Sternguards!

Alyssis

I initially bought them for the combi weapons, but after reading some more on the different kinds of ammo, i must admit, they do look very sweet as well..! I do wonder tho, how you manage to keep your rhino alive.. Mine ususally dies before turn, or within turn 2..!

My thoughts where to have to fragioso dreads in drop pods in turn 1, and then drop pod 10 sterns, or 9 + a libby in turn 2, at some place where i might be able to protect them a little!

The mail hasnt been as good as i hoped tho, so i still havent gotten em yet.. :/

General consensus is to max out on combi weapons.

ACK!!  ><;

Not mine!!!! 

Im of the belief that you're paying 25 points a model for 2 things. 1 = a vet statline and 2 = special issue ammo.

The Stern's ability doesn't only lie in its alpha strike ability but in the versatility of the ammo. Pumping the model cost up to 30 for 1 use of special weapon seems like a poor use of points.  

Id rather use a squad of 8-10 with 2MG,1PG combi max.  The rest as usual.  Rhinos are actually great too- that way you can get a libby in there and use the Div powers from turn one. 

Absolutely bumping for great justice. You are already paying for Special Issue ammo. There are other, better and cheaper places to get Special Weapons. A few Combimeltas (4 MAX) to help pop a Tank on the drop is the only thing I'd ever do to them. I might consider 2x Heavy Flamer in lieu of 4x CM, if running 10-man and I would want to amp the infantry-damage to obscene levels.

Thanks alyssis,

I used meph red base, evil sunz coat, carraboo crimson or whatever, then layer of evil sunz on armour, and a thin highlight or troll slayer orange on the tips. You can tie in with bloodletter glaze if you wish.

I like mine with an orange tinge on them, always liked the 'blood angel orange' colour since I was 9 lol

I'm hoping my painting skills have gotten better since then :-)

As they ruined crons the other day, il be putting some bits on their un-finished bases!!

I just thought of something rude to do with them. How about 3 full 10-man squads in pods (gotta get 2 more pods with something), 5 in each unit armed with c-melta and 5 with c-plasma combat squadding out and just ruining 6 units turn one. You'll at the very least, kill 3 tanks and nearly wipe out 3 full MEQ squads in a single alpha strike........omg i think i just soiled my underoos.

The opponent will have very little left in terms of countering with all the depleted squads. Heck, have 9 guys in each pod and a priest accompanying them and then all 30 models get FNP

I like it! Alot.. Sounds like fun.. Im already thinking of having 10 of them with meltas, or 9 with plasma and a libby for rerolls, just to take out my grey knight buddys paladin squad and his warlord on turn one..! He always uses 5 paladins and a libby in terminator armour, all very deadly to me.. But 18 plasma shots, with rerolls to hit, or 10 melta shots might hurt him alot..

Add another furioso dread with frag cannon and heavy flamer the first turn to take out one of his purifier squads, and he proberbly looses alot of his happyness that very first turn..!

How about 3 full 10-man squads in pods... 5 in each unit armed with c-melta and 5 with c-plasma combat squadding out and just ruining 6 units turn one....Heck, have 9 guys in each pod and a priest accompanying them and then all 30 models get FNP

The Sternguard are Elites so you cannot take any Priests, you are using all 3 FOC slots.

Also, if you are going this route then you should probably take Pedro Kantor as Allies with another Sternguard in Drop Pod. Then you've got 40 Sternguard, combat-squadded, and they all score.

Of course, a good Light Infantry screen will completely shut you down but hey, rockpaperscissors is unavoidable.

Example: Tycho, Kantor, 40 Sternguard w/36 combis, 2x5 ASM w/1 MG, 10 Tacs w/PG, 7 Pods

2000pts.

General consensus is to max out on combi weapons.

ACK!!  ><;

*snip*

Very true. I was only really thinking from the alpha strike perspective/podding. Do you set them up as line infantry, or pod them in to take on a high priority infantry unit?

How about 3 full 10-man squads in pods... 5 in each unit armed with c-melta and 5 with c-plasma combat squadding out and just ruining 6 units turn one....Heck, have 9 guys in each pod and a priest accompanying them and then all 30 models get FNP

The Sternguard are Elites so you cannot take any Priests, you are using all 3 FOC slots.

Also, if you are going this route then you should probably take Pedro Kantor as Allies with another Sternguard in Drop Pod. Then you've got 40 Sternguard, combat-squadded, and they all score.

Of course, a good Light Infantry screen will completely shut you down but hey, rockpaperscissors is unavoidable.

Example: Tycho, Kantor, 40 Sternguard w/36 combis, 2x5 ASM w/1 MG, 10 Tacs w/PG, 7 Pods

2000pts.

This is horrifying and I love it.

2000pts.

Remember you need space for Tycho in a pod. Dropping 1SG lets you get 2 more combis and a plasma gun on one ASM squad.

EDIT:

NVM, forgot the ASM were in pods.

2000pts.

Remember you need space for Tycho in a pod. Dropping 1SG lets you get 2 more combis and a plasma gun on one ASM squad.

EDIT:

NVM, forgot the ASM were in pods.

I wouldn't run Tycho anyway... you've already got Ld9 for the majority of your squads, the C:SM one is Stubborn, and Tycho's not enough of a CC beast to make up for the cost difference.  Libby w/ TDA+SS would work better IMO.

Archived