Sanguinary Guard

Boomkapow

Hey all!

Just started Blood Angels. Been perusing the B&C forums and have seen very little on Sanguinary Guard. What is the common conception of these awesome looking models? If I want to play a fast, non mech, jump pack list, would they fulfill a role? Or do Assault Marines and DC fill that roll better? Thanks for the input...

Boomkapow

I find them pretty effective, my jump pack list uses 2 units of SG. 

IF you want to use Sanguinary Guard, you pretty much have to take Dante since if they aren't troops they really aren't worth it.

James is correct, IMO, that they aren't worth it as elites. Unfortunately, Dante is far over costed, and Sang Guard wouldn't be great as troops either. They are just so expensive, they don't hit very hard, and despite the 2+, they aren't tough enough.

If your not trying to build a really competitive list, I'd still prefer DC, but SG or DC would probably be fun. If you're trying to build a competitive army, I'd avoid having many (or any) jump packs at all.

Curious thread to appear, I've playtested SG in a few of my recent games.

First up, I've been enjoying them for my friendlier lists that are already Jumper-heavy but I wouldn't recommend them at all for straight-competitive play. For semi-comp pickup games they work just fine and are fun to use. The thing is they (like all expensive things) shouldn't be the tip of your spear. I've never ran more than 1 Unit, and they've been in the second line of troops behind a line of Assault Marines. Then I made a big deal explaining to my opponent that they all have 2+ saves and fearless and special guns and mastercraft weapons and blahblahblah. Basically making them juicy to my opponent because I make a big deal about them. Then they spend all their plasmaguns shooting at them, and ignoring the normal Assault Marines bearing down on them (optimal for 5+ Cover then FnP, rather than just FnP with no cover on the ASM).

One time they did ignore the SG and just shot the ASM. Then I just used the suriving ASM to Fix something in place before the SG came and cleaned up. I run 3 Sword-Glaives and 2 Axe-Glaives, and usually the Banner for the +1 Attack but no other gear than that.

A very large reason they are much more reliable in pickup games are because you can follow the terrain-setup rules (rather than preset terrain 'tournament style'). With the ability to choose and arrange the terrain to your benefit, Jumper Lists in general receive a giant boost to viability. Nothing like a few helpful pieces of solid-terrain to block fire lanes and advance to midboard (or beyond) completely unscathed...

They have worked well for me in 6th in the following combo. I run a JP- and axe- equipped priest with them; they, MM attack bikes and Mephiston press forward the assault with DC podding in to distract opponent.

I have plenty of other guys as troops.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy using sanguinary guard. I bring Dante and one squad of Sanguinary Guard. Dante's abilities mesh nicely with my play style. I don't consider the Sanguinary guard to be a hammer unit, but they are nice to bring to a fight against Grey hunters/Long Fangs/Tactical Marines/weakened Trygons/etc etc. Sometimes a 2+ armor save is just invaluable to have. Other times, I'll lose a chunk of them due to some poor dice rolling and my heart sinks a little bit because each model is 40 points...sad.png . Over all I enjoy them though; beautiful models, opponents often over estimate their ability, and they are troops with Dante which is so cool! devil.gif

- Brother Noah Tarquin

Played 2 games with them, once they did pretty well, killing a command squad and tactical squad with 2-3 casualties.

Next game they bought it from mass storm bolters from GK, but not after killing a chimera, coteaz and psyker squad.

I'd use them again. Mainly because they look awesome.

May try them with Dante soon.

Also some food for thought :

One thing that really stands out between a termy and a SG model is the Termies 5+ inv. Well this can be given to a SG model by using a Libby Dread with shield and wings. I know what your thinking, well that just seems like a point sink. Not really. With the new CSM and Daemon codexes there are some POWERFUL multi wound models out there, without EW. So the libby dread is a way to deal with those. Also a CSM daemon prince with no str bonuses can't hurt Armor 13 without doing a smash attack (and I'm sure the Daemon codex's daemon prince is the same way, I just havn't played them enough to know their stat line).

But yeah I love SG, run them all the time. Remember their role isn't to hunt big fat things, make them hunt MEQ. With a priest and the Shield Libby dread they are reallllyyy hard to deal with.

The nipples... I just can not sanction nipples upon my Night Angel's ceremite.  Nipples are unsophisticated and unsightly unless united by sweaty, bare flesh (preferably of the female kind).  The Sanguinary Guard are adorned in regal and classy ARMOR not the flesh of men.

Once I finish my SG, I'm gonna run them with a jumper horde.  Should be fun!

I think the nipples come from some roman and greek armour styles. Just file them off.

Do you think they are worth it in an allied detachment with SW? I love jump packs, and it was a tough call for which army to play when I started. My prayers where answered with 6th edition allies. I have a box of SG because they just look so bad ass.

Are death masks a point sink like they seem? They look awesome, but I dont know if they are worth it.

I honestly haven't tried them much, but maybe they're worth giving a try. I'd like them more if you weren't limited to just 5 a squad (it would make not having an invulnerable save and losing one or two less painful).

Just hang on for a couple years. They'll be cheaper and will remove the 5man limit in the next codex... msn-wink.gif At least judging from trends seen in other 6ed Codicies. If CSM Warp Talons are 30pts each, then I'd hazard a cost for SG around 35pts each in the new 'dex.... whenever it might come.

I honestly haven't tried them much, but maybe they're worth giving a try. I'd like them more if you weren't limited to just 5 a squad (it would make not having an invulnerable save and losing one or two less painful).

In the short term you could always ally with DA and use a jumppack libby with PFG.

Just hang on for a couple years. They'll be cheaper and will remove the 5man limit in the next codex... msn-wink.gif At least judging from trends seen in other 6ed Codicies. If CSM Warp Talons are 30pts each, then I'd hazard a cost for SG around 35pts each in the new 'dex.... whenever it might come.

I'd like to see them have a discounted Priest available as an upgrade, and that would make them a lot more viable in my opinion.

My dream situation would be that Dante wielded the Spear of Telesto and that Power Lances were an option for the Glaive Encarmine. Weapons that give charge bonuses in a unit with Hit & Run? Yes, please.

How well does a Sanguinary priest do for SG? I hate the nerf to Furious Charge, but an extra strength and fnp is always nice. I know aquamarine said he had success with them, anyone else have input?

I like to have a sanguinary priest with a squad near the Sanguinary Guard, but not usually attached to the Guard.  This is because the SG have no characters so I prefer my priest to be with a squad where someone else can soak a challenge.

Archived