Assault initiative order issues

ASSASSINAWOKEN

Normally I use a librarian for my HQ who is attached to an assault squad for better performance. I keep facing the same problem with my librarian only having an I of 4 and a measly amount of attacks compared to other HQ units. Is this the reason why most BA players turn to Characters for their HQ choices? I usually take sheild and unleash rage powers. The only I boosting power in the rulebook is a gamble if I can get it.

I think the initiative bonus from furious charge really hurt the BAs a lot as many units used the I bonus and now only gain a S bonus. I am thinking about using Dante as he has a better WS, W, I and save and keeping the librarian as a support unit. Dante can survive multiple AP3 hits and has a good chance versus the AP 2/1 or ID. I forget if his axe is AP 3/2 and what I order it strikes at, but he has a better chance to survive than the librarian. The librarian I have to use his psychic power to augment his abilities and can't cast the ID ability power from his force sword.

I seem to always get my librarian killed thereby giving my opponent slay the warlord free of charge. I am not too interested in Mephiston as he is a bit pricey for 1500 points and Dante might be as well.

Can some of you offer me some advice or correction.

You seem to be using a librarian as a combatty character, whereas, in fact, they are a support character.

You have realised this yourself in looking at the statline. Why take biomancy buffs on a librarian to make him as good a fighter as a special character, reclusiarch or meph is normally?

The I4 is offset by giving him an axe, and hanging back in combat so as not to be singled out.

Prescience is better than unleash rage, as it works in both turns for one cast, meaning you can then force weapon in your opponents turn or use another power. shield of sanguinius is replicated for free by making better use of cover.

Not sure why you'd consider Dante over Meph if price is a concern for ya.  Dante's axe is AP2 and strikes at init1. He's a great character- but not worth 225 points. 

Xenith hit the nail on the head with Divination though.  Its much better than rage.  And shield is only so useful (depending on  your army).

My advice is to change how the libby is played.  I play mine with Axes and ensure that theyre not the ones taking up the challenges. 

That way they can come in and smack down with 4 WS5 precision strike attacks on the charge- with an axe its s5 and with FC its s6. 

Get a lowly sarge to take the challenge and use that libby with divination! 

I usually run my ASM with a libby attached. If a nasty challenge character comes along, I toss him my sergeant to munch on (I usually run with SS on my sergeants, so they can sometimes survive a round or two) while the libby and the rest of the squad take out the rest of the enemy. You can get lucky and sweep them if they're not fearless, and at least delay for another round for some more support to arrive.

Not sure why you'd consider Dante over Meph if price is a concern for ya.  Dante's axe is AP2 and strikes at init1. He's a great character- but not worth 225 points. 

Xenith hit the nail on the head with Divination though.  Its much better than rage.  And shield is only so useful (depending on  your army).

My advice is to change how the libby is played.  I play mine with Axes and ensure that theyre not the ones taking up the challenges. 

That way they can come in and smack down with 4 WS5 precision strike attacks on the charge- with an axe its s5 and with FC its s6. 

Get a lowly sarge to take the challenge and use that libby with divination! 

I agree with the above (though it makes me sad to say Dante really isn't worth the points since I use him every game).

Force axes on libbies every time.

This might seem like a noobish question but why is dante described at init 6 when he only has a weapon

that can be used at ini 1? Or do all units have a generic ccw without any attributes that can

be used at their normal initiative?

Edit: rulebook p. 51 only describes units with no spwcifically stated ccw.

Hence my qustion :)

All models have a profile initiative value.

When they attack in close combat, you apply any initiative modifiers from the weapons they are using.

ergo: If Dante uses his unwieldy axe, he attacks at I1. If he chooses to pistol whip his opponent, he goes at I6.

So to sum it up you can always choose to attack at the profile iniative value but if they do so that attack is str user ap -?

Not always, no.  In Dante's case he can choose to attack with either his Axe Mortalis (with the associated I1), or he can choose to pistol-whip his opponent (at S User/I User/AP -).

If he were not armed with the Infernus Pistol, he could not make use of the "no specified melee weapon" rule because he would still be armed with a specified melee weapon (The Axe Mortalis) and would then be force to choose that as his CC weapon.

So to sum it up you can always choose to attack at the profile iniative value but if they do so that attack is str user ap -?

Not always, no.  In Dante's case he can choose to attack with either his Axe Mortalis (with the associated I1), or he can choose to pistol-whip his opponent (at S User/I User/AP -).

If he were not armed with the Infernus Pistol, he could not make use of the "no specified melee weapon" rule because he would still be armed with a specified melee weapon (The Axe Mortalis) and would then be force to choose that as his CC weapon.

Makes sense. Cheers for clearing it out and sorry for hi-jacking the thread :p

Archived