Scout Bikes, Land Speeder Storm, or Neither?

HarvDent

So having been playing for a while I've noticed my army stays pretty much the same.  Librarian, two squads of Tacts, one squad of Scouts with Telion, Vindi, Sternguard, etc... and I'm looking for variety, not only to keep people on their toes but also to keep it fun for me.  I was looking at the Codex at Scout Bikes and the Land Speeder Storm and they both seem interesting to me.  I like scouts for the most part and I like the Grenade Launcher on the bikes and I like the thought of 10 shotgun blasts out of the speeder.

The problem I'm having is, of course, the BS3 on Scouts and the 10 armor on the Speeder.  That's just asking to get blown out of the sky.  Are they worth it?

And if anyone has any suggestions for ways to spice up my army (I can even post an army list in the correct forum for an example if that would help) other than these two things, let me know!

Of the two, the Scout Bikes are, I think, a tougher option.  They've got grenade launchers and twinlinked bolters (that help to mitigate the BS3), T5, easy access to a 5+ cover save to supplement the 4+ armor, and they can take locator beacons for accurate deep striking regardless of being a teleport or drop movement.

I agree with that, the LSS is fun and can enable your Scouts to perform some nifty tricks but tends to be a one way delivery service. Scout Bikers are underrated I think and can fill several roles. Best solution is of course to use both :P

From my experiences the bikers can roam independently without a problem but the LSS Scouts really need to be part of an army that is generally pressing on the enemy for backup.

im waiting for the new dex, i suspect LSS may become dedicated. If this happens, they will be an awesome addition.

As it is they have been greatly nerfed since 5th, and even in 5th they required alot of finesses to work well.

As for scout bikes, i love the nade launchers and TL bolters at T5, my only worry about them is thier armour save, since most enemies have lots of AP4

if you want a new toy to spice up your lists, why not try a thunderfire cannon?

They're both crap units. Storms might be alright if they ever become dedicated transports, but otherwise avoid them.

IMHO you're much better off getting shiny new stuff like stormtalons, stormravens,bikers, allied contingments (guard or tau), etc.

They've got grenade launchers and twinlinked bolters (that help to mitigate the BS3)

I think the grenade launcher take the place of the bolters (at least on the model).

I like the thought of 10 shotgun blasts out of the speeder

For the same price, and for staying in the Land Speeder, you'd be better off with 10 bolter blasts. ^^

Hope it was helpfull!

If you ally DA & SM, do the DA gimmicks like Dark Shroud and Banner of Devastation interact with the C:SM Scout options?

Do the Scout Bikes and/or LSS get better protection? Could the damage output be enhanced?

The OP tends to include a Librarian by default. If that is the DA HQ (cheap, can get Prescience), does it allow selection of a C:SM HQ that buff the C:SM units?

Thinking Khan on a bike, or maybe just a 2+/3++ tanking captain on a bike to ride with scouts.

I would have to agree with Giga's appraisal of both units. This is coming from a player that owns two LSS's and loved using them in 5th. Nothing better than alpha striking across the board with a combi-melta and MM loaded up and lighting your opponent up before he has even moved!

Sadly LSS aren't even marginal in 6th. Scout bikers are meh....you can get more for the points.

Given your standard units you run you may try adding some other units in combination.

Thunderfire Cannon - Great unit for any list that already runs scouts

Storm Raven - might be a good combination to run with your sternguard

Storm Talon's - fun interesting unit

Whirlwinds - 6th is a foot slogger's paradise and the Whirlwind is a great anti infantry unit that didn't get a whole lot of love back in 5th. Also known as death incarnate for non MEQ

Techmarines - especially on a bike this can be a fun option

Ironclad Dreads - While most dreads took a huge hit in 6th the Ironclad is still one of the only two viable dreads for all space marine armies cause of the 13 armor. It can tar pit infantry squads especially if you can get rid of those pesky melta bombs.

Allies are an option as well but personally allies are getting annoying. Yes it's one thing to have some allies but its another thing to have the new meta of 6th be "just add IG, bake till tender and serve!". Necrons bro fisting with Grey Knights and the reunification of the Eldar civilization. So while you may want to look at allies on a personal level I will never recommend them.

Essentially as has been said, both the Scout Bikers and LS Storm were better in 5th Ed.

The standard tactics in 5th with the LS Storm were to either:

- put a Fist on the Scout Sergeant then scout move 18" (flat out), move 12", Squad disembarks then charges most valuable tank the enemy had - 3A at S8 hitting rear armour automatically often killed the target.

- take a combi-melta and melta-bombs on the Scout Sergeant and a Multi-melta on the Storm, particularly when combined with Vulkan for twin-linked shenanigans, then repeat the above tactics, just replace "charge" with "shoot".

In 6th, both of these take a knock as if you scout, you can't charge and if you move 12" you can't disembark and can only shoot snap-fire from inside the transport, Plus you can't flat out move when scouting anymore either. This dropped the effective range from 38" (18+12+2+6) including charging/half range melta, to 24" (12+6+6) with no charge allowed. Plus, you can't scout to within 12" of an enemy unit - so screening units will spoil your plans too.

The bikes have similar issues. Although one player I know uses a unit armed with lots of grenade launchers to outflank behind enemy transports, where they still do some damage (but not a lot).

Regardless, they always end up as a sort of suicide squad. Now if you get 1st turn, they may net you 1st blood, but going second - they're largely pointless.

Add in the fact that a standard Speeder can mount twice the number of weapons, and still end up cheaper than the Storm (+Scouts) or Scout Bikers and they do look less of a good option than they used to, given that their greatest advantages have been hit with the 6th ed nerf-bat.

Finally, if you're looking to claim 1st blood, drop pods are your friends, especially if they drop a scoring unit in the enemy deployment zone (potential for line-breaker or capturing an objective as well as 1st blood). (Crimson Fist Sternguard do this rather well, if you are willing to stump up the points for their Chapter Master.)

If all you wan't is to add some unique flavour to your force, then just pick whatever seems fun and give it a go. I'm currently growing a SW force with this motivation (I'm currently painting a SW Dreadknight and I'm remodelling a LS Storm as well - for seperate allied forces of course, but modelled as SW primarily because I like the base models)

• 2 months later...

Thinking outside of the box a bit, one idea I have been noodling is to use the LSS as a flexible counter charge or area denial unit. If my opponent has deep strike capabilities, say Sternguard drop pod units, I can use the Storm's Jamming Beacon and careful positioning to help bubble wrap key units or baring that, counter charge them and tie them up in assault to preserve more valuable targets. If my opponent doesn't have deepstrike options, then I can look to use it more offensively by reserving it and deploying it via Outflank or even potentially Deep Strike.

I like scout bikers in combination with drop pods, or just as a general disruption unit. The clustermines are worth it too, 10 pts gets you on average a lost hullpoint or dead MEQ, Might influence your opponents deployment as well.

inexpensive infiltrating bike with a melta bomb, yes please.  

Archived