Why Dark Angels?

Depending on what version of the legend you're looking at, Excalibur could also be the sword in the stone, which was broken and then later mended by the Lady of the Lake (as presented in the film Excalibur).  One can't really claim an "original" version to the Arthurian legends, IMO, simply older ones, because that whole legend is simply a corruption and mixing of older Pagan legends (which were possibly a corruption and mixing of legends even older than that).  As such, I view the idea of "Lion Sword = adaption of Excalibur" to be fair game.

Am I the only one that found the excess of inspirational sources an in-character, visual way to hide the true face of the Chapter behind many "true faces"? :S

I didn't really think of this approach before - I like it!  (Vice trying to ignore/disregard years of conflicting fluff injects...)  =(

So which ones are the real warrior monks?

The Eldar say we're all warrior mon'keigh.

Excalibur could also be the sword in the stone

Ex Calce Liber, yes. Freed from the stone/lime.

Refers to the casting process.

Maybe from a non fluff view. If you like certain units of the SM toolbox most you can easily look for a codex that will put the focus on this unit type:

DA for terminator and the light fast vehicles from the SM list

BA for Assault marines, the fast tanks and the dreadnoughts

BT for powerarmor and landraider lovers

SM for the broadest selection of units and scouts

SW for heroes

maybe that helps at this decition.

Am I the only one that found the excess of inspirational sources an in-character, visual way to hide the true face of the Chapter behind many "true faces"? :S

GW has picked up on this very solution to the muddled influences in this edition of the Codex with the Apocryphal Tales idea.

The tale of Arthul holds true for the legion. However it all stops there. Our legion is not the knights on shining armor going to save the peasants from a marauding dragon and then give its hoard to the mayor for those poor orphans.

I.E. We are not Paladins. Perhaps belial has the rank but it is an afterthought.

We are far away from that image. We are going to charge the dragon, use whatever tactics we can to outmaneuver and outgun it. If its possible the peasants will be saved but, should the need arise we wont hesitate to let both the peasants and the village burn to the ground. One thing is certain:

Even if we save every last one of them, they are not going to have a festival and celebration. They are going to soil their pants and be glad we helped them but they will be even more glad we left.

That can seen on the sort story in our codex pg 13 The hammer of Angels.

Praise be to the emperor!

And I have no illusions as to what would have happened had they not repeated said quote.

• 2 years later...

Our Primarch is called the Lion. Where everyone else was a peacock, or a mythical monster of antiquity, our guy was named after an actual apex predator. Said Primarch lived up to his name by becoming the apex predator of a hellish death world, and his gene sons carry a measure of that calculated ferocity in their hearts. This overrides every other negative if you like big cats.

Agreed. The lion is my favorite animal. The way I stumbled onto 40k was through a Halo: Reach clan, where I was in the Dark Angels Chapter of the Imperium and have since become the Primarch, and my Xbox display name was shortened to Lion. It just worked out so well and I fell in love. Haha.

Although, this aside, I don't particularly like the being an anti-hero (although I love an anti-hero done right, which I think the Dark Angels are) or the bad guy/ bad cop, but I love taking the Angel angle of going for absolution of our sins and that sounds like a cool goal and something to truly fight and die for me. But maybe I am just rambling at this point....

The Dark Angels are the prototype Legion, and were focused on all aspects of warfare.  Other Legions were developed with particular specialties based on experiences and combat data gathered by the First.

They are quite cool, just saddled with a few books of unfortunate fluff.

Archived