Share your biker tips/tricks

Roma

Posted this in index, didnt get much response. Time to ask the real bikers.

Im looking to start a biker army. Anyone have any tips or tricks they would like to share?

An example:Take Vulcan He'Stan for twin-linked special weapons and attack bikes.

Im sure there is loads of potential through allies and so on, but I have never played a game of 6th so I need your wisdom!

p.s I havent read the new Dark Angels codex, who does bikers better, them or vanilla marines, and why?

Currently we are, check back in July after C:SM gets re-done.

The DarkShroud speeder, tho an UGLY critter is kinda awesome.  Moving flat out it has a 2+ cover save and grants units in bubble a 3+.  Crusing speed is 3+ and 4+ respectively.  We have Hit and Run and Plasma bikes, Bikes as scoring units.   There are several topics around, read up on them :)

Sooo your bikes are cheaper for small squads, as a marine squad of 3 costs 90p and each new one is 25.

While yours are just 27 each.

Your bikes have hit and run, which is like a better combat tactics.

You have more options in the general codex through the ravenwing.

Are your special weapons quantity/price per squad the same as vanilla marines, aka 2 per squad?

Are attack bikes costed the same fo you?

Special weapons are the same as vanilla.

I'm not sure about the relative costing of attack bikes but it's important to note that attack bikes are only available as add-ons to Ravenwing Attack Squadrons - we can't buy attack bikes separately. A full Ravenwing Attack Squadron comprises: three to six bikers (squadrons of six can be combat-squadded into two units of three), one attack bike and one landspeeder. The AB and speeder are optional and, once purchased, are treated as separate units for all game purposes apart from FOC considerations. You only get access to the Speeder if you've got six bikes but you can add an AB to a unit of three bikes.

Other things to keep in mind:

* The SM bike squad comes with a veteran sergeant automatically, while the RW has to upgrade its basic sergeant if it wants a vet sarge. This is part of the cost difference between SM bike squads and RW bike squads.

* RW bikes have built-in teleport homers.

* RW bikes have the Scouts special rule.

* There are Dark Angels elite bikers called Black Knights that have short-range plasma guns on their bikes instead of bolters. They also have the Skilled Rider special rule, special melee weapons, and are generally pretty bad-ass in hand-to-hand.

* Dark Angels can take a Ravenwing command squad that can include a variety of cool banners - including one that turns bolters into salvo 2/4 weapons (awesome with bikes) and one that grants Feel No Pain to nearby units.

* The Master of the Ravenwing special character rides an awesome jetbike!

On the other hand, some things SM has that we don't:

* Scout bikes. We just don't get these.

* Attack bike squads. We cannot buy separate attack bike squads, and when we do get attack bikes, they always act as one-model squads.

Lastly, rumor has it that there will be a new space marine codex out later this year. Some things will likely be adjusted to become more in line with some of the stuff in Dark Angels. Most notably, I bet SM returns to optional vet sergeants like DAs have now, and any cost difference between SM and DA special weapons will probably disappear. However, most of the other stuff I mention above as being RW-specific will likely remain the province of DAs only.

Yes, he can join units of bikers (an improvement since last codex). He's got some other nice wargear too. Adamantine mantle (immune to instant death) and the Raven Sword (AP2 at normal inititive). The jetbike has twin-linked storm bolters and a plasma cannon.

And as far as tips/tricks go, scoring bikes that can combat squad into 3 man teams is really nice as that means even a single biker left in a squad is a scoring unit as 33% is above the 25% minimum to claim objectives, which means if an opponent wants to prevent you from using that one bike to grab an objective late in the game he will have to dump an entire units worth of shooting on it (and even then with a 3+/5+ cover) you have a decent chance of surviving. Add into that scoring attack bikes that can outflank and our base biker squads are more than decent.

Black knights are basically super awesome. At everything, and our special grenades are amazing.

As The master of the ravenwing, sammael has access to two amazing things, his jet bike bs 5 plasma cannon and tl storm bolter, or my personal favourite, sableclaw. This land speeder is pretty dope. Still bs 5 with twin linked heavy bolter and twin linked ass cannon. Both can be fired each turn, oh and did I mention how its av 14 front and sides? Keep him from being assaulted and watch all but the hardest hiting weapon platforms have less than a 50% chance of glancing him. Do keep in mind it's still a speeder, av 10 rear, 2hp but with 24" range and a 12" movement you should be able to keep enemies out of your back arc.

Couple these bikes with some members of our first company and you have no scatter terminators dropping right where you need them.

Tl;dr

Dark Angels rule, white scars drool

Right, I forgot to mention that two of the DW HQs turn basic Ravenwing bike units into troops choices - Sammael (Master of the Ravenwing) and Azrael (Chapter Master). You can do this in codex SM as well if you put a captain on a bike. With DA, however, that separately-operating attack bike attached to the RW squad also becomes a scoring unit. On the other hand, you can actually have a bigger single squad of SM bikes as a troop choice than you can with DA. The max bikes in a Ravenwing bike squad is 6 + 1 attack bike. For SM, I think you can have 8 + attack bike.

Im looking to start a biker army. Anyone have any tips or tricks they would like to share?

An example:Take Vulcan He'Stan for twin-linked special weapons and attack bikes.

Im sure there is loads of potential through allies and so on, but I have never played a game of 6th so I need your wisdom!

p.s I havent read the new Dark Angels codex, who does bikers better, them or vanilla marines, and why?

I'm twitching with barely suppressed righteous fervour as I type this; go Dark Angels!

If you're not using Ravenwing, then you'll be fighting against us. Trust me when I say, you do not want to be fighting against us. That's the best pro/con list I can come up with whistlingW.gif

I'm twitching with barely suppressed righteous fervour as I type this; go Dark Angels!

If you're not using Ravenwing, then you'll be fighting against us. Trust me when I say, you do not want to be fighting against us. That's the best pro/con list I can come up with whistlingW.gif

Despite your broad expertise in hunting and torture, I somehow find the prospect of Helbrecht finding out you jacked a black templar cruiser, and me being on your side, far more frightening.

The best advise i can offer on Raven Wing is make sure you do not play them like they are tactical squads.  This may sound stupidly simple but still important.

What i mean by this is with tactical squads you normally split them up and have them hold objectives.  In my experience if you split up your forces with Raven Wing you will get owned....and embarrassed.  Keep all your bike units together and form a phalanx or spear head.  Pick a target and focus on it.  Go straight towards it.  Use your other units to soften up units that are near or threatening your bike units.  Make sure you wipe out the target unit with your rapid fire bolters then move to the next unit.  You have to be very focused on target selection.   I find a good way to do this is to send all my bikes up one table edge or the other.  Hit the unit that is closest to the table corner and work your way across.  This will strech your opponents weapon range and usually will provide cover from heavy weapons.  Near the end of the game have your squads break for the objectives.

Remember you will normally always be out numbered.    So use your superior toughness, saves, and speed to your advantage.

Right, I forgot to mention that two of the DW HQs turn basic Ravenwing bike units into troops choices - Sammael (Master of the Ravenwing) and Azrael (Chapter Master). You can do this in codex SM as well if you put a captain on a bike. With DA, however, that separately-operating attack bike attached to the RW squad also becomes a scoring unit. On the other hand, you can actually have a bigger single squad of SM bikes as a troop choice than you can with DA. The max bikes in a Ravenwing bike squad is 6 + 1 attack bike. For SM, I think you can have 8 + attack bike.

You can't have 6+1 with RW, as attack bike MUST operate as separate unit, unfortunately. The number for SM are correct.

EDIT: And one more thing - with SM captain on bike, SM bikers can be taken as Troops, while in DA case, they must be taken as troops with any of the two caracters taken.

The best advise i can offer on Raven Wing is make sure you do not play them like they are tactical squads. This may sound stupidly simple but still important.

What i mean by this is with tactical squads you normally split them up and have them hold objectives. In my experience if you split up your forces with Raven Wing you will get owned....and embarrassed. Keep all your bike units together and form a phalanx or spear head. Pick a target and focus on it. Go straight towards it. Use your other units to soften up units that are near or threatening your bike units. Make sure you wipe out the target unit with your rapid fire bolters then move to the next unit. You have to be very focused on target selection. I find a good way to do this is to send all my bikes up one table edge or the other. Hit the unit that is closest to the table corner and work your way across. This will strech your opponents weapon range and usually will provide cover from heavy weapons. Near the end of the game have your squads break for the objectives.

Remember you will normally always be out numbered. So use your superior toughness, saves, and speed to your advantage.

Artificial force multiplication by concentrating all your forces on part of your opponents is all core strategy of playing bikers. Why would you camp objectives when you can just pull back some very small and damaged squads on the last turns? Thanks though.

Keep in mind I know the old DA codex and the marine codex pretty well (never played with them but have them both on my PC). I read the 4dchan strategy, so your new equipments are known to me. Now that point costs and other such logistics are out of the way(thanks for that everyone btw), lets concentrate on tips+tricks, (if master of the ravenwing didn't make bikers troops I wouldn't be talking to you msn-wink.gif)

Allies specifically I am sure, have some potential here.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

So far we have:

Deepstrike deathwing on top of ravenwing bikers (aka double wing)

Split squads into 33% for high scoring

BANNER OF MOcensored.gif DEVESTATION ON BIKERS (this really takes the cake)

...apart from this apparently you all just run nothing but codex dark angels ohmy.png

Dont forget the speeders bought with the Attack Squadrons are scoring too....   Sammaels entry doesnt deliniate between bikes and speeders just that any RAS are scoring...  That is 4 scoring units per troops choice.

Also, nothing says you cant run your attack bikes near each other in a squadron like formation and when the other guy hits you can say, "But this second one is from another squad"

I did not mean that the 6 + 1 operated together, just that this is the maximum number of bikes that you can get if you max out a RW attack squad.

Also, I'm pretty sure the speeders are not scoring, even though they are troops selections, on account of their being vehicles.

Sorry to break from the orig question...

But roughly how many points is a fully tooled unit ( 6 bikes, ab and speeder)? I know we cant do proper points on here, but more in a 1500 game could you get 3-4 units or would you be lucky to get a couple?

Cheers

Thinking that a few ravenwing bat boxes could mean an army done?

My full squad scores at 316...  I am going to cut that down some but I need to find my melta rifles...  I have a planned 1500 list with:

Sam

Command

Black knights (6)

RAS (full)

RAS (full)

Dark Talon

Dark Shroud speeder

But I am going to test out the synergy with the one RAS/Knights and Talon before I get the other RAS and Speeder.

Tactics:

Turn One

Scout your RAS into the OP's face.

DWA a supporting DW Sqd to support the RAS

RAS/DW fire into selected OP unit.

RAS Charges, tying up OP unit

RAS Hit & Run

Turn Two:

DW Charges OP's that the RAS left sealing the deal

RAS picks another target.

DS DW Sqd to support RAS

Rinse and Repeat.

What were effectively doing here is placing massive fire on select OP units, tar-pitting them so they cant shoot anything, bouncing the RAS out and hitting them again with the Hammer.

Tactics:

Turn One

Scout your RAS into the OP's face.

DWA a supporting DW Sqd to support the RAS

RAS/DW fire into selected OP unit.

RAS Charges, tying up OP unit

RAS Hit & Run

Turn Two:

DW Charges OP's that the RAS left sealing the deal

RAS picks another target.

DS DW Sqd to support RAS

Rinse and Repeat.

What were effectively doing here is placing massive fire on select OP units, tar-pitting them so they cant shoot anything, bouncing the RAS out and hitting them again with the Hammer.

Scout move at startof the game is something i missed, thanks for reminding me!

Archived