White Templar Test Model

Hello B&C,

After years in the Imperial Guard, I am just starting to put my toes in the water with Space Marines. I've been working on a test figure painted as a White Templar (apparently NOT a BT successor chapter). The model is a starter set Marine with his Dk Angels insignia filed off carefully, so there's not quite as much detail on the figure as a marine from a tactical squad box.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o174/mzungu82/ffd69e8c-c092-4c64-b6f1-95855ad09614_zps4b803b9e.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o174/mzungu82/fbd140cd-cb09-4724-8f5f-ef9274405e4f_zps67822b25.jpg

I am somewhat uncertain about the basing; i had pictured it giving a bit more contrast to the white. I may redo the concrete dust as more of a Stormvermin Fur rather than codex grey & black.

C&C welcome

(n.b. - being new here I'm not totally certain this is posted in the correct section, If misplaced, feel free to move me)

Edited to correct canon.

The White Templars are not BT successors.  BT have no known successors.

That nitpick aside, the model isn't half bad.  The freehand on the knee is well executed, though with a pic blown up to this size lots of stuff like that is gonna look sloppy and rough.

The shoulders are...weird.  It looks like there's a film over his right one (viewer left).  The shoulder insignia seems a bit crude, but you could rectify a lot of that by just cleaning up the edges.

Bonus points just for doing a white color scheme, by the by.  That's always brutal.

You're right about the base.  I would avoid gray scale, seeing as the model itself is gray scale.  If you are gonna go urban, include a lot of rusty stuff to add some color- not in perfectly cut squares, though.

Oh, and welcome to the B&C!

Thanks for the critique!

My apologies on the lore. The shoulders are definitely problematic. I believe the "film" you are seeing is actually my somewhat sloppy black-lining coming back to haunt me when blown up. I will have to get my hands on a non-starter-set marine model so I can attempt the same on a smooth paldron. 

Likewise lots of small spots are suddenly and inexorably visible that will need some more touch-up.

On the base, the rusty squares were intended to be brick, but since that isn't actually coming across, I can try to move to more of an industrial ruin, using broken bits of gears &c.

Let me also welcome you to B&C!

I like the really dark eye lenses and I think you've done a decent job on the free hand chapter badge. Maybe the black areas could do with a bit of highlighting but, as Firepower said, kudos on you being brave enough to tackle white. As a final point, I'd say the area around the "ears" looks a bit untidy...

Look forward for more. smile.png

Archived