Returning Blood Angles Player, HELP?!

BAHERSH

Hey fellow brothers,

I haven't played Warhammer since 3rd edition, and recently got back into it. Although I used to field BA's 10 years ago, a lot has changed, and I forget many of the rules. I am working towards a 1500 pt army that can play in casual games, as well as tournaments (down the road). Here's my list so far:

HQ: Librarian - Jump Pack, Force Axe - 125pts

Elites 1: Sanguinary Priest x 1 - Jump Packs, Power Fist, Melta Bombs - 105pts

Elites 2: Sternguard Veterans x 8 - 2 Plasma Cannons, Rhino Transport - 270pts

Troops 1: Assault Marines x 10 - Sergeant w/ Power Sword, Melta Bombs, 2 Melta Guns - 230pts

Troops 2 : Assault Marines x 10 - Sergeant w/ Power Sword, Melta Bombs, 2 Melta Guns - 230pts

Troops 3: Death Company x 7 - Jump Packs, 2 Power Swords, 1 Power Axe, 1 Thunder Hammer - 320pts

Fast Attack 1: Attack Bikes x 2 - 2 Multi Meltas - 100pts

Fast Attack 2: Attack Bikes x 3 - 3 Heavy Bolters - 120pts

Total: 1500pts

My three main questions are:

(1) Do I have enough firepower to support my troops? Obviously it's a very mobile squad, but there are very few long range weapons. I'm hoping that my 2 multi melta bikes/ 4 melta guns can take out vehicles, 3 heavy bolter bikes can provide infantry cover fire, and sternguards can support against everything else while I move to an assault position.

(2) What psychic powers should I take with my librarian? I was thinking Shield of Sanguinius to give my AM1 and DC a 5+ cover save while I move up, but am unsure if this is worthy, and am debating the second power.

(3) Is this list balanced enough to perform in tournament style play, or will I just get wrecked with a fairly heavy based assault mentality.

Glad to be a fellow BA once again. Any thoughts and input is most appreciated.

Here's some quick suggestions, as I'm short on time. I realize that some of your choices for armaments etc. might be due to how your miniatures are modelled, and that not all suggstions below are feasible.

* Sanguinary priest probably doesn't need both melta bombs and power fist. I would go for power axe and melta bombs, or just a power fist.

* For the sternguards, I'm not so sure about the plasma cannons. Most people use them with combiweapons or heavy flamers, and it feels like you might not get the most out of the squad as it sits.

* For the deathcompany, you can perhaps do with a smaller amount of powerweapons. Perhaps make do with one less power sword? Look for threads about DC optimum loadout.

* Attack bikes w/ multi-melta is solid. With bolters, I don't know.

* The most poular choice for phychic powers is usually to exchange for rulebook power "precsience".

* You're lacking something to deal with flyers.

Will it work in a tournament? Probably not. That aside I think you have an interesting and entertaining list that I would love to play against in a friendly game.

Thanks for the feedback Atrix!

I agree about the sang priest... I had 5 extra pts and wasn't really sure what to spend them on. And on second thought, you're right about the extra power sword for the DC.

My argument for the plasma cannons on sternguard, is to take out 2+ armor units, which I don't really have an answer for. I have several answers for vehicles already (multi-meltas, melta guns, melta bombs) and think my AM's and DC can tear through most infantry squads, but terminators would be problematic for any of my units to deal with. Thus, I was going to put them into a fire support position (rather than use them to assault w/ shorter ranged melta-combos/ heavy flamers). But having said that, I think I should def look into plasma-combo weapons.

Yeah, I was also hesitant to use heavy bolter Attack Bikes. Initially, I was thinking of using them as a cover unit (along with the Rhino) for my DC to move up the field. With a 5+ cover save, 3+ armor, Feel No Pain (from the Sang Priest), and toughness 5, I think that they are a cheap shield that can support fire from longer range than the Multi-Melta option.

However, I didn't really think about your last point regarding skimmers (they were underpowered in 3rd edition, and not really seen).

I could drop the 2nd attack bike squad and pick up a squad of devs with 4 rocket launchers for about the same price, and then I would probably drop a DC w/ power weapon to give them a rhino, if that were the case.

So potential 2nd list:

HQ: Librarian - Jump Pack, Force Axe - 125pts

Elites 1: Sanguinary Priest x 1 - Jump Packs, Power Axe, Melta Bombs - 95

Elites 2: Sternguard Veterans x 7 - 2 Plasma Cannons, 5 Combi-Plasmas, Rhino Transport - 270pts

Troops 1: Assault Marines x 10 - Sergeant w/ Power Sword, Melta Bombs, 2 Melta Guns - 230pts

Troops 2 : Assault Marines x 10 - Sergeant w/ Power Sword, Melta Bombs, 2 Melta Guns - 230pts

Troops 3: Death Company x 6 - Jump Packs, 1 Power Sword, 1 Power Axe, 1 Thunder Hammer - 270pts

Fast Attack 1: Attack Bikes x 2 - 2 Multi Meltas - 100pts

Heavy Support 1: Devastator Squad x 5 - 4 Missile Launchers, Rhino Transport - 180pts

Total: 1500pts

Archived