Land Speeder Typhoon: hidden gem?

monkeyman26

My seven Typhoons are 4 individuals with HB attached to 4 RAS Sqns used to harrass threats to the wolf pack,

Can I have your blood? Come on, just the first ooneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Late game, zoom forward to contest objectives (or claim them in the right scenarios!).

Sorry to rain on your parade, but as vehicles the can neither be scoring nor denial units.

Why do people take such things so literally? ;) Park the speeder physically on top of the objective. Or as near to it as you can. Skimmers can do that. Or between the enemy and the objective. Shoot stuff. Force your opponent to deal with the speeder, and keep him away from the objective. Enemy models can't end their movement within 1" of a model, right? You roll to end the game starting on turn 5. It can be a desperation move. If it stops your opponent from scoring an objective...

In the mission 'The Scouring', vehicles are scoring units as long as they are a Fast Attack choice and not immobilized.

Not when I reserve them all, haha.

Ooooh, so your army has so many units that you can afford to leave the 4 scoring biker units in reserve? This is getting even better ;)

As for the "contesting" speeder: I pulled that trick almost every game in 5th...when they needed 6s to hit. Now with 3s and AV10 and 2 HP...sure, its ANOTHER tool in the box, but not something I'd count on. 20 WS4 S4 attacks is all it takes to strip a LS, and lets face it, that really not that many attacks.

Ooooh, so your army has so many units that you can afford to leave the 4 scoring biker units in reserve? This is getting even better ;)

As for the "contesting" speeder: I pulled that trick almost every game in 5th...when they needed 6s to hit. Now with 3s and AV10 and 2 HP...sure, its ANOTHER tool in the box, but not something I'd count on. 20 WS4 S4 attacks is all it takes to strip a LS, and lets face it, that really not that many attacks.

Reserving scoring units is a very common tactic. It prevents your opponent from annihilating them early game.

You don't assault the speeder to kill it, you assault it to get in B2B and get within 3" of an objective if it's blocking you. That way it doesn't matter if you kill it, you're still taking the objective.

Ooooh, so your army has so many units that you can afford to leave the 4 scoring biker units in reserve? This is getting even better msn-wink.gif

You can reserve the speeders without reserving the bikes, nowadays cool.png

Remember: they're treated as separate units from the point of purchase.

"Contest" still has a technical meaning in 6th Ed, doesn't it? In which case, the speeder may be preventing the enemy from claiming the objective but only in the same way that a large block of impassable terrain would, so it isn't "contesting" the objective at all.

11 KP at 2k isn't too bad ;)

I gave up 1st blood to Tau last game, when they go first there is not enough cover in the world to protect you (because it doesn't), I failed three 4++ on my Interrogator biker, what can you do? ;)

I did get line breaker and stopped him getting it though :D

I lost my sqn of three MM Typhoons after they DSd in to cull his Ion cannon thingies, the single HB ones all survived and killed heaps of firewarriors by staying out of range.

My 4x6 man RAS took the brunt of his anger but survived enough to close with and kill him at close quarters while the Typhoon fires kept him from focusing on the real threats.

I lost my sqn of three MM Typhoons after they DSd in to cull his Ion cannon thingies, the single HB ones all survived and killed heaps of firewarriors by staying out of range.

My 4x6 man RAS took the brunt of his anger but survived enough to close with and kill him at close quarters while the Typhoon fires kept him from focusing on the real threats.

Never liked the fragility of the things, but after the results of the derp-class plasma crapstorm battery, I might have to reevaluate speeders in general.

We technically can field more speeders than any other marine chapter. I have not seen the new Tau codex, so I don't know how they stand. None of the other codex can field close to what we can. But it isn't always practical for us to do so.

With a single FOC we can field 25 speeders taking 1 HQ, 6 troops, 3 FA, & 3 HS.

You can't count Derpspeeders, only the cool ones tongue.png

I ve been playing WW2 games as well and I chose the soviet tank devisions as there was a mainstay of german players. As you can tell sometimes I can overlook the coolness factor to get the job done biggrin.png

Archived