How do you play your deathwing?

Roma

So having finally sold most of the chaos filth out of the dark vengeance box, I'm looking forward to buying another 20 terminators and playing deathwing. Im playing deathwing as a deep-striking force either way (a viable 1500p army and rulebook for 70 euros once a bit of swapping around/trading is done is just tooo good), but I noticed that most people prefer to transport their deathwing in a land raider.

This makes sense (mobility is key), but one must consider that you are halving the body count of an allready elite force for that mobility, and of course mass-body board coverage is a mobility in its own right.

So, in the opinion of deathwing players, which is the best, and which do you use. Post army lists by all means.

The list I have in mind is

Belial(thunder hammer, storm shield),

5X5 storm bolter+pow fist terminators (2 with cyclones, 3 with assault cannons, one chainfist in each squad)

And a small bike squad

p.s Why do you think terminator sergeants cant take equipment from the armoury <sadface>.

So having finally sold most of the chaos filth out of the dark vengeance box, I'm looking forward to buying another 20 terminators and playing deathwing. Im playing deathwing as a deep-striking force either way (a viable 1500p army and rulebook for 70 euros once a bit of swapping around/trading is done is just tooo good), but I noticed that most people prefer to transport their deathwing in a land raider.

This makes sense (mobility is key), but one must consider that you are halving the body count of an allready elite force for that mobility, and of course mass-body board coverage is a mobility in its own right.

So, in the opinion of deathwing players, which is the best, and which do you use. Post army lists by all means.

The list I have in mind is

Belial(thunder hammer, storm shield),

5X5 storm bolter+pow fist terminators (2 with cyclones, 3 with assault cannons, one chainfist in each squad)

And a small bike squad

p.s Why do you think terminator sergeants cant take equipment from the armoury <sadface>.

I tend to run the Deathwing Knights with the Land Raider, I've tried just deep striking them and once they get on the board, they are sloooowww. People just run away from them and I can never seem to catch up! sad.png The Land Raider helps negate that and is worth it IMO.

As to why Deathwing Sergeants can't exchange their weapons, its in the recently released FAQ. In order to get TH/SS or LCs one must trade their Storm Bolter and Power Fist. Since the Sergeant has a Power Sword, he cannot do that. Hopefully that will be remedied, but until further notice that is how it must be done.

Deathwing isn't as good in 6th edition as it was in 5th IMO.

That said, I play DW anyway.

I'd suggest that you get Belial, or convert your own.

With the DWA Ruling and the reserve rules you'll need 50% of your army on the board. This really hurts the DW, as the low model count will cause these models to draw copious amounts of fire. In a 1500 point army You are only going to have about 7 units, which means at least 3 have to be on the board when you deploy. 3 units vs a whole Guard or Tau army can lead to disaster.

Deathwing shooting isn't really strong. It's not bad, but it's never going to beat a shooty army. Foot slogging across the board gets painful as you watch the few models in each unit get whittled down as they move forward. In 5th edition I never really used a landraider, instead I maximized my terminator count. In 6th, you are almost forced to use a landraider to protect your model count and make sure they get where they need to get.

Placing Belial and a unit of Deathwing Knights in a Landraider gives you 3 units on the board at deployment, allowing you to place 4 units in DWA. Even if you don't want to deepstrike your terminators across the board, placing them in DWA and dropping them on turn 1 will give you Vengeance strike, which helps somewhat. Deepstriking him is great, but unless you have more tele-homers on the board deepstrike scatters can really cripple you. If I play pure DW I like you DWA on turn 2, while the landraider moves forward. That way I can use Belial's homer and drop where I need too.

I usually take a heavy flamer in Belials squad if I'm deep striking him, rerolling wounds on low armor troops almost always gives you first blood. For heavy weapons I usually go for Cyclones (I only have two), but after that I use Ass Cannons. One day I wouldn't mind trying a plasma cannon or two, but the scatter and snapshot rules make them really iffy.

Taking a banner of fortitude is almost always on my list. Sure, the point are hard to spend for it, but for such a low model count keeping them alive becomes vital. Don't forget to add at least 1 TH/SS in each unit. Positioning him correctly can help when those AP2 weapons start firing. Having a 3+ Invul save vs a 5+ can make a big difference. Remember retaining model count is very important to the DW.

For 1500 points and having only 1 landraider means it's going to draw a lot of fire, but that seems to be the mainstay of the Deathwing.

Of course if you add a small bike squad you can DWA Belial, which would be nice. It's obviously not a pure DW, but GW seems to think that we need to run a mixed wing if we want to not suck every game.

I feel a couple of squads at most because I play multywing. And I use them as support with mixed loadouts. Except when I field deathwing knights and their LR ride. Then they are my exclussive terminator  unit due to their high cost. I have found that regardless of how you field them a terminator libby is a priceless add on.

Archived