more important than 2 Deathwing Knights. Now if we could only figure out how to get a Interragator-Chaplain with Mace of Redemption in there teehee.gif

Having recently tried out the TDAIC /w MoR flanked by 7 knights in a LRC I would cast my vote in this direction, in the case of friendly games at least. The look of horror as the land raider gunned it up the board with not so much as a chip in the paintwork  and unloaded the deliverers of mega death as I've found the knights to be was something quite beautiful

Me? I'm just quoting Ephilio... msn-wink.gif

HQ:

Belial (sword of silence)

Techmarine with PFG and 1 servitor

Elites:

6 Knights with dedicated LRC

Troops:

DW1 (2xTLC, 2xTH/SS, HF/CF) with dedicated LRC (Belial goes here)

DW2 (SB/PS, AC/PF, SB/CF, 2xSB/PF) (DWA)

DW3 (SB/PS, AC/PF, SB/CF, 2xSB/PF) (DWA)

The plan is to always go second. That gives me two advantages. First, I get to see the enemy's deployment before I place my two crusaders. They will be deployed in the spot that gives them the best chance to deliver their cargo to the critical spot on the battlefield without getting blown up enroute. Second, going second means two full turns of the enemy having nothing to shoot at except for two AV14 venerable 4++ vehicles. On turn one, the tanks go flat out to get Belial's telehomer as deep as possible before the DWA. On the bottom of turn two, the DWA arrives, I open up with four twinlinked ass cannons, four hurribolters, eight twinlinked stormbolters, and belial's stormbolter...then the two mounted squads charge. This allows me to focus the fighting strength of my full 1850 points against a fraction of the enemy list, achieving overwhelming local superiority while the rest of his army looks on in horror. I think the crusaders will be tough enough to survive even lance fire, what with the rerolls and the 4++.

I have a quick question about this list. What is the techmarine doing? The techmarine and servitor can't attach themselves to any units, since the servitor ins't an IC as well. Is there something I've overlooked about this?

Archived