Sicarius in 6th - worth it?

tomsev

Anyone else think the FW legion praetor in PA would make a great Sicarius stand in? Looks better than the official one IMO, and no fine cast to boot!

Edit: typo

The Legion Praetor has the same vertical sword pose, but the Mk IV Maximus Command set that comes with a standard bearer and a commander has a cape, crested helmet, and is holding the helmet in his arms like Sicarius.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else think the FW legion praetor in PA would make a great Sicarius stand in? Looks better than the official one IMO, and no fine cast to boot!

Edit: typo

The Legion Praetor has the same vertical sword pose, but the Mk IV Maximus Command set that comes with a standard bearer and a commander has a cape, crested helmet, and is holding the helmet in his arms like Sicarius.

i kit bashed a sicarius using the standand bearer helmet from that very set...

• 2 weeks later...

With the new codex rumors upon us, I was curious if the reported changes (both in terms of pts. and abilities) to Sicarius have changed anyone's mind about him? Many folks had previously complained about his cost which is now reduced, although his abilities may have been adjusted for it. From what I have read he has lost his re-roll initiative ability in favor of +1 reserves and it also appears that they have dropped Tank Hunters from the list of USR's he can assign. If that is the case I believe my dreams of a tank hunting twin liked melta tactical squad may have been a bit premature. :)

You're better off taking a normal captain with artifacer armour, plasma pistol and the burning sword.

10 points cheaper, just as tough and a hell lot better at killing.

He does have perks.

Giving infiltrate or tank hunters to a tac squad can be useful.

+1 to reserves can be good or bad

Leadership 10 army wide is great, but I predict Calgar will be more popular now and he allows us to chose to pass or fail any morale, pinning or leadership test at will!

If coup de grace was AP2 Sucarius would be great....

But a normal captain can now have strength 7, ap2 cc attacks? He could take out 3/4 termies on the charge. Sicarius wil be left out as he can't do that....

I used to be a big supporter of Sicarius... but with these chapter relics we can make more powerful and cheaper generic characters...

I'm not sure if they are cheaper. For a generic Captain with the Burning Blade and a plasma/grav pistol and artificer armour you're looking at 190pts, same price as Sicarius according to rumours.

So it's a choice between a character who kills troops in hand to hand and has a good pistol shot for more powerful opponents or a character who is tougher (FNP) still okay at killing infantry but allows you to take a Tactical squad on Quad gun with a Flak missile and tank hunters, plus other abilities that are good for you if you built your army in certain ways (I rarely use reserves and I wouldn't have him charging a Terminator squad, instead I'd put him in a Sternguard squad).

Captains are 90 points. 30 more for AA and Plasma Pistol. 55 for the burning blade so 175 total. Unless the price of AA went up?

Yes Sicarius has FnP, but a command squad could provide that...

I know many speak highly of the command squad, but I've never heard of the Captain being reduced to almost a tax on them... seems a disservice to a pretty good unit.

The jury is still out on Sicarius for now but I'm thinking he'll likely be fine. Unfortunately I won't be able to get my hands on the new codex for a while so I'll be relying on others to provide the details when the time comes :)

To those comparing sicaruius to a generic captain, would you really buy the plasma pistol? I know it's in the interest of keeping the equipment the same, but I'd rather save the points especially if AA goes up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived