What to do with a dreadnought?

Upstartes

Nice point Mattias :)

Thinking about it, I'd say the biggest problem is getting the dread into CC the same turn you grenaned the MC.

Not a chance the dread can keep up the pace of the bikes and if you pod him, the MC will charge you in his turn, so its T6+ again...

I'd say its a hard to pull trick.

I think the best way to use it would be as a deterrent, move the Dreadnought into the mid-field in support of your objective claiming tactical squads and generate an exclusion zone based on your Dreadnoughts theoretical charge range, the bikes should have the mobility and range to move up in support when necessary.

Some targets are likely to have to come to you if they want to be of use anyway (e.g. Ork Warboss, Trygon etc) so it should be easier to set up a threat zone and protect your gunline.

I have not tried this myself but would be interested in hearing whether it would prove to be useful and whether it would make people consider a Dreadnought without two ranged weapons more often. 

I hate to say it, but in this edition of the game, I have found Dreads to be too fragile. Now that just about everyone has access to some form of grenades, Krak grenades in particular, it means any Space Marine squad you charge has a chance to kill your Dread. AV 12 and 3 HP is just too fragile. When your Dread gets hit, in addition to suffering the vehicle damage, you lose a Hull Point. My Dreads don't usually die to vehicle damage, they die to lost HP's.

IMHO, the days of a DA Close Combat Dread are over. It's all about the Mortis Dreads now, but to pay that many points for a Mortis, I'd rather field a Devastator squad with ML's or LC's first, then a Pred Annihilator before a Mortis Dread. :/ It's sad, because Mortis Dreads have the rule of Kewl, but for effectiveness and points efficiency, a Devastator Squad standing behind an Aegis Line is far, far more effective and can take way more punishment then a Mortis Dread.

I can see a use for a "suicide run" Dread with say, Heavy Flamer and whatever else, inside a Drop Pod supporting a Deathwing Assault. Haven't tried it yet, as once again, I hate doing something like that- "throwing away" a unit and expecting it to die quickly. Especially 150 points (Dread + Drop Pod) worth in a 1500 or 1750 point game.

It's all about the Mortis Dreads now, but to pay that many points for a Mortis, I'd rather field a Devastator squad with ML's or LC's first, then a Pred Annihilator before a Mortis Dread. :/ It's sad, because Mortis Dreads have the rule of Kewl, but for effectiveness and points efficiency, a Devastator Squad standing behind an Aegis Line is far, far more effective and can take way more punishment then a Mortis Dread.

Mortis behind Ægis line? xD

Should cost about as much as a dev squad + Ægis line, if not cheaper (TLML/TLAC versions, at least).

Until HP, I always fielded dreads...after HP but before the new codex, I sometimes did.  Now I don't. Combination of HP and better uses for the points.

This. Anything less than AV13 is at a real detriment this edition. It's sad because I own 3 of them, one being the FW Venerable Dread. Sigh, maybe next edition? Why do I feel like I've been saying that over and over recently?

It would have been nice if Venerable had offered some defense against HP stripping - an extra HP, or a saving throw against losing one. It's weird that a hit that would blow up another dread might only stun a venerable dread, but the exact same number of glancing hits will do him in every time.

Until HP, I always fielded dreads...after HP but before the new codex, I sometimes did.  Now I don't. Combination of HP and better uses for the points.

This. Anything less than AV13 is at a real detriment this edition. It's sad because I own 3 of them, one being the FW Venerable Dread. Sigh, maybe next edition? Why do I feel like I've been saying that over and over recently?

I know, I have the stunty old FW dread with a PC, the GW vennie with TLAC and HF, and the FW DA dreddy as a black (ravenwing?  legion?  You make the call) hellfire.  Great models, rendered 'meh' by the current set of books.

Well, after all the advice, this is what I ended up doing:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-NO-6mBbulLA/UXcTE--aTRI/AAAAAAAAAKo/YHDYsPR1lUY/IMAG1156.png

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-fUjjmtQ_KrA/UXcTIQV636I/AAAAAAAAAK4/Zui_6TwBkk8/IMAG1154.png

I always used to use dreads as short-range platforms, so I decided to try something different. Likewise with plasma cannons - never really used them so decided to try them. So this will be my platform for experimenting with new dreadnought tactics. Plus, the conversion was fun.

Where i play they allow anything that you can show rules for.  I always run at least 1 Mortis (2 Autocannons or Missile Launchers) to accompany my 2 ML and 2 LC Dev Squad.  This way I have something with Interceptor/Skyfire as flyers have become very popular as of late.  The twin weapons makes him great against light vehicles and air support.  Also, if there aren't many vehicles to worry about I use them for anti-infantry as well.  

A great, and pretty cheap, all around unit.

I like to roll with a missle Launcher and multimelta but i've only used one a couple of times. The MM really helped taking down armored units. I just wish they would be able to have flakk nades in the launchers.

Archived