RAS special weapons chioces

Upstartes

So, I'm modeling 2 RW attack squads and thinking about special weapons.

One will be 3-man, with an associated attack bike. This team is cut & dried: 2x melta-guns and multi-melta on the bike.

The second RAS will be 6-man so they can bring along a speeder if desired. They'll also get a MM attack bike. I'm uncertain, however, what special weapons to give this crew.

* Another set of melta for anti-vehicle punch?

* Plasma guns for anti-infantry / anti-MC?

* Flamers to rush up and flame stealthy guys in cover?

I also have a team of 6 black knights, so maybe giving plasma to the RAS is redundant?

On a related note, anyone have thoughts on whether I should add a complementary combi-weapon on the sergeant for each RAS? Or is that wasted points?

I have 3 full RAS.  They are all pure melta.  I've only played them in about 10 games in this edition, but in those games (as well as many games in last edition) I have really liked the amount of mobile anti-armor firepower they brought. 

I do feel that the plasma guns are redundant.  I am assembling a fourth RAS and I'm considering going with flamers on that one but I have never tried that loadout in the past. 

flamers.  the only real shortcoming of a flamer is its short reach, but they really stick it to people who rely on cover to keep their stuff alive.  IG will spend mega points to field creed with four veteran squads that get 2+ cover by hitting the dirt every turn...but creed's 4 orders per turn gets them back up to shoot again.  Really hard impossible to kill outside of assault, unless you have flamers...and then, the flamers give them no save at all.  One RAS with flamers would obliterate the heart of that gimmick.  Also great for tau pathfinders, hordes, any pesky elf snipers.

how do you re-roll gets hot? O.o

Also, what about one weapon per squad?

Sammael has Inner Circle, which gives him (and any unit he is attached to) Preferred Enemy: Chaos Space Marines, allowing them to re-roll to hit and to wound rolls of 1!

I still run this even if I have a Black Knight squad.  It's scoring a scoring unit, and Sammael also grants the RAS Skilled Rider.

flamers.  the only real shortcoming of a flamer is its short reach, but they really stick it to people who rely on cover to keep their stuff alive.  IG will spend mega points to field creed with four veteran squads that get 2+ cover by hitting the dirt every turn...but creed's 4 orders per turn gets them back up to shoot again.  Really hard impossible to kill outside of assault, unless you have flamers...and then, the flamers give them no save at all.  One RAS with flamers would obliterate the heart of that gimmick.  Also great for tau pathfinders, hordes, any pesky elf snipers.

I concur. I run:

2x flamers

2x Plasma

2x melta

If you have a knight squadron, then the plasma becomes redundant. Flamers are extremely effective on ravenwing units because of their speed and hit and run. If you don't want flamers, I'd recommend another set of melta.

Yeah, I wouldn't go with the plasma for that second squad. Honestly, if you just do two flamers, then you'd have to ability to switch the load outs around, so if you needed more durable Melta, you can use the flamers in the reduced squad, if you are charging into where the flamers need it, use that load out. More options = better IMO.

There's only one thing a single meltagun is guaranteed to do.......miss! Its one of the unwritten rules of the game msn-wink.gif

Yep, I can verify this.

Multi-meltas too, especially when mounted on a Landspeeder...

If I'm running an Outflanking melta suicide squad then I make it as cheap as possible, because the Sergeant acts as the ablative wound. So it would be a 3 man squad, 2 meltaguns, multimelta attack bike - 155 points. If I could run them as a single squad then I would, but alas they are independent units! If I was running them as a 6 man unit, and using the meltaguns as target of opportunity weapons, then a combi weapon is not a bad purchase.

Archived