land speeder vengeance

oldmanlee

Yep I do (proxie though).

Its one tricky beast. Dont depend on it, the word plasma is enough to ensure it will be hit by anything that can hit it and its too fragile for that.

Mostly I use them from reserve or on the back of a gunline to keep em as safe as possible.

If you deepstrike them, deepstrike them somewhere that the speeder can destroy it quickly and as far as possible, always stay at max range.

IDK, why take one over a vindicator or *maybe* the predator executioner from FW...

While I agree, the only reason is the ones you named cannot deep strike. While the Vengeance can, it means it can be put into a better position to shoot those hard to see units.

I've used it to decent effect (deepstriking off of a Drop-pod on an enemy's flank). As it's been said, use it as another piece but not as a corner piece of an army and it just gives your opponent another target to deal with (because if ignored you just drop Plas-Plates on his largest/Armor 2+ units)

be prepared for it to die really, really fast, its kind of a one shot wonder as it is fragile and people fear its punch. It will last longer with a Darkshroud running alongside it for the +1 to your cover save, which means you have a chance not to die fast.

However, if you fight Tau, its dead as soon as they strip that cover save. 

The biggest weakness of the speeder is that BOLTGUNS can glance it to death, only needing two/three (cannot remember how many HP atm) sixes.

This said, if you can get of a nice, 3 shot against packed infantry or elite units before dying you can really, really wreck someones day. I would suggest considering deepstriking it behind enemy lines out of sight of heavy weapons in order to gain protection, this means it lasts longer and, with the 24" range has a chance to actually get a shot of.

Other than that, I consider two Typhoons to be a better spending of your point for the versatility and longer range they offer.

Avoid using it on units with a cover save. I wasted a couple of shots on an Ork Bike unit. Though they are good against non-invul/cover save units and MC's in burst mode.

Proper placement will negate it being a fire magnet from the OP. As mentioned above it will die fast if it is the only threat on the label. Mine stayed in play every game because their was much more for the OP to deal with than just it. Keeping it at its max 24" range and protected by cover on one side or another will not see it destroyed very fast. I use mine as a HVY choice with my RW. When push comes to shove the OP will want to deal with the multiple threats in his face sooner than something in the backfield.

I can see them being okay as the only available heavy support choice in a pure RW army...but outside of that...they're just not good enough at what they do.  A drop-podding dreadnought does the same thing for a few more points, the difference being that the dreadnought is far, far more likely to live to tell the tale.  Similarly, I can see maybe using one in your own backfield...but, for the points, wouldn't a typhoon do better work for cheaper?  So, even in that role, I wouldn't take them until and unless my fast attack slots are full.  IMHO, they only have a place in a list if you're playing pure RW, and your FA slots are full, and you still need more high-S speeder-based (as opposed to meltabike) shooting.  Pretty unique set of circumstances.  I'll eventually buy the kit, but I'll be building a fluffier Darkshroud out of it.  Not sure the darkshroud will ever see the tabletop...but then, this might not, either:

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff471/headhuntersix/DT3.jpg

The only reason to take a Land Speeder Vengence is because you want to take a LS Vengence. As others have noted, there are other options that are in the same points range with much more durability/survivability, and in some cases, more effective.

You have an AV 10, two HP Fast Skimmer with two weapons- one of which can kill you with a Get's Hot! roll. The Plasma Storm Battery only has a range of 24"... ugh. The other weapon, a Heavy Bolter is so 'meh', it's not even funny. Most people will upgrade that to an Assault Cannon, which is a mistake, as it makes an already fragile, overly expensive unit come in at a whopping 160 points! For defense, yeah, it can jink, but when small arms fire can take one down... I wouldn't depend on it. The vehicle damage table is very unfriendly to skimmers.

If you take it, it'll be target #1 because of the scary Plasma Storm Battery.

For tactics, there isn't much to say. Keep it moving, but you have to get close to use it- within 24", which means almost every small arms weapon in the game can shoot you back. Hiding it behind cover doesn't seem to make sense- if it's hiding, then it ain't shooting, and if it ain't shooting, why did you bring it? I'm not saying have it out in the open, block firing lanes to it and all that, but if it's hiding...

It can't play in the backfield, because of the short range of the cannon.

Deepstriking would be a suicide run, and there are far, far better units in a DA army that are better for that (Deathwing, Ravenwing, drop pod Dread).

Use it if you want to! Just don't expect much from it. Cue the inevitable post of "I take three in every army and they always kill everything and I have never lost one yet!" posts. rolleyes.gif

Archived