Nephilim flying circus

jeremy1391

Has anyone thought of doing a nephilim flying circus? With our cheap troop choices and doing a double force org could this be competitive? I mean the nephilim is probably the most underrated flyer in 40k has anyone done anything crazy like this?

Was actually thinking that running two might be a good idea. I even made up an army list with this very plan in the army list section. Two lascanon shot that pen, have a 2/3 chance to kill an enemy flyer outright due to dual immobilize. Of course i dont own two so id have to proxy but still, if nothing else it will keep your opponent guessing. Youd have to use it in a Sammy or azzy army to free up the fa slots.

Was actually thinking that running two might be a good idea. I even made up an army list with this very plan in the army list section. Two lascanon shot that pen, have a 2/3 chance to kill an enemy flyer outright due to dual immobilize. Of course i dont own two so id have to proxy but still, if nothing else it will keep your opponent guessing. Youd have to use it in a Sammy or azzy army to free up the fa slots.

That seems like a lot of points to kill one enemy flyer, which probably cost much less then just one of our flyers.

I know this isn't the point of the thread but wouldn't a quad-gun be more effective and much, much cheaper?

Immobilizing a flyer doesn't destroy it.

It's extremely over priced for what little it does, and the missiles might as well be Nerf launchers. Though spamming flyers is currently very effective due to so few codices even offering a counter to flyers. Though, to be honest, you may end up with more than a few players who refuse you games in the future. Flyer spam tends to be frowned upon.

Actually, if you check pg 74 brb it says that if a flyer has an immobilized result and then gets penn'ed and gets a second immobilized result you remove two hull points (one for the pen, one for the immobilize x2). No flyer in the game has more than three (except the forge world variety). The nephillim only really struggles vs av 12, and this is a surefire way around that since you can ensure that if the enemy flyer gets hit with the lascan itll probbly be a pen and could be killed in one turn with two pens 2/3 chance. With av 11 its actually pretty decent so it could maybe hurt some scythes. It aint vendetta good but it may actually work. And yes i know that he gets the invul save but somethimes when your opponent doesnt expect something it can give you an advantage.

Actually, if you check pg 74 brb it says that if a flyer has an immobilized result and then gets penn'ed and gets a second immobilized result you remove two hull points (one for the pen, one for the immobilize x2). No flyer in the game has more than three (except the forge world variety). The nephillim only really struggles vs av 12, and this is a surefire way around that since you can ensure that if the enemy flyer gets hit with the lascan itll probbly be a pen and could be killed in one turn with two pens 2/3 chance. With av 11 its actually pretty decent so it could maybe hurt some scythes. It aint vendetta good but it may actually work. And yes i know that he gets the invul save but somethimes when your opponent doesnt expect something it can give you an advantage.

Sorry, misread. I thought you mean a single pen. Still, for its points, you're better off taking an aegis defense line or devastator squad with flakk missiles.

I wouldn't use a 6 nephilim army in friendly games... Would be mainly for triple dragon lists

And the whole point of this army would be anti flyer

2 divination librarians

4 mini tacs with flak missiles

2 sniper scouts with flaks

2 defense lines with quad guns

6 nephilim

About 2k

I feel like you're trying to do a DA version of a vendetta IG list. Unfortunately, a common misconception about vendetta spam is that it's effective because of the 9 lascannons. That's not really true. Those guns aren't turreted, so they getting them to hit what you want them too will be difficult the turn after they arrive. The real strength in vendetta spam (and cronair even more so) is that they're flying transports. Flyers makes them hard to hit, and the transport capacity lets you drop into hover mode turn 5 and take/contest objectives. The transport capacity is the key, and half the reason nephilim spam won't work. The other half is that the nephilim just isn't worth its points.

I'm planning on trying out 2, and most likely dark talons at that. I haven't had much success with the avenger mega bolter, so I guess it's time to give the lascannon a shot.

I think the nephilim loses purpose with its only option. The mega bolter would be great if you swap out the heavy bolter for las. The either or really make a serious points sink of that awesome plane.

To make the nephilim a competitive flyer would only require adding rending to the mega bolter and bringing the missiles in line with those on the storm raven... Then we would have the coolest plane around I'd say. Either way I'm gonna rock two for now and hope for the best I guess.

Honestly, making the HB into an Assault Cannon would jump the Jetfighter up in my book a couple of points. But yeah, now I have to give the old girl another try and see how she does.

IMHO i would trade strafing run For better missiles and better AMB...

missiles range 48" S6 AP4 armourbane and rending AMB would be petfect...

Perfectly appropriate for it to be considered a useful choice at 180.

As it stands, I've used the nephilim twice and it almost did nothing. 2 was only slightly better and I won't be taking them again. The dark talon adds far more of a threat and in an army with riflemen dreadnoughts, anti air is accounted for. That being said if I end up making a list that is about 180 points short of my limit, I will be throwing it in without a second thought. I want it to be good and useful so badly but it just hasn't been for me.

And elphilo, she is still the new girl.

Archived