Grey Knight "Monster Mash"

IndigoJack

So I did the adepticon team tournament this weekend, and everything went really well up until the last round against a CSM/Daemons team featuring zero heldrakes. In two of my previous games we'd crushed a 4x vendetta list and a double heldrake list with no problem, since I'd spent much of my time before the con preparing to go up against flyer heavy lists. Needless to say, these lists caught me off guard.

List 1

Chaos Lord on bike with black mace, MoN, VotLW, and aura

10 plague marines w/ 2x plasma guns w/ rhino

2x 10man cultists

5x spawn w/ MoN

2x maulerfiends

List 2

Bloodthirster, exalted rewards

2x 10  bloodletters

18 flesh hounds

Flying DP w/ lesser and greater rewards

So this list pretty much hit like a ton of bricks, and my GKs have never really faced such a fast list. Now, the point of this topic isn't how to bring defeat it, as I've already realized what I could do different (better rhino wall, bubble wrap more effectively, etc). I would like to try an exercise to recreate this list style featuring NDKs. I believe a moderately competitive list is possible, and here is my attempt:

Coteaz

5x 5man bolter acolytes in psybacks

3x NDKs w/ PT and greatsword

Destroyer Lord w/ mindshacke scarabs

2x 5man warriors in nightscythes

5x wraiths w/ 3x whip coils

total: 1845 pts

So this list has a lot of fast moving, tough to bring down units that can be in your face by turn 2. The rest is scoring units that survive by taking advantage of reserves and a couple nightscythes to hold the air. Haven't done any playtesting yet (too pooped from playing 40k all weekend) but by hiding the NDKs and wraiths in assault and working reserves to my advantage I think this list could work out. It's obviously a rock list and won't work against every opponent (looking at you manticores) but those 4 fast units are going to do a lot of damage (hopefully) before my opponent removes my troops.

Anyone else have any ideas for a GK monster mash list?

The avatar and wraithlord isn't a bad idea. Eldar come out in a little over a month, and they might pull out the superior monster mash. I originally was going to go with a c'tan, but those guys are just too expensive and don't really bring anything to the table.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you, I would replace the greatswords with heavy incinerators.  They make better use of the personal teleporters, allowing you to shunt and still kill stuff. They positively destroy troops, and the CC capabilities of a Dreadknight are already going to overkill a significant portion of their targets.

The problem with that kinda list is you having little staying power. DK's are great, don't get me wrong, but basing a whole list around them is a bad idea. All it takes is a few plasma guns or some AP2 melee and suddenly you're relying on bolter Acolytes in AV11 deathtraps to carry the day. 

Other races have cheaper MC spam, and can support it better (Tyranids would probably be #1, Daemons #2). I prefer bring DK's in a more balanced list, so if you lose them (which you invariably do, they're bullet magnets), its not the end of your nefarious plans. 

Archived