The Viablity of a pure DW army.

[TA]Typher

Three land raiders is tough to cram into 1750 or 1850, but one is just never going to cut it. You need two, and they do need the DW upgrade...and a PFG. AV14 with a 4+ save and the ability to reroll when they go kablooey vastly improves their survivability. Tau can't reliably stop that. I would put belial and an assaulty squad in one, knights in the other, and DWA two squads of tactical terminators. At 1850, you can also afford a PFG prescience bike librarian to hide behind the tanks. Try that.

/edit/

Oh, yeah...and go second on purpose...give him NOTHING except the two boosted crusaders to shoot at for two turns...that's devastating to a shooty army. Then, on the bottom of turn two, DWA the 2x5 tactical termies, unload with your own shooting, drop the assault ramps, and charge. Multicharge, if possible. Us the hulls of the crusaders to block LOS between enemy units with AP2 interceptor shooting and your DWAers.

New FAQ says the PFG does not effect the transport vehicle.

Three land raiders is tough to cram into 1750 or 1850, but one is just never going to cut it. You need two, and they do need the DW upgrade...and a PFG. AV14 with a 4+ save and the ability to reroll when they go kablooey vastly improves their survivability. Tau can't reliably stop that. I would put belial and an assaulty squad in one, knights in the other, and DWA two squads of tactical terminators. At 1850, you can also afford a PFG prescience bike librarian to hide behind the tanks. Try that.

/edit/

Oh, yeah...and go second on purpose...give him NOTHING except the two boosted crusaders to shoot at for two turns...that's devastating to a shooty army. Then, on the bottom of turn two, DWA the 2x5 tactical termies, unload with your own shooting, drop the assault ramps, and charge. Multicharge, if possible. Us the hulls of the crusaders to block LOS between enemy units with AP2 interceptor shooting and your DWAers.

I know ;)

/edit/

But if you're on a bike with PFG it does. That's what march10k's new list does. Libby on bike with PFG hiding behind the land raiders :)

Has anyone tried using 2 dark talons as support for an otherwise pure deathwing list?

Go on. . . . :)

I need use belials homer, I always have some form of ravenwing support to get my terminators into position. Belials precision deep striking I use to put him in a position to use his squads heavy flamer on things like non PA command units. Rolling him with knights in a raider negates his precision deep striking and his precision shots on a 5+ so to say deep striking him is short sighted is wrong as the majority of his abilities are most useful when deep striking.

I'm not sure I'd say useful. Precision shot with a storm bolter is ok, but not fantastic or anything that's going to make an opponent sweat about. Spending over 400 pts to put one heavy flamer in position that's situationally useful and easily defended against is not something I'd call useful either. Tactical prediction is pretty dandy and something that can be employed usefully, but I'd say his teleport homer is equally as dandy in a pure DW force. One thing to bear in mind is that you do not HAVE to DWA, you can enter normal reserve and have Belial DWA tun 1 for the best of both worlds.

Has anyone tried using 2 dark talons as support for an otherwise pure deathwing list?

Go on. . . . :)

Well this isnt the army list forum but...

Belial

Termy libby

Dwk

Dw with asscan

Dw with cml

Dw with cml

Lrc mm

D talon x2

Comes to 1830

You would need to start belial and libby in lrc with a dwk. You can reserve all others since flyers dont count against reserves total. Lrc needs to flat out tuirn 1 then everything drops and comes in t2. Technically you can reserve half rounding up i think so you could even have the libby drop with a squad. Even if you get shot up with one talon hopefully you can blind turn 2 protecting your termies. Is this feasible competitively? Probably not, but it may give deathwing a chance.

I'm not sure I'd say useful. Precision shot with a storm bolter is ok, but not fantastic or anything that's going to make an opponent sweat about. Spending over 400 pts to put one heavy flamer in position that's situationally useful and easily defended against is not something I'd call useful either. Tactical prediction is pretty dandy and something that can be employed usefully, but I'd say his teleport homer is equally as dandy in a pure DW force. One thing to bear in mind is that you do not HAVE to DWA, you can enter normal reserve and have Belial DWA tun 1 for the best of both worlds.

Problem is always belial surviving the whole army shooting at him.

Problem is always belial surviving the whole army shooting at him.

Absolutely, and I'm not saying it isn't easy. A DW command squad with an apothecary (or BoF) for FnP or a DWK (for T5 and the 3++ DWKs) can do a bit to help him surivive. Combined with accurate deepstrike to help you stay out of range of the as many scary guns as possible and I think you have chance. I'm going to be doing a lot of playtesting with pure DW this summer and I'll hopefully have a good idea of what did and didn't work for me.

Having a game later against deamons, its one of those games arranged on the fly and we both pretty much will be using the list we used the other day.

So unless anything abrupt happens I will be facing a blood thirster again.

I plan on going fullspeed ahead with the LRC, then deathwing assault the command squad with belial and charge from the other side with the knighs.

If my libby ends up with another bloodthirster kill Ill have to find a way to model that somehow....

I play the same style as you - just for fun - which usually had a 50/50 success ratio.  I have always had a tough time with pure DW armies with mixed squads.  I have played my first few games of 6th and with the new codex, and have learned a lot (also loving the new codex!!!)  In fact I have not lost a game yet - even against some power gamers!

1. Most important thing, 6th edition is very shooty.... I stripped my squads down to SG, 3 SB/PF, 1 B/CF, 1 AC.  These did really well against almost everything.  If you want an assault squad, take DWK, they are better than TH/SS anyday of the week.  AC seem better than CML too, they rend, shoot more, can take out fliers just as well, etc... only thing that harms them is their range.

2. Keep moving... move and shoot.  Asault on your own terms.  Don't march towards the enemies toughest guns. 

3. Don't waste points on banners... if 8-12 PF attacks can't kill something, then 12-16 probably won't either.

4. Don't waste points period... keep it simple so you can have more little soldiers.  Our weakness is numbers, even with our much improved 2+ save (god bless 6th edition).  

5. Transports... something I never used before.  LRC are awesome, keep them bare bones to save points, load them with 5 DWK and a Termy Chappie for some squishy fun.

6. Play 1850... DW shouldn't really be played in games less than that.  But remember that they will have more points for you to deal with too.

7. Have fun - most important thing in 40k IMHO

I have been running Belial, a termy chappie, 5 DWK, a LRC, and several squads of DW.  I have also experimented by adding in RWBK, a DA flyer, and 2 devy squads (2 missiles, 2 HB's).  The mixed list just crushes everything (well, almost, still have problems with nids...).

Good luck!

Archived