40k chess set loadout

marvmoogy

Here is my two cents.  Unless you bought the models already. 

Rooks - Death Wing (maybe Death Wing Knights)

Knights - Raven Wing (maybe Raven Wing Knights) (do them with the front wheel modeled up.  Usually the horse is rearing with it's front legs up)

Bishops - Interrogator Chaplains (Robes are a must)

Pawns - Tactical Marines (no robes)

So, I have two trains of thought on King / Queen.  Either can be interchangeable - Azrael or a Watcher in the Dark.  We know Azrael is the chapter master but the Watchers in the Dark run the show behind the scenes. 

Queen - Azrael / Watcher in the Dark

King - Azrael / Watcher in the Dark

Cheers Dksphinx,

I've made some decisions on this.....some but not all! :)  All the front line troops will be in power armour and the 'character' models in TDA to show the size difference.

Pawns = company veterans

Rooks = DWKs

Knights = Haavy Flamer Termies

Bishops = Chaplains

Queen = Librarian

King = Belial

I'm going to mess about with the colour schemes and the libby and chaplain will be bone also.

The above gives me everything in a light colour and can be my 'white' pieces.

The opposing force will be.......

Pawns = chaos space marines

Rooks = converted chaos terminators to have TH/SS

Knights = chaos heavy flamer temries

Bishops = chaos lords

Queen = chaos sorcere in TDA

King = Abbadon

Belial will be converted to shadow Abe's wargear.

I know this isn't fluff-legit, but this is a chess set not a 40k piece lol!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Apologies for the lack of updates. RL has really got in my way!

The black edges have now been tidied up and I've managed to pick up the king for the 'blacks'. Unfortunately, I didn't read the eBay description properly and it's turned up as a rather poor conversion of Abaddon.

In other news, after a gap of 10 years, I've gone back to uni so now I'm worried this may not get finished any time soon :(

Either way, I'll still be working on it as and when and providing updates

• 9 months later...

Hi all.....

Yes, I am still alive, as is this project (although nothing has been done on it for nearly a year :( )

I have made progress though...I have just bough some Khorne Bezerkers for the pawns on the Chaos side!

I'll post a pic when they arrive and will hopefully have a few DA Company Veterans to show off on the board....eventually.

This year has been really slow progress across all my projects.  I decided to go back to uni to retrain and it has been the toughest year I have had to date.  Having said that, fingers crossed it will all be worthwhile and I get a decent break over summer to get things moving properly!

Cheers, 

Moogy

Cheers Biggabertha....

It's crazy - this one year course is costing me more than my entire undergrad put together!  My better half thinks it was a 'brave' decision to go back....at the moment, I'm falling more on the 'stupid' side of the coin!

As this is in the DA forum, I'm going to assume that DA characters are useable.

King: Azrael

Queen: Ezekiel

Bishops: Chaplains

Knights: Assault Marines

Rooks: Terminators

Pawns: Tactical Marines

You could then almost entirely mirror this for the opposing side by making it a Fallen force with Cypher as the king.

^ That.   KISS principle.  Then do the same for Chaos:

King: Chaos Lord

Queen: Sorcerer

Bishops: Dark Apostles

Knights: Chaos Raptors

Rooks: Chaos Terminators

Pawns: Chaos Space Marines

Cheers shabbadoo

But i want the backline to all be clad in terminator armour.  The reason being that the pawns are in PA and the characters should really be a bit more imposing

I *THINK* I'm settled on:

Rooks - Termies with assault cannons / reaper autocannons

Knights - Termies with TH/SS or LCs / Chaos CC equivalent (not too up on chaos)

Bishops - Termie sergeants / chaos equivalent

Queen - Termie libby / chaos sorcerer

King - Belial / Abaddon

I say *think* as I'm not 100% on using sergeants, but certainly cant afford a couple of chaplains to fill the role (well, not yet anyway)

Rooks - Termies with assault cannons / reaper autocannons

Knights - Jump packs  ?

Bishops - Chaplin in terminator armor ?

Queen - Termie libby / chaos sorcerer

King - Belial / Abaddon

Perhaps?

Unless you are totally set on using TDA exclusively for anything but pawns, how about using Sanguinary Guard Jump Packs for the white Knights and the Wings from the possessed box for the black knights?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. 

The board has been made for 40mm bases to sit flush into the holes.  Also, with the 'character' models always being bigger than the pawns, this makes me want to leep the back line purely TDA.  I have toyed with the idea of PA in the back line but when I mocked it up, it just didn't look right somehow.  I also tried a rearing Ravenwing bike but this looked a little silly if I'm honest.

I liked the previous idea about a Tank-based chess set with Rhinos for the pawns and Land raiders for the characters (godhammer for rooks, crusader for knights, and some Ares, Achilles, and other forgeworldy goodness thrown in) but, put simply, I can't justify dropping about a grand into a chess set!

Cactus - yes!  This was what I meant in my lack-of-sleep induced stupidisism that made me think of assault terminators.

#fail

Belial, librarian, interrogator-chaplain, knight, heavy weapon. It just feels right. Don't substitute sergeants for the chaplains, even if it does delay completion.

If I owned a shop and had space for a HUGE board...

rook:  imperial bastion

bishop: predator

knight: stormtalon

king: land raider

queen: stormraven

pawns: rhino (or razorback)

Archived