Drop Pod disembark and Interceptor rule

DeMante

My friend and I are having a disagreement and I'm hoping you guys can clear it up.

If a drop pod lands next to a unit with Interceptor (Like the Tau commander with the Early Warning Override) can the unit with Interceptor fire at the disembarked marines or only at the drop pod?

My friend says that I could only fire at the drop pod, but from the way the rule is worded it looks like I should be able to shoot at any unit that arrived from reserves as long as its in range and within line of sight.  But I could just have clouded judgement about this, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

For what it's worth, back in 5th and its Daemonhunter ally Mystic shenanigans, an FAQ ruled that you could elect to shoot at either the vehicle or the unit, as both effectively 'arrived' that turn. I know it's an entirely different special rule, codex, and edition, but it reminds me of that situation and some people may or may not consider it fitting precedent. I may be getting that confused with the psuedo-Interceptor in Planetstrike. Ah, hell, I forget. In any case, I know the option to shoot at Drop Pod units the moment they arrive has existed in a GW publication in the recent past.

Going purely by the rulebook, I'd see why people could argue it either way, though I'm personally leaning towards yes, you may shoot at the Marines within the Drop Pod. However, that opens up a new can of worms: what about a transport flyer that arrives from reserve and then disembarks a unit? In fact, it needn't even be a flyer. It's an almost identical situation to the Drop Pod: a transport arrives from reserve, and the unit that was inside it is placed as well. Are they all candidates for Interceptor?

Frankly, I'm still leaning yes based on what I've seen, but it's definitely one of those rules wherein a single extra sentence, stating whether or not former transport occupants are valid targets, could have saved us a lot of headache.

My friend and I are having a disagreement and I'm hoping you guys can clear it up.

If a drop pod lands next to a unit with Interceptor (Like the Tau commander with the Early Warning Override) can the unit with Interceptor fire at the disembarked marines or only at the drop pod?

My friend says that I could only fire at the drop pod, but from the way the rule is worded it looks like I should be able to shoot at any unit that arrived from reserves as long as its in range and within line of sight.  But I could just have clouded judgement about this, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Both the Drop Pod and the Disembarking unit are arriving from Reserves, so each may be shot at.

• 7 months later...

More to the point for my experience, I've read recently that you can
choose to have some doors up, and some down on a drop pod upon landing
at your discretion.. does this mean I could disembark my squads behind
the pod with the doors blocking LOS to the interceptor weapon?

The disposition of the doors on a drop pod is actually a matter of some heated disagreement in some circles.  Best to discuss the matter with your opponents beforehand as there are pretty much no rules stating anything about how the doors interact with the rules in any way.  It isn't even clear if they are supposed to be considered part of the hull or not.  I personally prefer to keep my drop pods closed as when they are open they contribute heavily to battlefield clutter, but I generally also do not count the pod as LOS blocking, but merely cover because the doors should be down fluffwise if the pod has arrived. 

Either way, just talk with your opponent to get their opinion on the matter and roll off if an agreement cannot be reached.

You model the gun on the top, on the outside.

If the doors are part of the hull, you can disembark measuring your 6" move form the tips of them. You should also deep strike with *all* the doors down, as they would also impact any Deep Strike Mishaps.

But we have quite a few threads on this topic already. I don't think we need another. msn-wink.gif

They're on the ground tho' so they wouldn't block much?

Not if you've glued them shut...

Fluffwise, the doors or a drop pod open upon landing. Also, if the doors are closed, consequently the storm bolter inside cant shoot, as it won't have LOS to anything.

At tournaments it's usually ruled be the TO, but in friendly games we play the doors open in my area, and I feel fluffwise and gameplaywise that this is the better way ;) Building a drop pod wall in front of a gunline so they can't shoot anymore just seems wrong.

Thanks!

Both the Drop Pod and the Disembarking unit are arriving from Reserves, so each may be shot at.

This...

I concur

Archived