Adepticon Battle Reports...

Brother Landrain

Adepticon Sector Battle Reports....

While on Patrol in the Adepticon Sector, Ravenwing Strike Force Young-1850, was being led by Master Sammael himself. Strike Force Young-1850 is a Fast moving combined arms force....

Strike Force Young-1850

HQ.gif

Master Sammael on Corvex

Librarian Ariel on Bike, MB, Divination

Master Techmarine Stephenson on Bike with Servo-Harness

Techmarine Tomas with PFG

Ravenwing Command Squad Alpha
: Banner of Fortitude
: Champion of the Young, Durien
: Apothecary Davanzo

Troops.gif

Ravenwing Attack Squad Romeo - Sgt w/Melta, 2x Melta Gun, MMAB

Ravenwing Attack Squad Bravo - Sgt w/Melta, 2x Melta Gun, MMAB

Scout Squad Gulf - with Sniper Rifles

HS.gif

Devastation Squad Victor - with 4x PC

Elite.gif

Ancient Hunter Gavriel - Rifleman Dreadnought

Ancient Hunter Lorien - Rifleman Dreadnought

Aegis Defense Network and Quad Gun.

Engagement:1 Where Blood will soon be shed...

.Setup
... Dawn of War
.Primary Objectives
... Victory Points
... Objective Markers

While on Patrol, a Necro incursion force was sighted... Led by Overlord Marcus Abraitus...

Warriors in Ghost Ark
Warriors in Ghost Ark
Warriors in Night Scythe
Immortals in Night Scythe
Canoptek Wraiths
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Overlord
Overlord

Setup:

I was able to gain the initiative, and placed my Aegis line in the Center of the board with good shooting lanes. The Devastation Squad, as well as the Ancient Hunters and their Techmarine Formed a firebase behind the protection of the defense line. The Ravenwing Deployed in a spearhead formation on the Right Flank of the Aegis. While the Scouts split up and took over watch positions in some buildings.
The Enemy came in a close formation Entirely on the Far right flank behind some sparse cover.

Round 1:

Ravenwing advanced through some cover attempting to close within range of the enemy skimmers. While the Scouts fired upon the Wraiths. No Damage was done.

The Enemy Returned fire with a tremendous display of firepower from his skimmers, Causing only minor casualties.

Round 2:

Ravenwing Advanced further, firing upon the Skimmers, only to discover that the Xenos Technology made most of their weapons useless at range. The scouts caused only a minor wound to the Wraiths, while the Devs and Ancients barely scratched a Skimmer.

Another furious barrage of fire at the Ravenwing from the Skimmers, saw a few Riders fall in battle. The Nights Scythes arrived on this turn from the Left flank.

Round 3:

Ravenwing Spread out in a line attempting to gun down a Night Scythe, while closing in to plasma range. Another mostly futile shooting Round, saw a single wraith die, and one Night Scythe Disintegrate into a ball of melta.

The Overlord, disembarked and charged the Command Squad led by Sammael, challenging him to a duel. The rest of the squad watched the combat. As more furious tesla saw more damage to the Ravenwing bikers, and the wraiths closed to within charge range of the scouts on the Right flank.

Round 4:

The Duel continued... More useless shooting by the Goodguys, and more barrages by the evil Necrons. The Wraiths charged the Scouts who put up a valiant defense. The remaining Night Scythe Disembarked the Immortals at close range to the Defense Line and shot the Devs behind their line of defense. Several fell. Sammael and command squad made a tactical withdrawl from the duel.

Round 5:

Ravenwing, Scouts and Devs blasted the immortals, and the Ancients knocked the Scythe from the Sky. The Ravenwing Charged the few remaining immortals. The Remaining command squad and a RW Attack squad shot and charged the wraiths who had killed all of the scouts on the right flank. While a Ghost ark rushed forward, disembarking troops to try to take one of the Objectives previously held by the Scouts.

Round 6: --- Game Over...

Victory Points - Necrons 7, Dark Angels 4
Objectives - Necros 3, Dark Angels 1
Slay Warlord - Necrons
Linebreaker - Necrons
Firstblood - Necrons

A terrible start to the days battles. A Crushing Defeat, and 0 Honor, 0 Objectives.

After Action Report:

The first thing that upset me was when we exchanged Army Lists. I use Army Builder, and while I know everyone does not, this opponent did. However, when I give my opponent my list, I give them always the full Army list, wargear, stats, special rules, the entire print out, usually 3-4 pages of data explaining wargear and special rules.... I got barely a 1/2 page of an army list in return. What I have in the past found, is that when this happens, its usually because someone wants to have 'surprise' or 'gotcha' moments in a game. And it sure did happen to me here.

First Error: Being unfamiliar with Necrons. There is a very small player base where I live, I drive an hour to any store than even has tables to play at. And having played necrons a total of 1 time previous, I was not ready for Quantum Shielding. Seeing AV 11, I was not expecting AV 13. Yes, my rookie error, but It really made a huge difference in the game. And I felt I was kind of set up by the way the army list was given.

Second error: was forgetting to Hit and Run from combat the first round after his overlord charged. I will make this error a few times during the day.

Third error: I realize now, with the setup of my RWCS, RWAS, I should have charged his skimmers. I would have had a much easier time Penetrating the Barges using melta grenades and melta guns at close range, instead of trying to glance them all to death.

Fourth Error: In List building, I debated back and forth between Devs with Lascannons, and Devs with Plasma Cannons, As well as an Icarus vs a Quad Gun. With Two Rifleman Dreads, the Quad Gun really ended up being overkill. Yes the Skyfire is nice, but Two Twin-linked Riflemans is sufficient for 2-3 fliers. The Icarus, and Lascannons would have helped greatly with AV 13, and all I would have lost is a MB on my Librarian...

Final Note: Being that 7 of the top 16 lists were Triple Annihilation Barge Necrons, with either Allies or Solo, the Lascannons do seem a better choice. As of right now, it appears that the Necrons are the List to beat.

Engagement:2 Wolves Beyond the Border...

.Setup
... Hammer and Anvil
.Primary Objectives
... The Emperor's Will
... The Scouring

Strike Force Young-1850 is sent to secure and defend a strategic location in the Adepticon Sector.  As the Strike Force solidifies their location, a horde of Tyranids... led by Swarm Lordess Cheryl Kucharski... attacks the Strike Forces Location...

Swarmlord
: 3x Tyrant Guard
Tervigon #1
Tervigon #2
Tervigon #3
Termagaunt Unit
Termagaunt Unit
Hive Guard
Hive Guard
Mawloc

Yes, Its a bug hunt...

Setup:

The Tyranids gained the initiative, and set up behind a bunker complex, with terrain flanking the complex. The Bunker complex completely blocks my line of sight to the central army. My Forces deply in a center gunline formation. With Ancients and Devs behind the Aegis Gunline, and my Ravenwing Forces Spread formation Directly in front of the formation. My scouts were able to secure cover in a forest and an abandoned building on my right flank.

Round 1:

The Enemy Tryanids rush forward, casting psychic powers back and forth amongst the Mostrous Bugs arrayed against me. One of the Largest Bugs, burrows deep into the ground and out of sight. While Six of the medium sized bugs rush into the bunker complex and completely out of sight. While watching the frantic movements... Three of the larger bugs spew forth even more of the small and quick moving bugs. The enemy force has almost doubled in sheer numbers. Suddenly from the Bunker complex a rain of bio-weapon projectiles shoot forth, shattering thru the walls and falling amongst my massed forces. Fortunately no damage is done.

On my turn I move my forces ever so slowly closer, using caution, and the long range firepower of my RW Bikers, I fire forth volleys of bolter shots at the enemy hordes. Several units of Termagaunts are rent assunder by the power of the holy bolter. While Snipers and Plasma finish of the few remaining from the bolter fussilade. The Hunters and Quad Gunner focus fire on one of the larger Bugs, wounding it severly.

Round 2:

More Bugs Rush forward, Even more new bugs are birthed from the Large Monstrous creatures, and many more psychic spells are seen being cast. Another volley of fire comes from somewhere within the Bunker complex, but we are unable to determine the source.

Maintaining optimal Range, The Bike squads manuver so as to unleash even more holy bolter fire upon the bugs. Several more units of bugs are obliterated by the firepower of the Ravenwing. One of the Monstrous Bugs falls to the combined firepower of the Ancient Hunters and the Devs. With the massed firepower of the Ravenwing, we have been able to maintain our range to the enemy at maximum optimal range, even though the enemy is rushing forward at its fastest speed.

Round 3:

It appears that the Bugs, are acting under some instinctual behavior and continue to Rush forward and birth more bugs at a prodigious Rate... Another volley of bio-projectiles falls amongst the Strikeforce, this time killing a few battle brothers. Suddenly the Ground underneath the Ancient Hunters and Devs begins to shudder and shake, and a Huge Bug burst forth from the ground, ready to strike behind the lines...

The Ancient Hunters, Devs, and the Command Squad turn to face this enemy bursting within our lines, Firing volley after volley of plasma, bolter, and autocannon fire into the Mostrous Beast. Finally after a Charge from Sammael, the Fell beast is slain and falls limp to the ground, its massive bulk, shuddering and spewing forth noxious bodilly fluids... One of the attack Bikes charges in from the flank and fires melta into one of the Birthers, while scouts continue to fire at the fell beast. It is gravely wounded but still stands. The Ravenwing are able to obliterate yet another unit of Termagaunts, and take down another of the Birthers.

Round 4:

For some reason, the Birther that had been melta'd stopped spewing forth bugs. Perhaps melta disrupts their reproductive systems? It charges the attack bike, and swallows it whole, the screams of the Bikers can be heard over comms long after they dissapear down the gullet of the massive beast. The Swarmlord emerges from cover and begins a headlong rush towards the Ravenwing lines. While ever more bio-mass is ejected from the bunker complex killing yet another battle brother. Word is sent out, that we must stop that fire, even if we need to charge that bunker complex on foot.

The Ancient hunters, and Devs focus upon the enemy swarmlord, Mortally wounding it. While The Ravenwing Spread out in a wide arc, at optimal plasma Range, and unleash more death upon the charging Bugs. Another of the Birthers falls. Leaving a Single Birther, and several squads of smaller bugs, as well as the bugs hidden in the bunker complex.

Round 5:

Bugs all rush forward, but are unable to engage in close combat with the Ravenwing. Another volley of fire from within the bunker complex...

The Ravenwing Swoop forward, unleashing another fussilade of holy bolter fire, laying waste to several more bug units, and charge in close to the bunker complex. The last Birther Bug is felled by massed sniper and Ancient hunter firepower.

Round 6:

The remaining bugs hidden in the bunker complex unleash ever more fire upon the Ravenwing, while large strange bugs, cast psychic powers. The Ravenwing sustain light casualties.

Charging forward the Ravenwing finally are able to see the bugs that have been firing upon them the whole encounter, and unleash a devastating barrage at the enemy bugs. The last of the enemy bugs flees from the encounter.

--Game Over--

The Emperor's Will - Dark Angels 2, Tyranids 0
The Scouring - Dark Angels 14, Tyranids 0
Slay Warlord - Dark Angels
Linebreaker - Dark Angels
Firstblood - Dark Angels

A Great Rebound after the first battle. A Crushing Victory, and 10 Battle Points 26 Honor, 2 Primary Objectives, 3 Secondary Objectives.

After Action Report: 

This one went exactly the way it was planned. Ravenwing were able to stay at optimal range to gain benefit of the Standard of Devastation, and outside of enemy charge range. With the enhanced firepower we were able to destroy enemy units faster than the Tervigons could replenish them. As the Tervigons fell and  stopped making more Termagaunts the tide of the battle inevitably turned strongly in favor of the Dark Angels. The enemy psykers really had very little effect on the overall battle. The Hive Guard with ignores LOS were a pain, being hunkered down completely out of sight, but then that made my target priority easier, as the bugs were funneled through basically two choke points allowing me to mow them down as they came to me. Superior Range, Superior firepower won the day.

Engagement:3 At Dawn with Victorious Weapons...

.Setup
... Vanguard Strike
.Primary Objectives
... The Relic
... Objective markers

While attempting to retrieve a Relic of importance, Strike Force Young-1850 encounters a band of Heretics... led by Daemon Prince Riley Maxwell...

Daemon Prince - Wings, Khorne
Chaos Marines in Rhino
Chaos Marines
Chaos Marines in Rhino
Chaos Cultists
Chaos Terminators
MaulerFiend
MaulerFiend
Predator
Helldrake
Chaos Bikers

Setup:

The Relic was lost in an urban enviornment, The Dark Angels setup in an area near the town square, with large areas of open space around them. Thus making the heretics cross open ground to get to them. The Scouts setup atop a couple of multi-story ruins, with a large field of fire and strong cover. Prior to battle the techmarines bolstered both locations, giving the scouts 2+ cover saves.

Round 1:
Chaos Shoots to little effect against the Ravenwing, while Chaos Disembarks from one of the Rhinos. The Maulers and Terminators advance, while the Daemon Prince gois flying forward.The Cultists mill about their objective seemingly oblivious to the action, while the predator fires to no effect.

The Ravenwing strike back, concentrating fire with all of the bike squads against the enemy bikers on the far flank. Doing significant damage to the Chaos Bikers. The Ancients and Devs concentrate fire upon the Maulerfiends hoping to keep them from making it to the Aegis Line. Scouts meanwhile fire upon the advancing marines on foot on the near flank, and the bikers on the far flank.

Round 2:

Chaos advances, doesn't it always? There is no retreat for Chaos they must be purged. The remaining Maulerfiend Charges one of the ancients, while everyone else advances and fires. A few Scouts and bikers are wounded, along with some devastator support troopers.

The Air defenses fire at the Daemon Prince dropping him to the ground. A Rhino is blown to pieces and several Chaos Marines do not survive the blast. One maulerfiend also succumbs to wounds from the Ancient hunters. The Remaining chaos bikers are again shot at by the Ravenwing, which also splits fire to the Chaos Marines on foot. The Devs fire at the Marines hunkered down in the crater that used to be their rhino. While an Attack Bike races in to fire at the grounded daemon prince. Scouts maintain their harrasment fire.

Round 3:

The Helldrake Arives, Roasting several Ravenwing. While the Predator, and Chaos Marines kill a few more Devs. The Other unit of Devs kills an attack bike through the open door ruins, and moves closer to their objective. One Ancient Falls to a Maulerfiend.

The Ravenwing finally wipe out the Chaos Bikers, while killing some more Chaos Marines. the Terminators take a beating from the Plasma Cannons, and the Plasma talons of the Command Squad, but keep comming. The Daemon Prince drops to sustained gunfire from the quad gun, and attack bike. While the command squad charges the Terminators, killing another one.

Round 4:

The Helldrake roasts some more marines before leaving the area of play. The cultists are awakened by the zooming attack bike and fire a fusilade of shots at it... missing horribly. The Marines at the near objective enter the ruins while taking harrasing fire from the scouts stationed atop the massive structure. The Marines that were blown up in their rhino fire upon the Devs, and then move back into cover. While the last remaining Chaos Biker dies charging the Raven Wing command squad. The Far Chaos Marines, seem to finally notice the Scouts on the rooftop near them and move to enter the ruin and engage.

The remaining attack Bike races onto the battlefield, Stunning the predator from behind. The remaining Devs pour close ranged firepower into the maulerfiend damaging it, but not killing. The Ravenwing are able to get some shots off at the Helldrake to no avail, when the Quad Gun, Penetrates the Helldrake from behind locking its velocity. The Terminators are again shot and charged by the Command Squad, finally falling to them.

Round 5:
The Marines Kill the Scouts at the Far objective, they die valiantly. The Chaos Marines near the Relic consolidate their position in cover. The Marines by the near objective considate on the first floor of the ruin, firing up at the scouts to no effect. The predator fires at the Attack bike, missing, as do the Cultists. At this point, Chaos controls three of four primary objectives, but not the Relic.

The Ravenwing command Squad, Shoots at the marines in the Ruins on the far flank, while racing up onto the Objective. The Remaining Ravenwing Bikers consolidate upon the Relic within their deployment zone. the Attack bike Shoots the Chaos Cultists and Races up to engage the Relic in Chaos's Deployment zone. While The scouts atop the Ruins on the Near side, Drop down to within Range of the near objective. Finally Sammael Races forward on Corvex and claims the Relic.

Round 6: --Game Over--

The Relic - Dark Angels
Objectives - Dark Angels 1, Chaos 0
Slay Warlord - Dark Angels
Linebreaker - Dark Angels
Firstblood - Dark Angels

Another resounding Victory. A Crushing Victory, and 20 Battle Points 52 Honor, 2 Primary Objectives, 3 Secondary Objectives.

After Action Report:

This one was a lot closer than the final result would appear to be. Using the superior mobility, I took a chance and challenged three of the objectives on turn 5. While the command Squad would be ok in a fight with the remaining marines, the scouts would have been outnumbered and out classed by the Chaos Marines at the other objective. I am not sure how the attack bike would have fared against the cultists in combat, but they had been depleted some from the shooting. This allowed me to contest all three objectives that Chaos had held the turn before. And Chaos made the biggest mistake when it took cover by the Relic. Thinking that as long as he was within 3" he would contest. However, Sammael was able to move into Base contact and claim the Relic outright.

Overall, The helldrake was as nasty as advertised. He probably killed more points than the rest of the Army combined. The DP with only 4 wounds and Toughness 5 was no match for a Quad Gun, and Two Rifleman. The basic RW startegy of Maintain optimal Range until time to rush forward worked well again for me.

The Last battle of the day...

Engagement 4: The Moon of Skulls... Appropriately named, as by this time it is getting very late.

.Setup
... Dawn of War
.Primary Objectives
... Victory Points (heavy Metal)
... Objective Markers

Critical tech has been compromised, while racing to secure this tech, Strike Force Young-1850 runs into another Bug Swarm... Led by Hive Tyrant Henry Kim...

Yes, Another Bug Hunt...

Hive Tyrant - Wings
Hive Tyrant - Wings
Doom in a Spore
Hive Guard
Tervigon
Tervigon
Termagaunts
Termagaunts
Gargoyles
Trygon Prime

Setup:

Ravenwing setup their defense Line on the left side of the deployment zone, with good fields of fire out to maximum range. Scouts setup in cover on small hills giving them clear line of sight into the enemy defense network, as well as the cover behind the tall ruins. Ravenwing Bike units setup behind cover in a spearhead formation.

The Swarm setup Second, placed hideous bio defense lines around a pair of Birthers. The Hive Guard setup also in the Defense network. While Termagaunts began cowering in cover. Hive Tyrants start behind a tall ruin on the far side. All of his troops are contained on the far left side of his deployment field.

Round 1:

Ravenwing Sieze the initiative! Advancing forward the Ravenwing are given the ability to ignore cover from Librarian Ariel. A fusillade of Twin-Linked bolters later, another Termagaunt unit is obliterated. Scouts and Long range fire support fire on the Birthers, doing minor damage. Another RW squad fires upon the Hive Guard killing one.

Birthers spew forth more bugs. Bugs advance, while hive guard fire on the Ravenwing. The Tyrants go flying High into the night sky. While a Massive Bug digs deep and burrows into the ground. Little damage is caused to the Ravenwing.

Round 2:

Another barrage of bolter and plasma fire at the bugs behind the defenses. Killing another unit and many parts of a third. A few more wounds are made upon the Birthers. Scouts maintain harrasment fire upon a squad of termagaunts.

The Tyrants race forward, one is blasted from the sky by the quad gun. It lands with a crash.It is dropped to one wound. More Bugs spew from the Birthing sacs, as bugs race forward. Another barrage of bio-projectiles land on the Ravenwing,causing light casualties.

Round 3:

Again the Ravenwing fire upon the swarm headed towards them, killing many more bugs. The Devs and Ancients lay fire into a Tyrant Killing one.

Yet more bugs are created by the hideous Birth monsters, they must be stopped! Smaller Bugs advance while,  yet more bio-fire rains down. One of the Tyrants regains wounds from psyker sorcery. This is the second time that it has regained wounds. It should be dead by now! Suddenly underneath the Ravenwing A Spore erupts and a hideous bug emerges. The Doom... In another part of the battle, gargoyles rain down from the sky. The remaining Tyrant is now behind the Ravenwing Defense Lines and is engaging the Ancient Hunters.

Round 4:

The Doom is causing all kinds of havoc among the Ravenwing. Their shooting is compromised, they seem confused. Need to try to disengage. Command Squad and other Ravenwing maintain fire against the enemy swarm, critically wounding a Birther, and more Hive Guard. Devs blast away at the Tyrant behind their lines, While other blast the gargoyles.

The Trygon bursts through the ground behind the RW command squad, while the Doom plays more havoc with the minds of the Ravenwing. Remaining Hive Tyrant shoots to destroy the Quad Gun emplacement, Destroying it.

Round 5:

RWCS and RW squad shoot and charge Trygon Prime, Killing it. RWAS and scouts shoot and Kill Prime. Last of Gargoyles die to bolter fire, while the Devs put another wound on the Hive Tyrant.

Bugs rush out of their defense network trying to get withing charge range of the Ravenwing. Other bugs move deeper into cover while killing the last attack bike.

Round 6:

Scouts and Ravenwing try to move up and contest the objectives while shooting away. Sammael Zooms to the far corner looking to gain the linebreaker objective.

Bugs charge some contesting units, wiping them out. Sammael dies to massed fire from bug units that barely made range.

--Game Over--

Victory Points - Dark Angels 10, Tyranids 6
Objectives - Tyranids 3, Dark Angels 1
Slay Warlord - Dark Angels, Tyranids
Linebreaker - Tyranids
Firstblood - Dark Angels

The final Game ends in a Tactical Draw, and 25 Battle Points 66 Honor, 1 Primary Objectives, 2 Secondary Objectives.

After Action Report:

I spent too much time messing with the Doom. I should have used my mobility to disengage Doom, and reengage the Tyranids from another direction. Also, my attempt on the last turn to race Sammael into the Enemy deployment zone was ill advised. As I was already winning on Secondary objectives. If Instead I would have done a strategic move to get him to safety, I would have achieved a Minor Victory instead. I mistakenly thought I needed Linebreaker. So always count your objectives carefully going into the last turns. This Bug army was a little rougher with Doom and two Flyers, but could easilly have been a Crushing victory if not for a few tactical errors.

I finished 123 of 233, with a 65 overall score. Strictly by Honor Score, I finished tied for 37 with 10 others, with 66 Honor points, and a 2-1-1

Not too shabby! I was also at adepticon, but I did the team tournament and was playing my GKs. About the army list thing, I generally only give my opponent the list portion, and not the special rules. This isn't too cheat my opponent, but rather to save paper when printing and to keep the amount of paper I have with me to a minimum. Your opponent has to answer any questions you have about their armies, and honestly, being a top tier player means knowing all armies through and through.

Archived