Loadout for Devastators - What do you use?

captain sox

Hello everyone.

Still working on what my DA army is going to look like... Terminators, with air support and ground support. No tanks, no bikes. I am using 10 man Dev Squads... I'm just having issues with how to load them out effectively.

I plan 2 Squads, one with 2 LC, and 2 ML with Flakk, and the other with 4 Heavy Bolters, for anti-infantry. the HB squad will sit beside the Command Squad with Devastation Banner, and lay down the firepower. The other LC/ML squad will be for anti-tank / anti-flyer / MC's and flyers.

are these decent plans for our cheaper Dev Squads? What do you use?

thanks!

-CS

At the moment I'm using usually two devastator squads. 1 with 4xML and other with 2xHB + 2x PC. 1 for anti tank and can pick up some slack vs infantry, the other is purely vs infantry. The 2x HB+2x PC is a little odd but both share same range and are mainly anti infantry. Ideally I shoud have 4xHB but I don't have the models.

I keep forgetting about using sgt auspex though, but as soon as I replace a ML for a lascannon I'll remember for sure. 

4x Flakk Missiles is pricey, but still decent. I tend to buy an extra 3 models for that unit so they don't instantly die to focused fire. Plasma Cannons are pretty decent on them, and Lucifer's setup of 2xHB 2xPC seems like it would give some good results too.

9th Squad - Full 10 Astartes, 2x LC + 2x ML+Flakk

10th Squad - Full 10 Astartes, 2x HB + 2x PC

generally combat squad them with one of each weapon per squad to spread the love.  Key point I go by was a tactical tutorial I read years ago on Librarium, saying don't mix ranges - go all 48" or all 36".

has anyone tried x4 plasma cannons yet? I'm interested to see how they do.

Lets see in one game they dropped a wave serpent, a full squad of howling banshees, 2 wounds from a wraith lord, a far seer hanging with some dark reapers.

Another game they killed 2 and a half squads of grey hunters, well with the points. If you have the points to spare a divination librarian will ensure they don't melt themselves.

I currently only have two full Dev Squads painted up.

1st Plt; X10, 2X ML, 2X LC, SGT, Bolter, Auspix. Ya I know he is not allowed one, but Im not taking it off.

2nd Plt; X10, 2X HB, 2X PC, SGT, Bolter, Auspix. See above. These were done during an older Codex were they were available.

I have three Squads awaiting paint;

2X 10X, 4X PC

1X 10X, 4 ML

This is a really useful thread.  Being new to the Unforgiven, and to Loyalist Marines, this is something I have never had to deal with before.  I'm looking at a Devastator squad to support my Tactical squads as I've heard that in 6th, HP's are hurting mechanised lists.  I appreciated the hint about keeping ranges the same when mixing two different Heavies per squad. 

Does using Combat Squads help or hinder any of this at all?  I'm guessing you're limiting the use of the Auspex and making two targets (which I guess can be a positive and a negative). 

I use 3xML1xLC Squad with much success. It doesn't usually take much hate and it paid for itself in every game I played. It's great all-around setup which I can recommend to everyone.

I used 4xPC in around 10 games and it's not that effective. I mean it generally obliterates everything in range and forces enemy to hug the LoS blockers/cover. On the other hand it get focused in every game and is usually forced to go to ground or dies. It's very easy to outmanoeuvre this squad as well. I found much more success with Plasma Cannons spread across 2-4 five men Tactical Squads. You can spread them over the battlefield so your opponent can't hide that easily.

But again I'm not a hughe fan of PCs as experienced players will let you to hit only one model per squad anyway. This makes PCs a very situational weapons. I think LCs are much better choice as anti-meq effect is similar and you get so much better AT and longer range for only 5 points more.

4xLC in deves will get owned as soon as you opponent has LoS to them. My motto is to keep Devastators cheap and spread more deadly heavy weapons across cheap Tacticals. These are support platforms however as core of my army are Deathwing Terminators with 2x3 outflanking Black Knights.

I use 3xML1xLC Squad with much success. It doesn't usually take hate and it paid for itself in every game I played. It's great all-around setup which I can recommend to everyone.

I used 4xPC in around 10 games and it's not that effective. I mean it generally obliterates everything in range and forces enemy to hug the LoS blockers/cover. On the other hand it get focused in every game and is usually forced to go to ground or dies. It's very easy to outmanoeuvre this squad as well. I found much more success with Plasma Cannons spread acros 2-4 five men Tactical Squads. You can spread them over the battlefield so your opponent can't hide that easily.

But again I'm not a hughe fan of PCs as experienced players will let you to hit only one model per squad anyway. This makes PCs a very situational weapon. I think LCs are much better choice as anti-meq effect is similar and you get so much better AT and longer range for only 5 points more.

4xLC in deves will get owned as soon as you opponent has LoS to them. My motto is to keep Devastators cheap and spread more deadly heavy weapons across cheap Tacticals.

yeah my 10man 4xLC + Razorback w/ TL LC gets a LOT of HATE! but hey keeps them from shooting at my bikesmsn-wink.gif

nobody taking 10man with 4x LCs??

We're still not used to the discount prices of lascannon on new codex. msn-wink.gif

I was using that, once. It is higly survivable but with the advent of helldrakes I switched to triple las predators.

On topic: I prefer myself 2HB 2LC combat squaded. An odd ball of a choice Iam considering is 4 plasma cannons.

Problem is their profile, resulting them been high on the opossitions target priority list. Also points.

I have three predator annihilators.  The devastator squads I am prepping are laser cannons and plasma cannons.  I think that predators work better in the long run for anti-vehicle, but divination on a 4 PC devastator squad is pure death for any infantry squad.

has anyone tried x4 plasma cannons yet? I'm interested to see how they do.

Tried this setup at Adepticon... Triple Annihilation Barge, Dual Ghost Arks... Laughed at them...

Need to have LC to consistently Pen AV 13- AV14.. which seem to be very common these days.

Lets see in one game they dropped a wave serpent, a full squad of howling banshees, 2 wounds from a wraith lord, a far seer hanging with some dark reapers.

Another game they killed 2 and a half squads of grey hunters, well with the points. If you have the points to spare a divination librarian will ensure they don't melt themselves.

annihilation barges (and anything with quantum shielding) hates melta. Even worse, terminators that pound them with p-fists/thunder hammers. Those bypass the quantum shielding altogether (since they hit rear armor)

2 LC and 2 ML is my order of the day and they have one purpose only - kill enemy armour. Last couple of games I've played I've set them up centrally and basically let rip accross the board in a left - right motion. Granted I've had some luck with the dice rolling but the only thing that's survived being caught in the fire beam has been land raiders. Which conveniently die the following turn to outflanking RAS meltas

4x LC For The Win! Anti-tank, anti-infantry, anti-everything! I'll take the chance of rolling one six on four dice over the more expensive Flak missile upgrade (20 for LC, 25 for ML+Flak) any day against a flyer.

Option two is 4xPC. Though its the same points cost as four ML's, it's fun throwing out the four blast templates on the table and toasting stuff. If you go this option though, I can't recommend the Divination Librarian enough. I always seem to loose 2-3 PC models during the course of the game due to overheat. I think my dice hate me... LOL.

Haven't really run anything else. The HB's seem all but useless to me considering I can take four ML's/PC's for only 20 points more, and the ML is far more versatile for anti-infantry/anti-tank (and even anti-aircraft in a pinch!).

Don't forget, you can get a Razorback with another heavy weapon to add to the squad's firepower. It's a dubious option though. That many points means you can field a Ravenwing Land Speeder Typhoon, or almost enough points for a Librarian. The advantage is that the RB doesn't use up a force org slot. Your mileage may vary.

Of interest to me is the fact that there is no difference in points costs for options between Tactical Squads and Devastator squads.  

my own 2 cents..

I've had great luck with 5 man Dev squad [x2 HB + x2 PC].  another local player has been running mixed SW Longfangs (LC, PC, ML, MM) and has been have good success with it.

Personally, I agree with Plasmaspam- either the whole squad shoots 36" or the whole squad shoots 48".

Something to think about: it costs 20 pts to put a LC on a marine; it costs 20 pts to put a Twin-Linked LC on a Razorback.  To get something close to the T-L effect, you'll need x2 LC in your Dev Squad, which would put you over 100 points.  Also consider the mobility that the [RB + T-L LC] offers.  And don't forget the armor punching power and mobility of a LS + MM + Typhoon.

just something to consider with you're looking for anti-armor support for your forces.

my own 2 cents..

I've had great luck with 5 man Dev squad [x2 HB + x2 PC].  another local player has been running mixed SW Longfangs (LC, PC, ML, MM) and has been have good success with it.

Personally, I agree with Plasmaspam- either the whole squad shoots 36" or the whole squad shoots 48".

Something to think about: it costs 20 pts to put a LC on a marine; it costs 20 pts to put a Twin-Linked LC on a Razorback.  To get something close to the T-L effect, you'll need x2 LC in your Dev Squad, which would put you over 100 points.  Also consider the mobility that the [RB + T-L LC] offers.  And don't forget the armor punching power and mobility of a LS + MM + Typhoon.

just something to consider with you're looking for anti-armor support for your forces.

But... Two Lascannon can target Two targets, a twin-linked Lascannon targets one...

One reason why I like 10 man Dev squads, and split-squadding them 2+2...

But yes, not just number of shots is important, the number of unique targets is also a primary consideration when designing your Anti-Flyer / Anti-Armor forces.

ex) 10 man dev with a RB, can have effectively 3 Twin-Linked shots at 3 separate targets.

Archived