My Little Thread of Noob Questions

NuclearSnowyOwl

Hey guys, so I'm pretty new here.  I'm also new to 40k.  I have had the BGB for about a month now and I just picked up the DA codex a few days ago.  I think I'm going to have tons of rules questions so I'm gonna start posting them all here.

So my first question is:

Librarians.  They have the Psyker special rule and they "generate their powers from the Divination, Pyromancy, Telepathy, and Telekineses desciplines."  What in the world does that mean?  Shouldn't there be a list or chart somewhere that tells me what those are?  Hopefully I am not extremely blind, but I've been through the codex multiple times and can find no explanation of what that means.  I have also read and re-read the Psyker rules in the BGB.  I see nowhere that tells me what kind of special Psychic abilities a Librarian can actually do.  If I'm just a massive blind idiot, please tell me where I can find the rules for this.  Thanks :)

All of those Psychic Disciplines can be found in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook (Edit - starting on p. 418 as Landdavi posted below). They're not listed in the Codex.

Edit - They're also available as a deck of quick reference cards from GW listed as the Warhammer 40,000: Psychic Powers here or from your local GWS or LGS.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another noob question: Do Terminator Power Fists count as a Power Maul?

Powerfists are their own category. they have unweildy (which means they strike at initiative 1 in cc) and they double the strength of the user in cc with aP2.

Power mauls are strength plus 2 and ap4, but strike at the users initiative.

oh and way to be helpful maddoc, glad to see you doing your part.

The OP owns (or has access to a copy of) the rulebook, the rules for power fists and other weapons are listed in the rulebook.

They're not that difficult to find either, they're on p 60 the first page of the Melee Weapons of the 41st Millennium section.

You'll have to excuse me for not wanting to spoonfeed the OP.

Also, as discussed earlier here, Terminator sergeants can only have power swords, and this is explicit, so you can't arm them with anything that isn't typed out in the codex (so no mauls, no axes, no spears, etc).

Don't worry about being new, we've all been there. 6th edition has more stuff tacked onto the main rules than ever before, so it's going to be harder for you to jump in than it was in 4th or 5th edition. Nevertheless, if you keep trying, you'll persevere. 

The OP owns (or has access to a copy of) the rulebook, the rules for power fists and other weapons are listed in the rulebook.

They're not that difficult to find either, they're on p 60 the first page of the Melee Weapons of the 41st Millennium section.

Remember that there are 2 versions of the rules. Always verify which book you're using with the page number. Otherwise, they could be looking for an irrelevant page and become even more confused.

Remember that there are 2 versions of the rules. Always verify which book you're using with the page number. Otherwise, they could be looking for an irrelevant page and become even more confused.

Given that the page numbers for what I was referencing are identical in both versions of the rulebook (big hardcover rulebook and the Dark Vengenace mini-rulebook) I don't really see that being a problem.

I'm all for helping new blood into the mysteries of the 40K Rulebook /Codexes - but in some cases answers to questions can be found by careful reading of all the references contained therein.

The index (at the back) provides an excellent place to start with all queries - as admittedly some items are spread across multiple sections and are not easy to nail down not being in one place. And no this isn't the place to talk about the merits of the Rulebook's design / writing whistlingW.gif .

My advice is to buy the paperback Rulebook from the DV starter set (usually available from a well know auction site), and carry it around everywhere you go to familiarise yourself with the game mechanics and how/where everything is. Then, you can drill down into individual items (like powerfists) etc etc smile.png .

Also, as discussed earlier here, Terminator sergeants can only have power swords, and this is explicit, so you can't arm them with anything that isn't typed out in the codex (so no mauls, no axes, no spears, etc).

Don't worry about being new, we've all been there. 6th edition has more stuff tacked onto the main rules than ever before, so it's going to be harder for you to jump in than it was in 4th or 5th edition. Nevertheless, if you keep trying, you'll persevere. 

They're not that difficult to find either, they're on p 60 the first page of the Melee Weapons of the 41st Millennium section.

But they can take a TH/SS or TLC's pg 99 CDA V5

Thanks for everyone's help so far.  For everyone's information, I have the newest version of the BGB and the DA codex.  And no, I don't need to be spoonfed.  Sometimes though, after reading hundreds of pages and imagining games in my mind, something doesn't make sense so I feel it is ok to ask.  I will be getting my first game (with experienced gamers) coming up in about 10 days or so.  I think things will all become much more clear at that point.  

Here are my latest noob questions:

The Nephilim Jetfighter has the Missile Lock special rule which states that missiles scatter d6 instead of 2d6.  But Blacksword Missiles don't use a blast template....which I interpret to mean that they don't scatter at all.  So...why the Missile Lock rule?  If Blacksword Missiles DO scatter, than what is the factor that determines whether or not something scatters?

Also, as a Flyer, the NJ can Evade to get the Jink special rule.  But the BGB states that this would then cause the Flyer to fire only Snap Shots.  But since the Jink special rule is only applicable to a model that has moved "in its movement phase," I'm not sure I understand the significance of only being able to fire Snap Shots unless that rule (about only shooting Snap Shots) would apply to my following turn and not just my present turn.  Is there a situation in which I could come under fire during my own turn that would cause me to want to Evade and therefor be reduced to Snap Shots during my Shooting Phase?

Bleh, I hope all that made sense :)

As to the Snap Shots heres what happens. Someone fires at your flyer, you choose to evade. So you get a jink save for the remainder of your opponents shooting phase. Then during your turn your flyer can only fire snap shots. 

Hope this helps.

Also, as a Flyer, the NJ can Evade to get the Jink special rule. But the BGB states that this would then cause the Flyer to fire only Snap Shots. But since the Jink special rule is only applicable to a model that has moved "in its movement phase," I'm not sure I understand the significance of only being able to fire Snap Shots unless that rule (about only shooting Snap Shots) would apply to my following turn and not just my present turn. Is there a situation in which I could come under fire during my own turn that would cause me to want to Evade and therefor be reduced to Snap Shots during my Shooting Phase?

Bleh, I hope all that made sense smile.png

I'm pretty sure that the section on Flyers covers this explicitly - i.e. that you can choose to evade in the enemy's shooting phase which grants you a Jink save against their shooting but at the cost of only being able to fire snap shots in your following shooting phase (nothing comes for free). The Jink special rule only applies to models which moved in their previous movement phase, but only Zooming flyers can evade and Zooming flyers which are still flying must by definition have moved in their previous movement phase as Zooming flyers which don't move in their movement phase crash automatically.

As regards coming under fire in your own turn: this could happen if, say, you entered play from reserves that turn and were shot at by a unit with the Interceptor rule.

Also, as a Flyer, the NJ can Evade to get the Jink special rule. But the BGB states that this would then cause the Flyer to fire only Snap Shots. But since the Jink special rule is only applicable to a model that has moved "in its movement phase," I'm not sure I understand the significance of only being able to fire Snap Shots unless that rule (about only shooting Snap Shots) would apply to my following turn and not just my present turn. Is there a situation in which I could come under fire during my own turn that would cause me to want to Evade and therefor be reduced to Snap Shots during my Shooting Phase?

Bleh, I hope all that made sense smile.png

I'm pretty sure that the section on Flyers covers this explicitly - i.e. that you can choose to evade in the enemy's shooting phase which grants you a Jink save against their shooting but at the cost of only being able to fire snap shots in your following shooting phase (nothing comes for free).

The problem is that the BGB is anything but explicit. It specifies that the Flyer can choose to Evade and gain the Jink special rule after the opponent has rolled to hit but before rolling for armor penetration. The only thing it says after that is "An evading Flyer has the Jink special rule, but only fires Snap Shots." So since you wouldn't be firing shots on your opponent's turn while you are evading, it didn't make much sense. It doesn't specifically state that the Snap Shots limitation is applied to the following shooting phase. It also doesn't state the it applies to only the following shooting phase and not multiple future shooting phases. It gives no indication whatsoever of how to apply that rule (that I'm aware of). From the way it is stated, it could be argued that once a Flyer has chosen to evade, it can only fire Snap Shots for the remainder of the game.

Now of course that seems ridiculous to me. BUT, it also seems equally ridiculous that an aircraft should be restricted to Snap Shots if gets shot at, chooses to use evasive maneuvers (limiting it's ability to fire), but then before it actually attempts to fire, it comes out of evasive maneuvers and is able to move normally and take proper aim before shooting. That is essentially what is happening, right? You shoot at me, then I evade and use Jink to get a cover save, then when my turn starts I make a regular move at Combat or Cruising Speed, then I shoot. If I just made a regular move at Combat or Cruising Speed, why am I suffering a penalty to my ability to shoot accurately at you? The evading and jinking is ancient history by then. It would be like saying if ground troops moved in the previous movement phase they could only fire snap shots on the following turn, even if the didn't move during the present turn. That would be absurd.

Now, I recognize that I'm a noob, and that not everything in this game is realistic. However, without the BGB specifically stating how to apply the "only fires Snap Shots" restriction, I don't see how anyone can just assume it means that it applies for the successive turn and only the successive turn....unless there is something I am missing here :)

Is there ever a scenario in which my Nephilim Jetfighter would evade/jink and then, during my opponent's turn, I would have an opportunity to shoot at him? Because if that were ever possible, I can see how I should suffer a penalty to my ballistic skill.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the rules in a logical way. Makes it easier to remember them.

I see your point  Owl but as Gumbo said, nothing comes without a price.  Flyers are already allowed to move and shoot 4 weapons,   Maybe a jink move scrambles the tracking computers.  And your analogy is a bit off.  If Guardsmen had Gone To Ground in the enemy's shooting phase they would likewise be restricted to Snapshots, The flyer being a flyer cannot stand still so must move.  The Guardsmen cannot...  Jink is Go to Ground for flyers

@BigGumbo.The nifty contradiction comes when the Dark Talon does a Hover Strike...   It's still a flyer but counts as a skimmer and cannot move other than rotate.  No jink allowed the way I read it... 

Turns out you're right, it doesn't specifically mention that it only last for the subsequent shooting phase. But I think its safe to assume thats what they meant. I'm actually surprised that isn't in the FAQ honestly lol

Well, that comment by Brother Dean makes sense.  Going to Ground would certainly seem to be analogous to evading.  in the Going to Ground rule it does specifically state that the unit is reduced to shooting Snap Shots only, and that the unit returns to normal at the end of it's following turn.

So I agree elphilo, I think it's safe to assume that evade works the same way.  GW needs to get this FAQ'd.  

Archived