how do you kit out your command squad?

CheeseWhiz

For the standard bearer, the fact you can't take a special weapon as well as the banner is a git, but the banner itself doesn't really do much for codex marines. Re rolling failed morale and pinning is a bit naff when we're immune to sweeping anyway, and quite often we'll voluntarily fall back to get an extra round of shooting. I don't know about the rest of you, but I rarely find myself in the situation where +1 combat res would have significantly changed things either way.

For the standard bearer, the fact you can't take a special weapon as well as the banner is a git, but the banner itself doesn't really do much for codex marines. Re rolling failed morale and pinning is a bit naff when we're immune to sweeping anyway, and quite often we'll voluntarily fall back to get an extra round of shooting. I don't know about the rest of you, but I rarely find myself in the situation where +1 combat res would have significantly changed things either way.

What would prevent you from doing so?

Yes the command squad is a bit schizophrenic. The availability of the Standard Bearer and Champion imply GW wants it to be a CC squad but the cost to make it so is prohibitive. It could see it being workable if the next codex delivers us an assault capable "Command" Razorback variant but otherwise I just can't see that many points standing out in the open to be shot to hell after they pile out of a Rhino.

The minor problem I have with the shooting variants is that you can't upgrade the Apothecary, creating a tax of sorts as you will generally have one model out of range thus gimping your firepower. I would even be thrilled if they could just give him a bolter to plink away with.

That's my bad, had my guard mindset on, the rest still stands

You had me scared for a second, I thought  had been doing it wrong.

You are spot on with the rest of that post.  The banner is really not useful in a special weapon shooty squad.

Maybe I'll just have him as a "counts as nothing", at least then I'd still get to have the banner. My Guard Command Squad has been stealing all the glory with their banner led charges to victory and it's about time my Marines got in on the action. Maybe next codex we can get some solid choices for them? The +1 combat resolution seems rather pointless now.

I am also an advocate for the Melta/Flamer equipped Marines.  Sometimes i run the quad plasma.  But my favorite squad as of yet is the "half and half" as i call them.  

Apothecary, 2x Plasma guns, 2x Melta/Flamer.  I also tend to run them with a Servoharness Techmarine attatched.  It gives you a little of everything without being too much of an efficiency sacrifice.  You can either fire 2 Meltas, 2 Plasmas, a TL Plasma Pistol, a harness flamer, and Apothecary throwing a krak at monsters or vehicles.

Or you can fire 3 flamers, 2 plasma guns, a TL plas pistol, and Apothecary throwning a frag at infantry and hoards.

I like to either pod them at targets they are kitted to destroy, or ride them in a cheaper Razorback.  

I will also point out that the Techmarine is good for walking in front with his 2+ and for tanking challenges since there is no champ in my unit.

Some times if im feeling particularly generous, i give them a few melta bombs too.  but i usually DO NOT like to spend more than the 15 points per vet.  

I think the banner should allow you to elect to withdraw other Space Marine Squads towards the banners position, rather than the table edge.

That is what banners are for, after all - being a big sign that says "Regroup Here"

Expect there to be changes to the banners akin to what Dark Angels got when we get the next codex, I'm hoping we get something different as opposed to the dakka banner by a different name.

No one has mentioned Codex Space Marines Bike Command Squads...

Command Squad - 300

Bikes

- Apothecary with Chainsword & Bolt Pistol

- Champion with Power Lance, Bolt Pistol & Combat Shield

- Veteran with Powerfist & Meltagun

- Veteran with Lightening Claw & Meltagun

- Veteran with Lightening Claw & Flamer

One can switch around their weapon arrangement a bit.

Pros

- Fast Assault Squad

- Fast Weapon Platform Squad

Cons

- Expensive

Better than Vanguard as it's more durable (+1 T, FnP) and has better shooting and because of this it works well in a fast moving force (e.g. White Scars, Raven Guard and Codex 6th and 8th reserve companies).  However one could have had 10 Sternguard (with combi-weapons) or 7 Terminators (plus upgrades) for that cost...  Your thoughts gentlemen?

Your thoughts gentlemen?

The problem with this kind of squad is the level of "risk" you are exposing yourself to. Every casualty is expensive, with upgrades on every model, so your points value and combat ability erodes at a linear rate.

Now, assuming here that you are using a Biker Command Squad as a support unit for a Biker Captain, you should be looking at the unit as a force to support him in combat. You want the Champion (to spare your Captain from challenges), so how are you kitting out the Captain to take advantage of that?

I would look at the unit as a barebones force, with just the Champion and maybe a Shield Bearer along. That's about 50 points less and much more role-oriented.

If you want bike-mounted special weapons, look at Bike Squads or Attack Bike Squadrons; I would advise against trying to multi-role Command Squads.

Archived