Thinking about Dark Angels as my new army!

cloneman

Heya guys!

Lately i have been thinking about starting a new army, since my friends don't want to play against my Necrons anymore (i tabled the opponents the last 4 games before turn 4), so i figured i might start over.

After looking at the DA codex i figured "HOLY :cuss! THIS IS AWESOME", i love the fluff, the story and the models.

i guess what i want to ask is this: Are Dark Angels as fun to play as they seem to be? i really like the more fluffy and awesomelooking armies, and a Deathwing force would be awesome! also, will i still be able to win some matches without having practiced the army for a long time? i only get to play 40k once or twice each month, so that would be great :)

And finally, if you guys could tell me what excites you the most about dark angels, and what type of DA you play (Deathwing, Ravenwing, greenwing etc.), and why it is just THAT kind of army that is awesome.

many regards, Cloneman

I'm speaking very subjectively here. If you're running DA because you think it's a great power army, you'll not make friends fast here. Most of us have weathered a lot of sub par codices to play an army we love for the background, aesthetics, and the challenge of the game.

On the other hand, if you're interested in everything it means to be a Dark Angel, pull up a chair.

Will you need to practice? Yes. DA aren't a win button army, not at all. We never have been. I've tabled veteran players in 2 turns. I've lost to novices in the same because of a single mistake. Deathwing and Ravenwing armies are like nuclear weapons balanced on the edge of a sword. They're immensely powerful yet dangerously specialized. What Dark Angels represent is the purity of balance. Any of the 3 forms can be deadly on its own, but the tactical flexibility afforded by deathwing, ravenwing, and greenwing is the true strength of the codex.

The one thing that sets Dark Angels apart from other marine chapters is the lack of a specific rule theme. We have a narrative theme and character in spades, but we aren't dedicated to shooting, assault, movement, psykers, armor, etc. Think of Dark Angels like water. If it's a play style you like, we have it. If it's an army you're having trouble with, our codex has a solution. If you just want to be silly and field a silly list, we can help you.

You'll find the biggest reason we all play Dark Angels is the background. It's very well written, with both internal and external struggles against chaos. It's not puritan, and shows a very human side of marines. Dark Angels embody the struggle between chaos and the imperium, creating an elusive, if not mythical, organization to absolve their sins. We also have a plethora of personalities. Though generally quiet and taciturn, the inner circle is not replete with mary sues. Instead, it has headstrong characters that invest in the chapter by preventing losses instead of tossing themselves at an enemy. Azrael, the Supreme Grand Master, was appointed to office after his predecessor contracted a disease fighting nurgle and incinerated himself to prevent spreading it to the chapter. Belial was soundly defeated by Gazghul on Piscina IV, but not before halting the Orks' advance long enough for reinforcements to turn the tide of battle.

Another reason to love DA is that ours is the beta codex. We had overwatch in 3rd edition (through the banner of devastation). We had dual rounds for the whirlwind. We had the first str6 power weapon. We had the first all terminator/bike force. We had the first plasma cannon tactical marines, we had the first all combi-bolter veteran squad. We were the first to have a lot of things that were spammed out to other armies.

But, now we have a pretty solid codex and the best fluff in the imperium (well, in the game as far as I'm concerned).

Archived