Bits and Conversions - RW

captain sox

Hi folks!

Just a quick question regarding Plasma Talon bits. Wil they fit on the regular (non RW Command) bikes? Or are we forced to buy the bikes in the kit? I plan to do 9-10 Black knights, or 2 squads of 5. 

Anyone try yet to put these on the reguar Space Marine bike?

Thanks!

I don't know the exact thread off the top of my head, but someone here shows exactly how you can convert existing models (namely the DV kit bikers) into black knights. Or at least they had a link to a website. I'd recommend doing a search for it, that's how I found it.

But to actually answer your question, there shouldn't be much issue, if any of using the plasma talons on non-ravenwing bike models. At best it may require a tiny bit of conversion.

I cut up plasma pistols as well as the bolters that came with the normal SM bikes and glued the two together to create a plasma talon. it's not perfect, and my first attempt was rough, but I'm reasonably satisfied. Subsequent efforts will probably improve. I'll see if I can post some picks tonight.

I have done the exact conversion you are asking about.  I dont have my models with me so if this rambling does not make sense ill post a pic of a finished model once i get home.

I used the Dark Vengeance bikers.  I cut the bolters off flush with the "winged" shield on the front but make sure you stop about half way down.  Another reason i suggest using the DV bikers is there is a line dividing the bolter from what the bolter is sitting on. That is where you sould stop.   If you have one of these biker look at the side of the bolter and you will see what im talking about. 

Then take some plasma pistols and cut the hand and the "peg" that is infront of the trigger.  Square the back end of the pistol and the area right after the trigger.  This makes the "butt" end of the pistol and the "trigger/grip" area squared. 

This will allow the back of the pistol rest against the winged shield and the trigger/grip portion to rest flush agains the brace that the bolter used to rest on.  This will require a little bit of plaining the plasma pistol and the bracing down to get a good match and prevent gaps.  Any small gaps can be fixed with super glue or green stuff.

The plasma pistols may seem small but actually once on the models they look pretty good.  And if your bits box looks like mine you have a ton of useless plasma pistols just needing to be used.

hmmmm added question: how do you get a chaplain on a bike?

this is easier.. you've got 3 ways of doing it:

1 - Find an old BT Chaplain on Bike model (easiest option)

2 - If you want one with a powerfist on a bike, grab the Chaplain with a power fist model and cut it at the waist, remove the non-powerfist arm. Take a spare set of biker legs and glue the body to it, green stuff the gap and glue on some pouches or grenades if your green stuff skills aren't great (whistlingW.gif ) and boom! done!

3 - Grab a set of Ravenwing Knight legs, a regular body, a sergeant's hooded head, a tomb king head skull without a helmet, arms and whatever wargear you want. Carefully cut the skull in half keeping the front half (skull face), do the same with a dremel tool to remove the sergeants face from the hood, insert one into the other so you have a skull in the hood and green stuff fill the eye sockets. Voila.. I'll see if I have any photos of this conversion somewhere..

Or, you can do what I'm gonna do and forgo the skull helmet - use a helmetless head. It's not as cool, but it's not without precedent. There are space marine chaplain models out there without helmets.

I plan to build mine up with bits in this fashion, the power maul from the DA vets sprues and the backpack with 2 forward-facing skulls on it, also from the DW vet sprues. RW bike bits provide robed legs & torso. Assorted other bits from DA & RW sprues provide extra blind as needed/wanted. Paint the armor black, and voila!

Imo a chaplain should always have the skull helmet.

Either that, or you're a traitor and should be purged.

The helmet represents the face of the Emperor, after all, forsake it, and you forsake Him.

Nice links Onisuzume!

I also had contemplated a chaplain with no helmet, but...  with a skull painted over his face, kind of like the joker from the dark knight, as in with freaky lookin facepaint!

There is a chaos champion head that works perfectly for a chaplain. I'll see if I can find it.

Actually, here it is: http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/5/14/221185_sm-Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Death%20Guard%2C%20Nurgle%2C%20Plaguemarine.jpg

I don't know where it came from. I got mine from a bitz competition at GW years ago and made a chaplain with it.

Bought a load of the Skull helms from Anvil Industry recently, like all their stuff they're excellent quality and the same scale as marines. 

What's quite cool with the unhooded versions is that they've got armoured ridges running down the back of the head, it really reinforces that's these are helmets/masks, rather than just a bare skull.

When I get chance I'll take some comparison pics (might be the weekend though)

Here are a couple of shots of my first attempt at homemade plasma talons. They still need some finishing (and probably some camouflage with bling-bits to not-so-good parts). However, this should give you an idea of what I'm thinking. Subsequent attempts should look better. You may notice that I left the bolter ammo feeds in place. I intend to paint those to look like plasma power cells as opposed to bolter ammo.

gallery_30852_8163_871335.jpg

gallery_30852_8163_266704.jpg

Archived