Building my Deathwing Terminators

Hey guys. I've just brought my first edition to my Dark Angels. I wanted to start with a Deathwing Army so I purchased Belial along with 2 Boxes of Terminators.... But I have no idea what to kit them out with?

I was thinking 1 unit of 5 with a cyclone, and 1 with an assault cannon?... But then do i give them CC weapons?.... Any help or advice on what to give them would be really appreciated!

if you're going to focus on a Deathwing army, your number of models will be limited and as you rightly point out... what to gear them with?

As such, before you start glueing stuff or making up your mind I suggest you look into finding a source to get rare earth magnets (lots of threads about magnetising arm options on this forum). It will allow you to get the most out of your boxes since there are A LOT of options in there (assuming you got the Deathwing boxes, I guess it's the new marketing scheme GW has come up with, 'buy this box, you can make 3 units with it but only enough to actually make 1 - off course you pay more than you would for 1 though').

The beauty and one of unique aspects of Deathwing squads is that they allow A LOT of customization within squads, you can mix/match CC weapons with the standard SB/PF etc. and build a list more specifically designed against certain enemies.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I know magnetising the arms would be the best option but unfortunately I don't have the magnets nor the time as an upcoming game against Tau is in view.

I was thinking of going with an assault cannon, for the rending on the vehicles, a chain fist, a normal SB and PF, then 2 TH and SS to take the high AP shots.. Or is that wasting the use of vengeful strike? Would I be best off with an assault terminator squad?

in that case, don't use plastic glue to put them on. A tiny drop of super glue and you should be able to snap them off when you do have the time.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to let someone else answer the 'best makeup' for your squads, I don't actually play the game. Though I wouldn't give up too many shots by taking a full cc geared squad. The assault cannon is always a good choice imo, if I remember most Tau have 4+ armor right? So that should take quite a few casualties aswell as give you some chances of taking down vehicles if you need to.

Having played pure Deathwing for the past couple of months, I can confidently say that it is not easy.

It is, however, very rewarding, and even the blowouts you lose are fun. Be prepared for your game to go downhill once you have a short streak of bad luck though!

Assault terminator squads are kind of meh when you're not launching them off of the assault ramp of a land raider. I would recommend 2 TH/SS per squad, if you have the points, for precisely the plasma-eating that you mentioned, but remember that you need to always keep the storm shield models closest to the AP2 shooting. The enemy will counter that by shooting non-AP stuff first to try to kill the storm shield models, and then switch to AP2 shooting...or else I'd say just take one SS.

If you're attaching belial to one of the squads, give that one a heavy flamer...on DWA, you won't scatter, so the flame template goes PRECISELY where you want it...and it's twinlinked! Not bad, eh? Fry, tau, fry!

For the other one...it's a tough call. The CML is really the best all-rounder...but when DSing...the AC gets more value out of the twinlinking, and it's not that much less awesome than a CML the rest of the time...especially when you're DSing, since the 24" range is no longer a problem. The only really bad choice you can make these days is lightning claws.

Archived