Black Knights huntmaster loadout

BigGumbo

I'm building a squadron of Black Knights, to be fielded as a 5 man unit in the first instance due to points availability, and I'm wondering whether or not to give the Huntmaster a power weapon in place of the standard Hammer. The obvious benefit is to get AP values on all hits rather than only Rending hits; the downside being the loss of Rending and (depending on which PW I take) possibly losing the pip of Strength that the Hammers give.

I mostly play against Eldar, Tau and IG, so 3+ saves are not my biggest issue and striking at Initiative would generally be useful.

I'm leaning towards going for the PW, and taking a Maul rather than a Sword, but I'd like to know how others are running the BKs.

Against the armies you've mentioned, having AP3 would be less useful as their saves are usually poor. Being able to cause wounds on a 2+ with rending will generally be better, and will save you 15 pts. However, if you are going to go for a power weapon, then a power maul would be the obvious choice. I only use the corvus hammers, normally against marines, and find the amount of wounds they cause usually force at least one failed save.

I personally wouldn't screw with it. The hammers are already a really good weapon IMO. While they wouldn't have the AP3 the sword does, you have the chance to get it with AP2. It might not be as reliable, but I like my chances of getting it smile.png

Well, I have been saying this for a while and I am trully keen on repeating it biggrin.png

The power maul is the weapon of choice for me on the huntmaster due to its versatality and synergy with the rad and stasis grenades.

Given the fact that 90% of the games models are in the range of I 3-5, T3-5 and armor of 3-5 the maul makes perfect sense.

After a pestiside plash (rad/stasis nades) you stand a pretty hefty chance on the charge to kill a large number of enemies.Also the huntsmaster can effectively challenge H.Qs with realistic chances of instaclubbing them.

At best you instaclub at worst you have a weapon that can wound pretty easy.

but they are KNIGHTS!! D: 

Knights who come from a tradition of using small picks due to there being too many trees to use lances.

.... you can tell I've just finished reading the Corvus Hammer entry. :P

Archived