Can Techmarines unlock command squads?

Tiger9gamer

so recently I heard that you can unlock command squads with techmarines. is that actually a thing that can happen? I thought that since they are unlocks themselves and don't actually take up an HQ FOC, they can't unlock a command squad.

so recently I heard that you can unlock command squads with techmarines. is that actually a thing that can happen? I thought that since they are unlocks themselves and don't actually take up an HQ FOC, they can't unlock a command squad.

No, C:DA, pg.95

I assume the intention was for the techmarine to not get a command squad at all, but currently RAW of he is on a bike, you may take him with a ravenwing command squad.

Common sense some times prevails, it did so with the split fire case it seems biggrin.png]

Best not design a list and invest on it, when the scales lean against its use.

Just my 2cs.

EDIT: Also the term RAW is ambiguous here, nowhere it sais its allowed. It sais an HQ. A techmarine is not an HQ, it counts as an HQ, and the entry that he could have been privy to a command squad, he is blatanltly denied access.

Plus all H.Qs that have access to command squads are taking a slot and a warlord trait. Which the techmarine doesnt.

Just because something is not written as not allowed, doesnt mean it is allowed.

I assume the intention was for the techmarine to not get a command squad at all, but currently RAW of he is on a bike, you may take him with a ravenwing command squad.

Common sense some times prevails, it did so with the split fire case it seems :D]

Best not design a list and invest on it, when the scales lean against its use.

Just my 2cs.

EDIT: Also the term RAW is ambiguous here, nowhere it sais its allowed. It sais an HQ. A techmarine is not an HQ, it counts as an HQ, and the entry that he could have been privy to a command squad, he is blatanltly denied access.

Plus all H.Qs that have access to command squads are taking a slot and a warlord trait. Which the techmarine doesnt.

Just because something is not written as not allowed, doesnt mean it is allowed.

I agree with what your saying, it's just that the normal command squad explicitly says a techmarine can't take one while the RWCS makes no restriction. I'm fairly certain he isn't supposed to get oe at all and I would never make one, but I wouldn't tell my opponent he can't.

A techmarine is not an HQ, it counts as an HQ, and the entry that he could have been privy to a command squad, he is blatanltly denied access.

Then why regular Command Squad clearly states that it's not unlocked by techmarine?

Why all Command Squads clearly state they are not unlocked by other Command Squads (as Techmarine, they are "not-quite-HQ").

If those not-quite-HQ units are automatically excluded from unlocking Command Squads, why the exceptions?

Not to mention that Servitors are not on exception list...

Don't get me wrong - I believe only "full-HQ" models should unlock Command Squads. Unfortunately, with the way the rules are currently written, one could make perfectly valid argument for bike techmarine unlocking RW Command Squad.

Upon reading the rules I believe techmarine can unlock RW command squad.

Techmarine needs another HQ to be unlocked. Then despite not counting towards FOC he is an HQ option, if you mount him on bike he fulfils every requiste demanded by the RW command squad. Fluffwise of course it's an aberration.

Aberration? Then think of another option:

- I take Belial, he unlocks both regular and DW Command squad, as well as Techmarine,

- I take Techmarine on bike, he unlocks RW command squad as well as servitors.

- I take servitors, adn guess what? They unlock another regular Command Squad. ;-)

This way I have Belial, Techmarine, Servitors, two regular, one DW and one RW Command squad - all using single HQ slot. Now THAT'S abberation. :)

I mention aberration, fluffwise... where someone not privy to the secrets gwt his own super duper fallen hunting bodyguard just due to the fact he has a bike.

The fact of all those unlocking is also odd, but it's written that you can do it... While aberrant it's also a huge chunk of points if you chose to do it, so it will balance out gamewise. It's not a game-breaking despite it's uglyness.Maybe it gets FAQ'ed at some point.

Really now? A servitor?

Why its not written that they cant? Guys seriously now?

The only things I can think of about for answers are either you have no experience with how  GW is penning down books (which I am kinda sure it doesnt stand) or that you are on purpose abusing the RAW (which I really, really dont want to believe) for a really small gain. As Lucifer said you really are gimping yourselves.

Anyway since, I have been on the older thread about this and the apothecary matter and I know where this is gonna lead, I am not going to beat a dead horse.

If they ever decide to pen something right for a second time we might get our answer.

I mention aberration, fluffwise... where someone not privy to the secrets gwt his own super duper fallen hunting bodyguard just due to the fact he has a bike.

How about for that exact reason?

Perhaps you could say he gets a RWCS to keep an eye on him and shield him from things he shouldn't see? Which being on a bike on his lonesome he might?

DM

Archived