Is the Darkshroud an Option for Deathwing?

Deathscream

Hello all, returning poster here. I took a long break from 40K to put my time into other things. Anyways, a new GW shop recently opened here and it has sparked a renewed interest in the game. I got the 6th edition rulebook and have read through it a few times now, same with the new codex. My last army was Space Wolves, and I know how conflicted this may sound, but as an absolute terminator freak I played the sorely inferior Wolf wing build. So seeing that a shiney new codex brought a new wave of great models and an excuse to finaly switch to the origiinal all terminator army, you can imagine my excitment! Now I am not the minimax type player, I'd rather get a lot of fluff out of my army built for all comers, than win every game. Also I am greatly attracted to units based solely on their apperance, so when I saw the Darkshroud model I was very excited. I love the baroque look to it and the stone guardian atop it is just beautiful!

So on to my inquiry... In a Deathwing army, what is the viability for running this unit? Let me explain my basic army idea first...

I will be dropping Belial with either a unit of DWK or a ten man squad of DWT with asscans in a pressured spot useing the DW assault. With two 5 man DWT squads (I want to call them packs, lol) to hold objectives and take CML shots at stuff, the forward pressure of a large termi squad AND the, as I understand it, some what dreaded DWK squad covers most roles. This is where I can see the Deathshroud coming in handy. It can either nail its DS off of Belial's homer to provide possible cover for a possibly expossed unit, OR, it can hover in some cover within the 12" of one, or both of the support squads, again providing cover and increasing survivability. So am I over thinking the need for the Deathshroud? Or is it a decent idea that could warrent some play testing?

Thanks

The cover the darkshroud provides isn't taht great compared to the TH&SS terminators you can add to absorb any AP1-2 weapons. It will be cheaper than a darkshroud and each squad can have it, instead of relying in an AV10 vehicle.

The cover the darkshroud provides isn't taht great compared to the TH&SS terminators you can add to absorb any AP1-2 weapons. It will be cheaper than a darkshroud and each squad can have it, instead of relying in an AV10 vehicle.

This. Since you're fearless, the best cover save you can hope for is 3+, and only behind bolstered ruins. Storm shields do this better and cheaper.

The main benefit of the Shroud is to buff cover saves and tactical Termies (never mind DWKs) are almost never going to be relying on cover saves so the synergy is hard to see. If your Termies are already in cover, they're getting 5+ or possibly 4+, at the cost of reduced charge effectiveness, and the Shroud will buff these to 4+/3+. If they're in the open, then the Shroud can only give them a better cover save than their invulnerable save by actually interposing itself between them and the enemy, which will grant the enemy precisely the same cover save. As Chaplain Lucifer has said, you're probably better off spending the points elsewhere to give you some additional 3++ saves...

For a Terminator army?

No, no, no, no, no, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! there is 0 synergy here. In addition, enemy AP3 anti tank weaponry will now have a viable target!

As well as plasma guns.

Its hard to make the darkshroud work for its intendent purpose as is (to provide cover for the ravenwing), due to its inherent fragility and cost.

Its a good idea but IMHO its implememted wrong by design.

All great points, and thank you for making them. Mostly my question arose due to my love of the model and the thought of protection came along with that. I had the points available for the list I had in mind, but have since changed that list around to include a maximum number of termiators.

The main benefit of the Shroud is to buff cover saves and tactical Termies (never mind DWKs) are almost never going to be relying on cover saves so the synergy is hard to see. If your Termies are already in cover, they're getting 5+ or possibly 4+, at the cost of reduced charge effectiveness, and the Shroud will buff these to 4+/3+. If they're in the open, then the Shroud can only give them a better cover save than their invulnerable save by actually interposing itself between them and the enemy, which will grant the enemy precisely the same cover save. As Chaplain Lucifer has said, you're probably better off spending the points elsewhere to give you some additional 3++ saves...

I agree with this. The dark shroud can be viable with dakka termies, but you have to hide it well or it will get shot down in the first turn. You can basically give several squads a 3+ cover while allowing them to maintain their firepower.

But it's a bit gimmicky and all value is lost once they leave cover. If you're interested and have the models, play a few times for fun. But it's not something I would ever run in a tournament.

Archived