My Little Thread of Noob Questions

NuclearSnowyOwl

Shroudy speeder for the win...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/The%20Ravenwing/SupaSpeeda.jpg

(fine, the shroudy bits are still being painted...)

Helldrake is one excellent option in a (overall) sub par list, there are ways to take away it's effectiveness.  Not bunching would be the first option.  Remembering that doesnt show untill the 2nd turn at the earliest and being where you can un- bunch in the 2nd turn.

Pathfinders die easy

Can we discuss some greenwing strategy?  Very little comes up in a search for "greenwing army list."  And nothing comes up in a search for "greenwing strategy."  What is the general idea?  Is it better to use Rhinos to advance or Drop Pods?  Or maybe even a Land Raider...??

I'm working on a coming up with a 2K list I like so that I can start expanding my army.  Doesn't necessarily need to be all greenwing.

And regarding the BoD, am I correct in thinking that it only affects Bolt Guns, aka regular Bolters?  So this would include Hurricane Bolters but not Storm Bolters or Heavy Bolters...??

Can we discuss some greenwing strategy?  Very little comes up in a search for "greenwing army list."  And nothing comes up in a search for "greenwing strategy."  What is the general idea?  Is it better to use Rhinos to advance or Drop Pods?  Or maybe even a Land Raider...??

I'm working on a coming up with a 2K list I like so that I can start expanding my army.  Doesn't necessarily need to be all greenwing.

And regarding the BoD, am I correct in thinking that it only affects Bolt Guns, aka regular Bolters?  So this would include Hurricane Bolters but not Storm Bolters or Heavy Bolters...??

Again,  depends on your playstyle.  My Wolfbrother uses rhinos as moving cover for his thunderwolves and squads.  I cannot make the tactic work to save my life...  I prefer a Land Raider Crusader to cart my Company vets around in.  It isnt the most popular choice among the netlist crowd but I liked it and it worked for me...   I of course havent played Greenwing since 6th came out but I did take out a termie squad with them in 5th.  That wont happen again now....

Yes, The SoD only effects Boltrifles and Hurricaines

What's the general idea with Greenwing though?  It's obvious if you play Deathwing, the goal is to beat face.  Ravenwing, be fast, lots of hit and run, etc.  But what about Greenwing?  Do need lots of Heavy Support and Heavy Weapon options to do damage?  Because marines don't seem particularly great in battle.  

I'm wondering what good it does to get marines up in the opponents face.  Rhinos, Razorbacks, and Drop Pods: they can all get the troops there.  But what's the point of getting there?  How much are they really going to do?  

The goal with any army is to win. There is no overall strategy that will apply equally to any game situation independent of the mission's victory conditions and your opponent. Which is what you seem to be asking for.

That said, a SoD gun line list is not exactly optimised to be mobile so you'll probably want to have some heavy weapons outside your core Tac squads to deal with anything that Bolters can't touch.

My advice: build a list that looks fun to you, play some games with it, analyse weak points, tweak list; rinse and repeat ;-)

Yes, obviously the goal is to win.  I'm not a noob at life.  

I was just trying to ask about strategic themes that are successful with greenwing.  

I am posting an army list though so I invite people to comment on that.  Thanks. 

• 3 months later...

I'm still working on my 2k list.  So far I have 1k points that are as follows: two drop pods with tac squads; a librarian; an aegis with quad gun; a 5-man tac squad w/ missile launcher to man the Aegis; a squad of 5 terms; a whirlwind; a predator with autocannon and side lascannons.  All painted!  Woot!

So I'm struggling with fleshing out the rest of the list.  I'm participating in an escalation league and I need to get it figured out quick.  I have already purchased a DT/Nephilim kit and I have been planning all along to use it as a Nephilim for Anti-air and anti-tank.  But I also have planned on using a Command Squad with Standard of Devastation in Drop Pod to accompany my first two squads.  

My noob question is this: If I take a Dark Talon and hover it near the SoD, do the hurricane bolters benefit from the SoD?  The only thing I can find in the rules to clarify the situation is on pg. 80 where it says distances are measured from the flyer's hull.  So if my DT's hull is physically 6" from the Command Squad, would the SoD affect the DT?  

Thanks!

Yes, it would be affected by the Standard of Devastation.

Probably really late now... but the point of Greenwing in my experience is to be some pseudo Tau where your gunline becomes this firing squad while either slowly advancing or remaining stationary.

I've yet to be shifted from an objective that was held by a full Tactical Squad backed by a Banner of Devastation Command Squad (with three Storm Shields). It's expensive and not fun for your opponent at all so if sportsmanship is a key factor for you, maybe you should avoid it. (You'd think they'd use Blast weapons or longer ranged guns but nope... Budging those guys out of the way takes too long!)

The biggest advantage I can see from using a Greenwing Army on the (real life) budget is the Company Veterans. Give them Flamers and a Drop Pod, Deepstrike as soon as you can and cause some serious pain to key Enemy Infantry. You're fairly protected as well since anyone wanting to shoot you will need to get past the Drop Pod first, anyone wanting to Assault you will eat three Overwatched Flamers and anyone wishing to use Blast weapons on you risk scattering into their own units (since you're so close already).

One minor note is the Assault Squad: no one sees them coming and using them as a surprise or a suicide squad (Hammer of Wrath then 3 attacks each on the charge (unless you gave them Flamers in which it'd just be 2) with Frag/Krak Grenades leading in makes them an ideal shock troop to lunge into and tie up Heavy Infantry. I've downed or tied up many enemy Terminators this way letting my other units get into range of other units or hold objectives.

Greenwing for me is generally a fun army to use but damn are we squishy!!

I use mixed wing, i feel that is the way that the codex was designed. A terminator squad ot two. A bike squad or who armed with melta and then tacs and devistator marines backed up by our amazing librarians.

Archived