Load out for Tactical, Dev and Assault Squads

captain sox

Hi Folks!

Just wanting to get some opinions on how you load out your Tactical, Dev and Assault Squads? Do you ever upgrade your Sergeants?

for Tactical, I've read that Plasma/Plasma is the favoured combo, but are there other things people like to run? For Devastator Squads people swear to run 4 of the same type, and not mix and match (ie Laz Laz, ML, ML)

Do people even run Assault Squads? Do you arm them with Flamers or Plasma?

I'm interested to see the options and combos people run.

Thanks!

Hi Folks!

Just wanting to get some opinions on how you load out your Tactical, Dev and Assault Squads? Do you ever upgrade your Sergeants?

for Tactical, I've read that Plasma/Plasma is the favoured combo, but are there other things people like to run? For Devastator Squads people swear to run 4 of the same type, and not mix and match (ie Laz Laz, ML, ML)

Do people even run Assault Squads? Do you arm them with Flamers or Plasma?

I'm interested to see the options and combos people run.

Thanks!

Must admit I do favour the Combi-Plasma/Plasma Gun approach now that we have the Standard of Devastation so no, I don't bother upgrading my Sergeants to Veterans.

Devastators: Yep I also run 4 of the same weapon. In my case it's Missile Launchers because I face Guard, Orks and Space Marines most often so I favour their versatility.

I do run an Assault Squad in my Greenwing force. They're armed with Plasma Pistols because they're about 15 years old and I run them because 1) my Greenwing list is based around a Battle Company, so no Ravenwing allowed and 2) I kind of feel sorry for them, sitting alone in my cupboard. The Assault Squad is the only squad that ever gets an upgraded Sergeant.

Nothing exciting I'm afraid.

I used to run my devastators with 4 missile launchers, but with the new edition, that has changed to 4 lascannons. They only cost 5 points more, they have a higher chance of penetrating vehicles and when they do the chance they will kill the vehicle outright is twice as high.

I don't find frag missiles to be particularly use full as after wounding and armor saves i don't kill more than 2-3 guys anyway, and you will get the same result with 4 lascannons. 

So in my oppinion, in the current edition, missile launchers are out and Lascannons are in.

It's plas/plas/ power sword for my tacticals, four lascannons for my devastators (always has been...even when they were points-inefficient, by the Lion, they got the job done!), and just a power sword for my assault squad.  The assault squad may be gaining a pair of flamers in the future, that seems like an excellent choice, but it's a new enough option that it hasn't percolated to the top of my to-do list...but no plasma pistols, those are just not worth it!

Do any of you run with more than 1 Dev Squad? I have one built today that is 4 x Lascannons, but I have 3 ML, 6 PC and 3 MM and HB to figure out what to do with. Is it worthwhile to put Missile Launchers in Tac Squads, for the option of Flakk? What do you use for vs Flyers aside from the Aegis Defence Line? (I have 2 of them now as well). Was planning a second Dev Squad with 4 x Plasma Cannons...

I'm still iffy on Assault Squads because I really like Land Speeders...

thanks for the input so far.

I use either plas/plas or melta/las tacticals, like March says;plas/plas are great.

I use either plasx4 or lasx4 or lasx2/plasx2 combat squaded Devs.

I now love using assault squads with flamersx2 they are great at attracting heat as they charge over terrain with an Interrogator/MoR.

I have been running those squads like that since 3rd, now they are cheaper they are great at their job (Yup, I ran 'green marines' when I used assault dudes). These squad load outs were awesome in 3rd, great in 4th, ordinary in 5th and are back to pretty damned good now.

The one thing I have changed is less powerfists and more swords, with only the assault Sgt getting an upgrade.

I put in a diffrent thread, but it's worth repeating :D

for my tacticals, i like to run two 10 man squads in rhinos. one has dual flamers, the other has dual melta. they move up with all the other high priority targets to claim objectives and add more bodies to the fight.

i also run two 5 man squads of dual plasmas in las cannon razorbacks. these guys won me a lot of games, actually. they are great for taking out armor and both work together to take on bigger targets. they also tend to go unnoticed, so they sneak around and grab line breaker.

How can you put dual flamers/melta in Tactical squad? Ten man squad can have one Special and one Heavy weapon, there is no option for two Special (unless I've missed something, again). Ok, "dual" melta can be done, if one is multi-melta.

Edit: Unless you are referring to combi-flamer/melta on sergant?

Do any of you run with more than 1 Dev Squad? I have one built today that is 4 x Lascannons, but I have 3 ML, 6 PC and 3 MM and HB to figure out what to do with. Is it worthwhile to put Missile Launchers in Tac Squads, for the option of Flakk? What do you use for vs Flyers aside from the Aegis Defence Line? (I have 2 of them now as well). Was planning a second Dev Squad with 4 x Plasma Cannons...

Flak is not terrible...but what's more effective?  A single plasma cannon, or a single flak missile?  What's overkill, four flak missiles, or four plasma cannons in the same squad?  If you choose to field flak missiles, don't drop your tactical plasma, that's robbing peter to pay paul.  Instead, take a second dev squad (or a first one, if you're not fielding four lascannon devs) with flak.

As for me, I don't take dedicated air defense assets.  A lascannon dev squad with a prescience PFG libby is kind of a standard unit in a greenwing list anyway, and it's going to average a little over one hit per turn against an aircraft...with a 50% chance to pen...that's not insignificant.  Add in incidental fire from the rest of my antitank assets, and I can get by without spending points that are entirely wasted if the enemy fields no aircraft.

I am in the middle of redisigning my all comers so I will drop the razors and vengeance and probably add another squad in the mix.

Again with 2x las 2xheavy bolters. I have missiles and flamers on the tacs.

How can you put dual flamers/melta in Tactical squad? Ten man squad can have one Special and one Heavy weapon, there is no option for two Special (unless I've missed something, again). Ok, "dual" melta can be done, if one is multi-melta.

Edit: Unless you are referring to combi-flamer/melta on sergant?

I am in fact. I thought that what people where referring to in this thread sweat.gif

Archived