A Legion Rising . . . Hopefully

Hello and welcome,

After several failed attempts to get an army painted, Marines and Dark Eldar, I am determined to get my chaos done. The main reason the other two armies failed was that I set the standard of painting too high so that units became a real chore to paint, especially when they are MSU. So I am going to take a different approach this time, the idea is for some cool conversions and to achieve a good standard of painting but can be enhanced later if needed.

So what am I painting? Well after a few recent changes to my army thanks to the Daemon Codex release I am going for 2000 points of Black Legion based Chaos Marines. The models list is as follows –

Chaos Marines

Chaos Lord - Bike, Mark of Nurgle, Sigil of Corruption, The Black Mace

10x Chaos Space Marines - CCW, 2x Plasma Guns, Champ – Pwr Weapon + Combi-Plasma

10x Chaos Space Marines - CCW, 2x Plasma Guns, Champ – Pwr Weapon + Combi-Plasma

2x Rhino

20x Chaos Cultists - 2x Flamers

6x Chaos Bikers - 2x Meltaguns, Mark of Nurgle, Champ- Pwr Weapon + Combi-Melta

Heldrake - Baleflamer

2x Obliterators - Mark of Nurgle

5x Havocs - 4x Missile Launcher

Aegis Defence Line - Gun emplacement with quad-gun

Daemon Allies

Bloodthirster

13x Bloodletters - Bloodreaper – Greater Daemonic Reward (Greater Ether Blade), Icon of Chaos – Blood Banner

As you can guess this project isn’t starting from the base line; I have been working on it, slowly, for a good 3 or 4 months. So where are we now? Let’s see a group shot shall me –

med_gallery_42908_8336_131206.jpg

Hopefully you can make out the two Chaos Marines units, the Chaos Bikes, the Rhinos and the Havocs. A good amount of progress but still a way to go, been trying to make them all so that this army can be used on the table without proxy. That may change as new army’s come out or I realize some short comings with my list.

What’s next? Well I think I am going to make the Bloodletters (a very nice birthday gift from my colleagues), the Cultists and the Chaos Lord. Here is a little teaser of the pieces I will be using for the Chaos lord –

med_gallery_42908_8336_129914.jpg

I really want to know what you think and any hints, tips or constructive criticism would be much appreciated. Also is you want any pictures of individual models let me know and of course I am happy to pass on any techniques . . . unless they are secret, then they are mine.

Thanks for reading,
Black Iron Ind.

• 1 month later...

@Disruptor_fe404 - I can't claim any great skills with the rhinos, they are kits that I got from a member on here (Subtle Discord), you can see his works in the following thread but do bear in mind he says that he is busy at the moment, absolutely awesome guy tho with mad skills :)

Sorry for the lack of update having some camera issues but I do now have an Aegis defence line, 20 Bloodletters and a Chaos spawn ready to spray and am just finishing off making 20 Cultists. I will try and get some pics up in the next few days.

Now a question for you all, does a Chaos Space Marine Lord need a backpack? Reason I am considering it is that I want to use the Warhammer Fantasy Manticore lord as a base for my Chaos lord and he has an awesome chain cloak but putting a backpack on would be some awkward modelling.

Black Iron Ind. 

Archived