Dreadnought + Drop Pod

Grushdeva

Okay, so the rules for "Open Top" vehicles state that they can be assaulted from.  I am wanting to use a Dreadnought + Drop Pod solution to end long range support vehicles and provide something for the enemy to focus on rather than my squishies on the first turn or two.  My question is this ...

As the rules state that Open Top vehicles are assault vehicles, does this mean that the Dreadnought can elect to use the Drop Pod and then land, and assault on turn one?  If so, it would be great.  I really do not want to get the FW edition (which is what everyone says you need for assaulting dreadnoughts) as I already own a regular drop pod which should work according to Codex.

I am also hoping that this might help against some IG that always show up to my local shop to play.  The front armor on those tanks is always so ridiculous to get through.  Even with loading up on lascannons I am trying to find a more expedient way to eliminate the "big gun support".  Any other ideas I could think of besides drop podding in some Dreadnoughts or Ravenwing Support Squads?

It's not the rules of the vehicle in question, but the rules of Deepstriking that make this not possible.  Unless another rule overwrites it; IE: Forge World Lucious Pattern Drop Pods have a rule that specifically states that they can assault the turn they arrive via Deepstrike, but there are other rules involved (I'm not sure which is most current, but I believe that they have to roll a DT Test to do said maneuver).

Hope this helps.

Paul

You can't assault after Deep Striking, even from an Assault Vehicle. This is why Blood Angels can't assault from a deep striking Land Raider (not that they need another reason not to Deep Strike their Land Raiders...). The Dreadnought Drop Pod from Forge World is an exception and has its own special rules. Going purely by your codex and your core rulebook, no, you may not assault from a Deep Striking vehicle, regardless of the Assault Vehicle special rule.

Well, I guess I'll leave it up to what I'm up against then to determine whether I put a Dev squad or a Dreadnought in the thing then.  

Anyone else have experience fielding the Dreadnought in a drop pod or in a dreadnought style one?  How did it work?

Archived