best build for assault squad sarg

tomsev

im building an assault squad in a rhino or pod (without jump packs) with dual flamers so whats the best build for the sarg?

i was thinking combi flamer and either fist or claw but then again cant choose which one...

i need help 

I have used both power sword/pistol and dual claws.  The dual claws is the way to go.  You loose one pistol shot....big deal.  the claws give you the reroll ability.  That can be golden.

what about combi flamer and claw, i loose one attack in combat but can drop another template in the shooting phase before the assault, it could also help if i get charged with the wall of fire...

You just get the template once and loose the extra attack each and every combat round. 

Also...to use the flamer he has to be in the front of the unit.  And thus will be one of the first to die to overwatch or shooting should you fail your charge roll.

I think it better to leave the flamers on the regular marines and leave the sgt to do as much HtH damage as he can.

That depends on how often you plan to charge 2+ armor save units. Another option would be to go 2 Claws+meltabomb. That way you cannot be tarpitted by a dreadnought. It gets expensive quickly though.

quick hi-jack... Can a melta bomb be used on a Monstrous creature? 

Check pg 62 (bottom, right corner).

As for assault squad sarge equip. I generally prefer cheap builds for all my sergeants. For my assault sergeant, I usually just have melta bombs and call it a day. Ofc, my assault squad's much smaller than a full 10 man squad.

wll if it helps theyre gonna be going with azzy so what would best complete him? maybe ill switch over to vets but ill be in the same mess as i dont know how to equip them...

Unfortunately, Dark Angels assault squad Sgts can't have dual claws (and neither can our Tac Sgts or Dev Sgts)

You can only replace one weapon with a melee weapon.

I've never thought of that; seems a bit odd. Who besides Belial, termies and company veterans can take dual claws?

You just get the template once and loose the extra attack each and every combat round.

Also...to use the flamer he has to be in the front of the unit. And thus will be one of the first to die to overwatch or shooting should you fail your charge roll.

I think it better to leave the flamers on the regular marines and leave the sgt to do as much HtH damage as he can.

Well... 2 flamers, one sgt with bolter flamer, one techmarine with servo harness and bolter flamer = 5 flamers template the turn you arrive ... Don't think there'll be enough survivors for an overwatch :lol:

And even if you just run with 2 flamers and the vet sgt with bolter flamer, if you place your model correctly, you can avoid the vet sgt to be touched by an overwatch... Just place your squad like that:

Marine ____sergent____ marine

Flamer marine____marine flamer

You'll leave a room for the little conic part of the template. You may also put the 2 marines of the front line a little more ahead than the 2 flamers to prevent them being touched.

V6 is all a matter of positioning model. There are times when it's your opponent who may decide which of your models are gonna be touched. But here it's really up to you.

Unfortunately, Dark Angels assault squad Sgts can't have dual claws (and neither can our Tac Sgts or Dev Sgts)

You can only replace one weapon with a melee weapon.

I've never thought of that; seems a bit odd. Who besides Belial, termies and company veterans can take dual claws?

I think that's it.  It's one of many wargear oddities that I don't really like about our codex.  I can buy an Assault Squad box which comes with a storm shield on the sprue, but I can't put it on the Assault Squad Sgt even though every other flavour of Marine can?

I like either no upgrades except meltabombs and a power sword. I'm really liking assault squads at the moment...including the shot from the pistol and the hammer attack, they get like 50 S4 attacks on the charge for like 27 hits, 13 wounds, and 5 kills against MEQs....A full tactical squad, which costs about the same, answers (assuming a power sword) with fewer than two kills, and one of those comes from the power weapon! With the enemy down 50% of its strength to your ~17%, and with your survivors having twice as many attacks...

/edit/

Fixed the junk!

my assault squad are in a rhino... i want them to be protecting my gunline, even witv the sarg with combi flamer andclaw this comes in at 120pts without the vet sarg upgrade so im actually thnking of dropping the claw completly... 105pts without the claw but packing 3 flamer templates and a lunch box to carry them around isnt bad i find...

my assault squad are in a rhino... i want them to be protecting my gunline, even witv the sarg with combi flamer andclaw this comes in at 120pts without the vet sarg upgrade so im actually thnking of dropping the claw completly... 105pts without the claw but packing 3 flamer templates and a lunch box to carry them around isnt bad i find...

Why only 5 dudes and thus 1 special weapon in a rhino? I'd say either go razorback or 10 guys/2specials or more firepower/ablative wounds.

Why only 5 dudes and thus 1 special weapon in a rhino? I'd say either go razorback or 10 guys/2specials or more firepower/ablative wounds.

Um???

Assualt squads get two special weapons regardless of the size of the squad.  That said...an assault squad with three flamers and only two pistol/sword setups?  Not very assaulty...they won't be counterassaulting much at all.

assaulting no, drive by bbqs yes... maybe il bump it up to a 10man... or like i said above switch to vets and throw in some power weapons... im just pointinng out that for 105pts we can get 3 flamers in a rhino... rather cheap...

Archived