Help against IG

Nasse

Wait, is he bringing Valks or Vendettas. Because Marines pretty much laugh off most Valkyrie shooting last I checked. Vendettas though are a bit tougher, but dropping into their half gives them a hard target to hit.

He had a box of that flying thingymabob. I presume he could take whichever.

To be honest, I haven't seen a single flier in any of my 6th ed games yet.

Vendettas are good but if he hovers they are easy to kill with most good ranged weapons, and if not simply stay close to his side of the board. Or assault things.

This may seem harsh, but if the point is under 1750 and he has brought or is bringing THREE manticores, you should be allowed to punch him in his happy place per missile fired.

I have been, and I have watched, 2000 point lists get tabled on turn 1 due to lucky manticore shots. If you are deepstrike anything at all, it just gets worse. He has brought a WAAC list, and sadly the only way to counter a WAAC list to be equally cheap. It does not seem you are that kind of player or have the models to do it though.

If he is bringing Valks, he has at least realized this, and is changing his play style to be more mutually fun, but still challenging. If this is the case, the kudos to him. Valks vs marines are underwhelming, but will allow him to move troops around pretty quickly. If he is bringing vendettas and three of them, at under 1750, then the happy place comment is replaced. If they are squadroned, he is going to wipe a Termie squad a turn off the board.

The best advice is to sit down and remind him that you don't have a huge collection, and limited options, and while you want a fun and challenging game, you don't view a merciless massacre as fun or challenging, just frustrating.

To deal with Manticores in mass you have two choices. If you lose turn one, and have multistoried building terrain (NOT BUILDINGS, but ruins with multiple floors.) put your dudes on the first floor, and reserve as much as possible. If you are lucky, he will forget barrage always hits the top floor and will waste at least one missile. Use DWA to bring down Assault Cannons or Plasma Cannons and try and remove his manticores.

Option 2: If you place objectives, place them on the bottom floor of ruins, and then just ignore the manticores, risk deepstrikes in the ruins, and sit on the objectives under the protective awning of the building. (If using beliel, this is even less scary, although I would run Azrael her, so the bikes could be scoring as well, and sit on an objective.)

You should still be able to shoot up his vets from these positions, and you force him to come to you.

This is a cheap tactic and boring game, but honestly, it is a way to really frustrate one trick pony lists like mech-manti guard.

This may seem harsh, but if the point is under 1750 and he has brought or is bringing THREE manticores, you should be allowed to punch him in his happy place per missile fired.

I have been, and I have watched, 2000 point lists get tabled on turn 1 due to lucky manticore shots. If you are deepstrike anything at all, it just gets worse. He has brought a WAAC list, and sadly the only way to counter a WAAC list to be equally cheap. It does not seem you are that kind of player or have the models to do it though.

If he is bringing Valks, he has at least realized this, and is changing his play style to be more mutually fun, but still challenging. If this is the case, the kudos to him. Valks vs marines are underwhelming, but will allow him to move troops around pretty quickly. If he is bringing vendettas and three of them, at under 1750, then the happy place comment is replaced. If they are squadroned, he is going to wipe a Termie squad a turn off the board.

The best advice is to sit down and remind him that you don't have a huge collection, and limited options, and while you want a fun and challenging game, you don't view a merciless massacre as fun or challenging, just frustrating.

To deal with Manticores in mass you have two choices. If you lose turn one, and have multistoried building terrain (NOT BUILDINGS, but ruins with multiple floors.) put your dudes on the first floor, and reserve as much as possible. If you are lucky, he will forget barrage always hits the top floor and will waste at least one missile. Use DWA to bring down Assault Cannons or Plasma Cannons and try and remove his manticores.

Option 2: If you place objectives, place them on the bottom floor of ruins, and then just ignore the manticores, risk deepstrikes in the ruins, and sit on the objectives under the protective awning of the building. (If using beliel, this is even less scary, although I would run Azrael her, so the bikes could be scoring as well, and sit on an objective.)

You should still be able to shoot up his vets from these positions, and you force him to come to you.

This is a cheap tactic and boring game, but honestly, it is a way to really frustrate one trick pony lists like mech-manti guard.

Usually we comment on each other's lists by grunting and grumbling "cheese" or "beardy" under our breaths and by shaking our fists at each other, but it's all in good fun. 

The guy is actually really nice if you don't count the fact that he plays tournaments and ranking, and in my club where we have maybe 4-7 active players, I can't really choose my opponents that freely.

But yeah, if I get tabled by turn 2 I might have to make some not-so-nice comments on what kind of games I would like to play.

well get the chaos version, the only difference is it comes with a sprue for the chaos spikey bits, otherwise its the exact same kit as a normal predator.

And the lascannons are bit...dragony.

I thought the dragon heads for the guns were a part of the Chaos spiky sprue?

Not sure to be honest, havent seen the sprues myself just the end result. But knowing GW I wouldnt be surprised if that was the only option.

Last I heard they were, but I honestly don't know. The DA can do ornate, so don't sweat it if they are daemonic faces. smile.png

Ornate with angels of death/grim reapers not demonic/dragon figures. I mean everyone who sees that instantly recognises what it is. How hard can it be to file them down though?

Ornate with angels of death/grim reapers not demonic/dragon figures. I mean everyone who sees that instantly recognises what it is. How hard can it be to file them down though?

Perhaps, but I've seen more Chaos-y DA armies before and they look pretty good. Ultimately it's a matter of personal taste, but a few well chosen Chaos bitz can look rather good.

Perhaps, but I've seen more Chaos-y DA armies before and they look pretty good. Ultimately it's a matter of personal taste, but a few well chosen Chaos bitz can look rather good.

Cant say I dissagree to that.

well the extra chaos sprues could be use to for basing, they do hunt fallen, so they could wade through chaos wreckage.   YES GW is known for doing that,  the chaos rhino, predator, and land raider are nothing more than imperial versions with 1 large chaos vehicle sprue thrown in, maybe two.  This vehicle sprue often has the chaos spiky bitz, some chaos icons to mount on the side of the vehicle, chains, and one chaos combi-bolter with flamer option as well, and a chaos gunner.  It also has all those demon/dragon heads that people use on the end of their guns, you just have to clip the ends off the weapons to mount them.  Personally they are better deals just because you get the extra sprue for bitz and basing, for the same exact price as their imperial counterpart.  What they need to do is add in a marine sprue to touch up the kits, something with some marine chapter icons, vehicle sized purity seals, and books/trophies or sorts. But GW wont do that, they already make enough money off the kit with it having one less sprue than the chaos counterpart.

To be honest, if he's playing IG, it doesn't matter that terribly much what flavor it is, you want to DWA in one flank of his side of the board.  That lets you isolate a portion of his army and destroy it, while the rest of his army is busy trying to redeploy.  If he has the manticores, obviously, each one is 16% of his points, a nice little treat for your termies to munch on, and you want to be inside his minimum range anyway.  And if he's got the fliers, you want them forced to fly over your head without shooting...so again, DWA in his deployment zone.  And if he drives his chimeras out away from his deployment zone, he can't face front armor towards both your tactical squad and your terminators if he's stuck between the two...so again, DWA in his deployment zone.  Honestly, the more fliers and/or manticores he fields, the better things look for you, because the true objective here is to kill off his troops, and he'll quickly spend himself into a corner where all he can afford is two veteran squads and a company command squad...25 GEQs?  You can handle that.  If he instead flooded the field with cheap infantry (ten men with an autocannon and a grenade launcher is 65 points...times ten is 650, plus two platoon command squads and a company command squad, and he still has enough points to spare for a demolisher!), your situation would be hopeless!  He'd have more bodies than you have bullets, and more than enough shooting to grind your power armor AND tactical dreadnought armor to bits.

Ok manticore are scary but only ap4. So, even if he hits, rolls a 2 to wound you have a 2+ save. I always look at a manticore list especially when using deathwing, and find it amusing as I lose more terms to small arms fire in truth.

Ultimately a direct hit can cause 5 wounds which you may fail one of. Manticore a are scary against vehicles and light armoured troops.

Okay, I just played the game. He didn't bring manticores, instead he had 1 Vendetta (Lascannon bird) and two Leman Russ battle tank. Apparently he thought I was going to bring my Dark ELDAR with me.

Tabled him on turn 5, he only managed to kill 5-ish terminators, my predator and 4 tactical marines.

I've never heard a person say "cheese" so many times during one game before.

Okay, I just played the game. He didn't bring manticores, instead he had 1 Vendetta (Lascannon bird) and two Leman Russ battle tank. Apparently he thought I was going to bring my Dark ELDAR with me.

Tabled him on turn 5, he only managed to kill 5-ish terminators, my predator and 4 tactical marines.

I've never heard a person say "cheese" so many times during one game before.

Rich coming from him....

I dunno...russes are pretty mean against marines...against DE, I'd be more apt to field some griffons.  Same effect, for half the price, and lances against AV14?  ~shudder~

That largely depends on how the Russes are outfitted. For example, Eradicators mean nothing to marines other then just another ap4 large blase... but to a 5+ Eldar hoping to use cover if his transport is opened? It is dead.

Archived