Training Mission vs Ultramarines

bluepillredpill

So on monday coming I have a 1000 point games against a long time friend who I have never went up against.

It will be my Angels vs his blue smurfs - rules of engagement to be defined at time of deployment.

I'm not looking for army lists here but more general sugesstion on the best way to approach a marine vs marine game.

weapon & troop options, go for it hard, sit back and barrage from a distance etc.

I suggest you use the tools that hurt him most.

Oh wait, you want particular? hehe

- RWBK will work wonders: AP2 shots, -1T templates that mean most foot marines will go down regardless of wounds.

- LS Typhoon/HB gives you range, AP3 and a solid and mobile firebase

- First Legion...First Company..**cough cough **

Actually, SMs are so flexible/generic that you can't actually pin down their weaknesses. I'd say their biggest shortcoming is that unless they taylor their list, they are jack of all trades...but master of none.

Hope it helps ;)

So on monday coming I have a 1000 point games against a long time friend who I have never went up against.

It will be my Angels vs his blue smurfs - rules of engagement to be defined at time of deployment.

I'm not looking for army lists here but more general sugesstion on the best way to approach a marine vs marine game.

weapon & troop options, go for it hard, sit back and barrage from a distance etc.

There are so many ways you could approach this game. I personally would go for the ubiquitous Standard of Devastation approach.

Games played against armies from C:SM are hard to call because there are a variety of different builds you can come up against, making it difficult to formulate any strategies. This is especially true given that you haven't played him before.

If he's a long time friend you should have a decent idea of his nature. You could predict his most probable build and counter it. For example, a good friend of mine is extremely aggressive in his tactics; he plays several armies but his lists are always centred around bringing the fight to me. Conversely he knows I'm extremely defensive; he will always face a gunline of some form. Another friend of mine has a thing for armour. He will always try to bring as many tanks as possible, even in a small game.

Marine vs. Marine, go with quantity. Lots of firepower or lots of Attacks. I always maintain the best way to kill a Marine squad is to make them take lots of saves. Allows you to save points on heavy weapons too. The Standard of Devastation with some supporting elements should work nicely.

This is a one off game your talking about, so you cant necessarily expect that hes going to bring a TAC list, but I would say your going to want to really look at his list before the game starts. After that consider how to get mismatches and take apart is army piece meal by isolating sections and trying to bring all of your force to bear on a portion of his.

Things to watch out for.

Expect he may have sternguard in a drop pod. either screen armor with infantry or keep it off the table if possible. Consider anti drop pod deployment, in which you spread out to take up as much area as you can utilizing terrain and buildings to dictate where he is allowed to land.

Combat tactics will make it tough to keep him in assault, so some plasma will help.

This is a one off game your talking about, so you cant necessarily expect that hes going to bring a TAC list, but I would say your going to want to really look at his list before the game starts. After that consider how to get mismatches and take apart is army piece meal by isolating sections and trying to bring all of your force to bear on a portion of his.

Things to watch out for.

Expect he may have sternguard in a drop pod. either screen armor with infantry or keep it off the table if possible. Consider anti drop pod deployment, in which you spread out to take up as much area as you can utilizing terrain and buildings to dictate where he is allowed to land.

Combat tactics will make it tough to keep him in assault, so some plasma will help.

For all of the self critism Polythemus has been making lately, I actually consider him a good tactical player. I second this post.

Look at your army list, decide what role each unit or section of units is filling and make sure that you're not purchasing units just for the sake of purchasing them. Army synergy beats individually powerful units on any average luck day.

Things to watch out for.

For all of the self critism Polythemus has been making lately, I actually consider him a good tactical player. I second this post.

Agreed. I subscribe to a lot of Battle Report blogs, but his are the only ones I tend to read biggrin.png

Was a win for the lion 5-3

I went for

Azarel

10 tactical PG/PC

5 Deathwing - 2*SB/CF 1 AC/PF, Serg

6 Ravenwing 1 PG, 4SB, Serg

Nephilim

Smurfs

Librarian

5 Scouts 1 ML, 4 Snipers

5 Scouts 1 ML, 4 Snipers

9 Sternguard, Bolters

9 Sternguard, Bolters

9 Sternguard, Bolters

This was my friend’s actual first game in 6th so hence the reason for the list I went for as I wanted to give him a mixed element to go up against.

Managed to get 1st blood on the 1st turn as he had intercepted his scouts up then I opted to scout my bikes into position so they were able to open fire on them straight away.

My Deathwing weathered a ton of sternquard bullets before they fell in combat as they got sandwiched between 2 sternguard units.

Nephilim was thrown into to give him a lesson in flying, came in turn 2 and managed to pick of a number of guards over 2 turns before leaving the battlefield and returning the next turn not that effective but I expected that.

Azarel and his unit didn’t see much action as they was a lot of sight blocking in the way and spent the 1st 3 turns moving along the side of a large LOS blocking mountain

Perils of the warp claimed the librarian so a very generous warlord slain to me at the end of turn 5 when the game ended

Given the complete lack of AP 2 in his list, it looks like he assumed you weren't going to play termies at all; his loss (but your victory).  ;)  Was there any kind of mission, or was the objective just to see how much killing you could do in five turns?  Also, did you manage to put much of a dent into his sternguard?  (Without the termies, taking on that much AP3 in power armor looks pretty ugly.)

was emperors will (one objective placed each), took two squads down to 4 each and the other squad was left very much unscarred as they were foot slogging a good bit. 

I wasn't overly concerned about winning it was more to give my opponent a game in 6th land.

I could have easily went 15+ terminators with Belial or a gunline with plasma thrown into it but wanted to give him a run rather than a mauling

Archived