Land Speeder Typhoon: hidden gem?

monkeyman26

Just looking through my new DA dex and I noticed that the LS Typhoon is 15 points cheaper for us than it is for C:SM and we can take squadrons of 5. I used to run 2 in a C:SM list and they were really effective, even at 90 points each. On paper I think they could be one of the best value units in the DA dex.

5x2 missiles is going to mess up most MCs and vehicles (except land raiders), you can use frag and the heavy bolters against hordes and they're also very mobile so can stay outflank to hit side armour. Combine them with our cheap divination librarian and they're even more deadly, they could even be effective anti flyer. Also, with a dark shroud nearby and jink they're going to be more survivable than your opponent expects an av10, hp2 skimmer to be.

Does anyone have experience of multiple LSTs in a game?

In a friendly game, I will run a few with HB and missiles, and maybe a few more with twin HB.  If I want to be a jerk (generally grudge games where both of us are trying to be jerks) I have ran 13 (the max I could get) with HB and missiles.  Nearly a thousabd points, but absolutely devestating.

Their strength is in the fact that they are Fast Skimmers, and cheap. They are still only AV 10, with HP 2. They can be brought down fairly easy if you use them wrong. Best to keep them behind cover (blocked LoS) in the back to midfield, shooting targets of opportunity. Late game, zoom forward to contest objectives (or claim them in the right scenarios!).

Fielding multiple Typhoons in a squadron could be tricky with the Vehicle Squadron rules. Makes me wonder about something- <never mind, I got the Flyer Evade rule confused with the Skimmer Jink rule>. Very interesting that a Fast Skimmer, so long as it moved in the preceding movement phase, has a 5+ Cover Save, and no penalty to shooing in the next round if it Jinks.

I'll have to reconsider this unit now. I'd definitely keep 'em cheap and not spend more than about 200 points total on the squad. 

Late game, zoom forward to contest objectives (or claim them in the right scenarios!).

Sorry to rain on your parade, but as vehicles the can neither be scoring nor denial units.

Unless the roll for mission is the scouring, which states that fast attack units are scoring, even if they are vehicles

True, but this is an exception - in 5/6 of the missions, they can't score, and even in Scouring, they can't deny (unless there is a rule that scoring units are automatically denial units - but I can't find one).

True, but this is an exception - in 5/6 of the missions, they can't score, and even in Scouring, they can't deny (unless there is a rule that scoring units are automatically denial units - but I can't find one).

There is no rule for it. Vehicles are never denial units with one exception; a GK dread with the unyielding anvil grand strategy is both a scoring and denial unit per the FAQ.

I'm trying to make a decision, I want to run a list of 3 typhoons at 1500, and was thinking of running a dark shroud to up their survivability. Would it be worth the 80 points for the DS, or should I just take and extra typhoon?

I played 1 x 5 LS Typhoon/MM (only 1 typhoon allowed with the old codex)...many people sniggered...until they had to bear 5 MMs in their face and could not retaliate assaulting.

Now for 375 points you have one of the most obscene shooting units that can be fielded, extremely resilient by itself and straight out nasty when combined with shroud.

Obviously, at 1850/2000 the 1205 points ( 3 x 5 LS Typhoon/HB + 1 x Shroud) is simply not playable and as all extreme builds suffers from serious hindrance...

But 2x3 or something like that is probably one of the best support units we have.

Again, in the FA slot...sigh...

I must agree that the RSS is one of the best FA choices available.  I usually take Typhoons w/MM rather than ABMM because they seem to be more resilient and more reliable in taking vehicles out quickly.  My ABMM seemed to get in great position and then whiff with only one shot, and then subsequently get smacked around (sometimes giving the other side first blood).  3 S8 shots per model should be able to take down almost anything vehicle wise.

I tend to deepstrike them in however, because they are usually one of the first things to be targeted and don't last long.  Dropping them in using teleport homers obviously helps that.  I also occasionally run the dual HF option in DW heavy lists to even out some of the model count.

I do wonder how effective they will be in light of the new Tau codex though.  It seems that the ability to remove cover save with standard S5 shots coming at you en masse will take this unit down very quickly.  This may be a reason not to run large squads (2-3 man unit max). 

IDIOT!!! lol... thanks for the catch.  I mean locator beacons.  I typically run a drop pod with Azrael and tac or command squad, and drop in off of it since most opponents leave it alone unless there's nothing else to shoot at

I played 1 x 5 LS Typhoon/MM (only 1 typhoon allowed with the old codex)...many people sniggered...until they had to bear 5 MMs in their face and could not retaliate assaulting.

Now for 375 points you have one of the most obscene shooting units that can be fielded, extremely resilient by itself and straight out nasty when combined with shroud.

Obviously, at 1850/2000 the 1205 points ( 3 x 5 LS Typhoon/HB + 1 x Shroud) is simply not playable and as all extreme builds suffers from serious hindrance...

But 2x3 or something like that is probably one of the best support units we have.

Again, in the FA slot...sigh...

I must say even with the shroud I would not call it extremely resilient.

Agree with the other points though.

In a RAS led by Azzy or Sammy; 6 bikes, one AB, one LS, NO change there. It's just part of a Troops slot in the FoC, not a scoring/contesting/denial unit as mentioned above.

I am freaken LOVIN' that RAS speeders can now be Typhoons, they risk giving up first blood but with reserves/Deep strike and/or range they ROCK!!! with real rocks.

My seven Typhoons are 4 individuals with HB attached to 4 RAS Sqns used to harrass threats to the wolf pack, and one RSS Sqn of 3 with MM that are semi suicidal deep strikers for when something needs to die dead.

Archived