Is a dreadnought a character?

CheeseWhiz

So I know a character is any leader of a squad such as a space marine sergeant, but I couldn't find any distinction regarding dreadnoughts. My initial reaction was no because there's nothing to separate one dreadnought from another in it's stat box in the codex but then I thought that such an ancient and powerful warrior, particularly one worth upwards of 165 points would qualify. Can I get a ruling on this one?

Not always. Check the reference section in the BRB, where it says what everything is, as well as the army's FAQ if it's not mentioned. For instance, a Librarian Dreadnought is not a character, and neither is a regular Dreadnought, but Bjorn is a character because the FAQ says so.

While I think that fluffwise all Dreadnoughts should be characters, they (unfortunately) are not.  The only exception to this (that I know of) Is Bjorn the Fel Handed.  If they were, it might make taking them a little more entertaining (between LoS, Precision Strikes and Shots, and Challenges).  I think the upgraded Dreadnoughts (Venerable, Furioso, etc) at a minimum should be on equal footing in this regards with Hive Tyrants, Big Meks, Wraithlords, Daemon Princes, and Dreadknights.

• 2 weeks later...

While I think that fluffwise all Dreadnoughts should be characters, they (unfortunately) are not.  The only exception to this (that I know of) Is Bjorn the Fel Handed.  If they were, it might make taking them a little more entertaining (between LoS, Precision Strikes and Shots, and Challenges).  I think the upgraded Dreadnoughts (Venerable, Furioso, etc) at a minimum should be on equal footing in this regards with Hive Tyrants, Big Meks, Wraithlords, Daemon Princes, and Dreadknights.

I completely agree with this. They should be able to challenge and do precision shots. I mean, these guys have fought for thousands of years, and can't even do precision shots! :(

Archived