Characters on Bikes - bike style and color?

Upstartes

When a Dark Angels independent character that is not part of the 2nd company (Chaplain, Librarian, Techmarine) goes to battle on a bike, does that bike have all the Ravenwing decorations on it (wings on the front, banner on the back, RW symobols, etc) or is it a more standard-looking space marine bike? Is it black like the Ravenwing or is it Green or is it colored in keeping with the character (blue for Librarians, red for techmarines, etc)?

I get the impression that people typically model them looking like Ravenwing bikers, but I'm wondering if that actually makes any sense. Does the Ravenwing keep all the chapter's bikes and provides them to characters as needed? Then it would make sense that the bikes have Ravenwing style and symbols. Do the techmarines keep a stable of bikes separate from the Ravenwing? In this case they would have a uniform style and color that might or might not resemble the Ravenwing, but the Ravenwing symbols would probably not be present. Or do the various HQ sections of the chapter maintain their own bikes, in which case Chaplains, Librarians, and Techmarines might each have distinctive bikes?

Is there anything official relating to this?

Well it's really up to you on colour. But I'd say no to RW stylee bike fairings etc as that would be confusing -- even if they do look good.

Personally I always like the bikes to match the characters' armour so;

Master - on green bike

Chaplain - on black bike

Librarian - on blue bike

Techmarine - on red bike

However - you could just paint them green with say, just front and rear mudguards painted in the colour of the character.

As Isiah says, it's up to you. I actually would paint the bike the colour of the company it comes from (so black for RW, green for others) and the armour the colour of that particular role (blue for libbies, white for medics, etc.). I might make an exception for a Chaplain though, so I'm not even consistent myself!!

Do the techmarines keep a stable of bikes separate from the Ravenwing?

Ha, nice choice of words. msn-wink.gif

My view on Librarians is that they would actually be seconded to the Ravenwing, so probably be given a RW bike - perhaps with nods to their office. Techmarines would also be seconded in my opinion and in the book Ravenwing, the techmarine that apperas in it is noted to be wearing the black of the RW (his armor, not the bikes). A standard Chaplain would actually be part of the RW (unless it changed, I thought every company had it's own Chaplain).

There is also a Libby and Chaplain in that book as part of Sammael's entourage though I don't recall them ever covering bike color.

I disagree with Isiah and don't think it would be confusing. To me I feel the bikes of the chapter belong to the RW. If someone from outside the RW is assigned to them, they take on RW bikes. In the end, I do not think there is an official standard nor do I think GW wants there to be.

Also, take this for what it's worth - There is no option for a master on a bike in the codex.

That was certainly the case back in 3rd edition (I think) then got FAQed in that edition so that standard reserve company bikers could be taken too. It's an interesting. Would have to double check the latest Codex to see if it says anything.

I disagree with Isiah and don't think it would be confusing. To me I feel the bikes of the chapter belong to the RW. If someone from outside the RW is assigned to them, they take on RW bikes. In the end, I do not think there is an official standard nor do I think GW wants there to be.

Confusing in that you or opponent might think it has RW bikes' rules msn-wink.gif

I seem to remember reading somewhere that all bikes and speeders belonged to the RW so I have done my Librarian on a black RW bike

You're right - it was in the 4th ed DA Codex and was used in order put an end non-RW bike and speeder options from the greenwing Reserve Companies, something that one could do with the 3rd ed DA Codex.

Confusing in that you or opponent might think it has RW bikes' rules msn-wink.gif

Ah, good point. Suppose that's more of a game mechanic. Is there any fluffy reason a character wouldn't, say, have a homing beacon or be just as scouty as the men he leads?

Ah, good point. Suppose that's more of a game mechanic. Is there any fluffy reason a character wouldn't, say, have a homing beacon or be just as scouty as the men he leads?

But with the way the USR's work now, an independent character on a Bike with a RW squad does get most if not all of the RW Rules....

Hammer of Wrath, Relentless, Jink, Scouts, Skilled Rider, Hit an Run... All are given to any IC that is on a bike and joins the RW squad. The only thing missing is a teleport homer.

All bikes black for me. Even if they were non-Ravenwing the bikes were never painted green.

My Techmarine on bike has been permanently assigned to the Ravenwing, he fixes their bikes and rides a customized bike. He has Ravenwing level clearance but not Deathwing since Techs are never inner circle. Black bike, Black armor with some red.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that all bikes and speeders belonged to the RW so I have done my Librarian on a black RW bike

I think too it is established that all bikes and now the air force as well (I also remember a heated debate over a fraters stormraven) are part of the ravenwing armory. Bikes logically would be handed over. It really would not make that much sense to have a seperate pool just for the staff. After all, the bikes are standard issue (so to speak) so why having different?

All bikes black for me. Even if they were non-Ravenwing the bikes were never painted green.

My Techmarine on bike has been permanently assigned to the Ravenwing, he fixes their bikes and rides a customized bike. He has Ravenwing level clearance but not Deathwing since Techs are never inner circle. Black bike, Black armor with some red.

I think thats the way tech marines are operating in the Ravenwing book no?

I havent read it.

I think too it is established that all bikes and now the air force as well (I also remember a heated debate over a fraters stormraven) are part of the ravenwing armory. Bikes logically would be handed over. It really would not make that much sense to have a seperate pool just for the staff. After all, the bikes are standard issue (so to speak) so why having different?

I don't know what you are talking about whistlingW.gif

It makes sense to me that any character (Libby or Chap.) who is attached to a RW unit is mounted on a RW bike.

I don't know what you are talking about whistlingW.gif

It makes sense to me that any character (Libby or Chap.) who is attached to a RW unit is mounted on a RW bike.

Oh I know very well, but I just dont feel self centered enough, like some other fraters (not present in this thread) to start rambling about it right now biggrin.png

Also bro Elmo, I dont think the case of this thread is a RW officer but of another company. What colour would be the bike of the 5th company company master for instance.

To which I say black with feathers still, because it would be assigned from the same bike pool, the RW armory.

At least thats what looks/sounds proper to me.

I think all bikes come from ravenwing armoury, so they are black. that is how I paint them. I just add something to make them otherwise standout: My Interrigator-chappys bike has the reliquary from RW commandsquad and I've used books and scrolls from Veterans sprue to customise my libby's bike.

Archived