Icongraphy for Veterans

Molgorain

I run only one ten men CoVet Squad and i put some crux Here and there.

due to the non standard chapter Organization i guessed that the CoVets should have the crux to reflect vet status while DW is,a higher Level of veteranship. And each CoVet has a unique right shoulder pad.

circles within circles.

I always considered company veterans to be basically the best squad of the company. They wouldn't actually hold a different rank or wear special honours. I'll probably just give them the markings of a company's first tactical squad and put slightly more bling on them than I do on normal tactical marines.

It would actually make absolute sence to use, standard tac marine bodies with the appropriate loadout and no bling at all.As has been said according to the discription in the codex they even hate such ornamentation.

I came to regret that I painted my sergeants pauldrons and eagles gold sad.png

Although they are honoured and held in high esteem, it is not always easy for outsiders to pick out the Chapter's honoured Veterans, for it is the nature of the Dark Angels to remain forever stoic and unembellished. Taking after the Company Masters, whom they revere as spititual leaders as well as great tacticians, these Veterans renounce the garish and conspicuous - not for them the gold-encrusted armour of an honour guard or some ostentatious plume to denote to all onlookers their exalted station. Instead, only the keenest eye can perhaps discern a ceremonial robe or catch the odd gleam from some antiquated and honoured wargear gifted to them for their acts of bravery. On the battlefield, however, it is no hard task to mark out the Company Veterans - for they fight as a band of heroes, weapons blazing with precision bursts and foes falling before them like wheat before a scythe.

I always considered company veterans to be basically the best squad of the company. They wouldn't actually hold a different rank or wear special honours. I'll probably just give them the markings of a company's first tactical squad and put slightly more bling on them than I do on normal tactical marines. 

It would actually make absolute sence to use, standard tac marine bodies with the appropriate loadout and no bling at all.As has been said according to the discription in the codex they even hate such ornamentation.

I came to regret that I painted my sergeants pauldrons and eagles gold :(

Haha, I wouln't worry about anyones "keenest eye" noticing a hard to see robe or odd gleam from our wargear or bling supplied on Veteran sprues etc, that paragraph is both contradictory and in conflict with GeeDubs own models and artwork. Just another example of writer disconnecting with reality.

Eh, I am sure he was trying to make the best out of the phrase: THey aint show boys.

Plus I doubt everyone who sees a DA in robes cries: ''Veteran at twelve o' clock!'' (in the 40k world context that is)

The company master model would fit that category/discription well. His 'gleaming' bits would be well hidden by that huge cape. However the helm is too ceramonial not to mark him out.

Contradictions indeed.

The only thing that makes the CoVets stand out are the robes...
o dont use Too much bling on them. The bling i use on the Sgts only...

Nah, I wouldnt bet my money on it.

The discription posted by Stobz can go either way. While the theory that makes most sense (robes for vets), we have never been told specifically what the robes stand for and for who.

You're right, but let me clarify just a little bit:

- Deathwing pad is there for the shape of the winged sword, it will be in standard company colours with the broken sword gs'ed

- Crux - I was thinking of this as a badge of honour, not restricted to termies only, and am I correct, that in the past Comp Vets had an option to take Terminators Honours?

"The Crux Terminatus is a stone medallion awarded to highly skilled and experienced Space Marine Veterans.  All members of a Chapter trained in the use of Terminator Armor will have been first awarded the Crux Terminatus."  - Lexicanum.

You are correct in that, in the past, Veterans would wear crux shoulder pads, but that really only applies to vanilla marines. Veteran marines were marines of the 1st Company, meaning they had been awarded their crux because they actually were trained to use terminator armor.

Seeing as the only Dark Angels who are trained in the use of Terminator Armor are those designated as "Deathwing", Company Veterans and Command Squads would not have been awarded the crux terminatus.  Accordingly, go with other battle and veteran honors, such as the skull, halo, crossed swords, etc.

So crux is out and robes + company markings with a skull are in.

Aaa, it's a hard life for a newbee...

Its a hard life discerning the essoterical meanings of the DA in general. Newbee or not. Much ink has been splilled (or should I say, many keyboards were broken) over discussions for those matters over the years and still we have found no satisfying answer :D

During the 2nd Edition robes were Inner Circle only and just the four special characters had a robed miniature...

In 3rd edition GW introduced robed miniatures for veteran DA too... In those times robes were a DW and IC thing and vet sgt could be upgraded to DW status...

In 4th edition they introduced plastic robed DA and the use was spreaded to regular marine too but without a solid explanation. It was just the rule of cool...

Now in the fluff of the 6th edition codex there is finally the explanation why a regular DA may have a robe too.

Company Veterans are not stable formations but they are made picking up individuals that still are part of their squads.

In this situation the veterans in each squad would be the robed guys and these would be the ones selected to form the CoVets units when needed.

I still like better robes for CoVets, CS and Sgts only but it's acceptable in nowadays fluff to have widespread robes...

I can see your point about the robed guys being the veterans. It makes for a good reason why some DA wear robes, some don't. But then again, robes and tabards are just so cool, it'd be so limiting to only have them on so few models, so I sprinke a few robes and tabards all over (but I do play a DIY successor, so I don't 'challenge' the way it 'should be done' in actual DA). 

In my 40k although all 1st company veterans have received the Crux Terminatus, it can be awarded without also conferring membership of the 1st company. My veteran models simply get whatever looks cool on their right shoulder. Most of my army adheres to rigid squad markings so it's nice to paint a few more individual models too. Some of them have robes and some don't.

Archived