Share your biker tips/tricks

Roma

But alas, RAS cannot assault in turn 1 if you scouted...

Unless you're going second, in which case putting yourself into the enemie's assault range might not be the best of ideas :S

Unless you're going second, in which case putting yourself into the enemie's assault range might not be the best of ideas :S

Damn, I totally have been playing wrong (just now re-read the BGB). Now I'll need to readjust and do the ethical thining (so not Darkalgely).

Damn, I totally have been playing wrong (just now re-read the BGB). Now I'll need to readjust and do the ethical thining (so not Darkalgely). Bla bla bla You're soooooo right bla bla bla thanks for making me a better player bla bla bla you know soooo much!

Fixed that for you...whistlingW.gif

For once that I actually know a rule, I have to make the most I can: its a once a year situation, I'm sure you'll understand hehe

Is there a universal rule you cant assault on first player phase or something?

I knew you cant outflank-charge, but didnt know you cant scout-charge.

Not 100% sure what page, but IIRC when describing the scouting move it states you can't assault if you go first and scouted.

Maybe its in the mission description at the end of the book...

BGB, Page 41, Scout, 2nd Para, towards the bottom of the para. "A unit that makes a Scout redeployment cannot charge in the first turn."

Relentless does not seem to overrule that...

C'mon guys, keep teaching me stuff!

BGB, Page 41, Scout, 2nd Para, towards the bottom of the para. "A unit that makes a Scout redeployment cannot charge in the first turn."

Just for the sake of clarification: this only means the very first turn of the game, so it's not a universal prohibition from scouting and charging in your first turn. If you made a scout redeployment but had the second turn (either through choice or through your opponent seizing the initiative) you would still be able to charge.

Not sure why relentless would possibly overrule it, though...

My favourite trick about our bikers currently is to attach a librarian to them whenever I get a malediction power. (Since I use Divination the most this tends to be misfortune.) By joining Ravenwing or Black knights they get to make a scout move with them. (This works even if your librarian is on foot, although it will reduce the scout move distance.) This means you are more than likely to start in range to blight an enemy unit with your malediction power. Normally this is not possible since they are all (currently) range 24" so normally would be outside of range at the start of your first turn. When going first this is a potent and wonderful trick to help make any turn one gains much more significant.

By joining Ravenwing or Black knights they get to make a scout move with them. (This works even if your librarian is on foot, although it will reduce the scout move distance.)

Is this really the case? It's no longer a scout "move" but a scout "redeployment", which I thought meant that it was 12" for any unit with the rule (as opposed to a standard move). As I only ever use it with bikes, I might well be misremembering it.

I also presume that, as it's not a move any more, it means that bikers don't get a jink save until after their first movement phase - which would be another reason not to use the scout redeployment unless you have the first turn...

Just for the sake of clarification: this only means the very first turn of the game, so it's not a universal prohibition from scouting and charging in your first turn. If you made a scout redeployment but had the second turn (either through choice or through your opponent seizing the initiative) you would still be able to charge.

No.  My reading of It translates as EITHER no charging in the first Game turn not Player turn OR Your first turn.  So if you are going 2nd it doesnt matter.

A RAWmonger may try to pull "But Relentless allows a charge after shooting".  Which it does. but it doesnt address whether scout has been used, it only addresses Charging after firing Rapid Fire.

And yes, Scout does not give you a Jink save, so be behind cover or dont do it if you are going Second.

No. My reading of It translates as EITHER no charging in the first Game turn not Player turn OR Your first turn. So if you are going 2nd it doesnt matter.

A RAWmonger may try to pull "But Relentless allows a charge after shooting". Which it does. but it doesnt address whether scout has been used, it only addresses Charging after firing Rapid Fire.

And yes, Scout does not give you a Jink save, so be behind cover or dont do it if you are going Second.

Check the rulebook FAQ msn-wink.gif : You can charge despite having scouted if you go second.

Apologies for the confusion caused by my wording. As pointed out scout is a redeployment now and therefore you do not get a jink save from it.

Glad that the FAQ addresses any confusion about scouting units assaulting. I felt GW had been quite good about it's wording for that particular interaction. The section for the scout rule is quite clear in referencing that units that use a scout redeployment may not assault on the first turn. At the start of the book (page 9 of the mini rulebook) it makes quite clear that references to 'turns' refer to player turns.

Scouting is very powerful whether going first or second. Particularly if you are lucky enough to have a conveniently large line of sight blocking piece to scenery to hide behind.

Archived