Best Fast Attack Build?

Ravenfeld

Hey Guys!

I am not super familiar with Fast Attack as I tend to be more of a elite kinda guy, but I was just curious. Using the models available to us, how would you engineer an effective, mobile fighting force? Bikes, Landspeeders, Assault Marines, Storm Talons? What is a well balanced mariney speed force in your eyes?

Attack bikes are harder to kill than LS imo, but LS can have two guns, so Im usually quite torn between them.

I would generally avoid Assault Squads in games over 1k as they struggle against large squads and elite combat units.

If you want bikes I find they work better as troops, as it leaves 3 slots of FA to bring LS to support them.

Assault Marines and Vanguard are either overpriced or generally don't do much. Bike squads are only really good as Troops. Scout Bikers are actually quite good, but very niche and therefore a lot of people don't take them.

That therefore leaves Speeders, Attack Bikes and Stormtalons.

Stormtalons I hear are best in pairs, but my single one has worked very well. For its role virtually all the weapon upgrades are useful, except perhaps heavy bolters, so the choice comes down to your preference and what points you may have left.

Attack Bikes are basically used for one thing, melta platforms. They're cheap, they're durable, they're fast, but they're not as mobile as Speeders, which can jump over things and Deep Strike. Still, 100pts for 2 fast moving MMs is pretty good.

And then Speeders. There's basically 3 patterns of Speeders. MM/HF is still a good build, as its cheap, and others flexibility. However, if you're using them for fast melta then dual MM Speeders are only marginally more expensive and better in that role. They're also cheaper than Attack Bikes for the amount of melta shots you bring, but not as sturdy. For example, 2x MM ABs are 100pts, while 1x dual MM Speeder is 80pts. 2 units of 2 MM ABs is 200pts, while 2x dual MM Speeders are 160pts. So while the MM ABs are sturdier, you may want the points on offer from the dual MM Speeders.

And then there's the Typhoons. In C:SM at least they seem to be being phased out by the sturdier quad ML Devs (cheaper and in cover hard to shift), and the Stormtalon with TML. To be honest, Typhoons are quite expensive for their fragility. But they're still very powerful, very mobile and worth consideration. Expect them to be cheaper in a newer Codex, as they are C:DA where I believe they're much loved for their cheapness and damage output.

So any of those in any mix to plug up gaps in your force, and you can't go wrong.

And then Speeders. There's basically 3 patterns of Speeders. MM/HF is still a good build, as its cheap, and others flexibility. However, if you're using them for fast melta then dual MM Speeders are only marginally more expensive and better in that role. They're also cheaper than Attack Bikes for the amount of melta shots you bring, but not as sturdy. For example, 2x MM ABs are 100pts, while 1x dual MM Speeder is 80pts. 2 units of 2 MM ABs is 200pts, while 2x dual MM Speeders are 160pts. So while the MM ABs are sturdier, you may want the points on offer from the dual MM Speeders.

And then there's the Typhoons. In C:SM at least they seem to be being phased out by the sturdier quad ML Devs (cheaper and in cover hard to shift), and the Stormtalon with TML. To be honest, Typhoons are quite expensive for their fragility. But they're still very powerful, very mobile and worth consideration. Expect them to be cheaper in a newer Codex, as they are C:DA where I believe they're much loved for their cheapness and damage output.

Some of the guys over in the C:BA sub-forum swear by the dual HB speeder (especially in a C:DA allied contingent).

I run a 2x HF speeder, sometimes 2 and deepstrike them into where I need.

Run them with Vulkan for more lulz.

My bikes are usually taken as troops, and aside from that I don't really bother with fast attack choices.

I have used Assalt marines a few times, and they do alright... Just never quite enough. Considered Vanguard veterans too but still never fit them into a list.

I have 3 double HF speeders and 3 double MM speeders and usually run Vulkan as my HQ.  Both units have served me VERY well.  I never expect them to live past the turn they drop in but they usually manage to anyway and will almost always utterly destroy one high priority target the turn they come in.

My current list just uses two double HF speeders at the moment though as I struggled to fit all the other toys I wanted in my army.  I still swear by speeders though.  Especially when supported by Vulkan they can annihilate things pretty fast.  They are highly mobile droppable glass cannons that can fire both weapons the turn they deep strike and have an inherent 5+ cover save. 

Storm Talons are pretty good too since the point reduction. 

If speed is the theme of your list I would also take a Storm Raven or two in HS. 

So would two Storm Talons and a Squadron of Land Speeders fit the bill?

I was always more prone to the idea of Typhoons, but you guys present some interesting ideas surrounding flamer or melta oriented variants.. a lot to think about.

Thanks for the insight!

Speeder talk:

Outside of a vulcan list I'd stay away from dual MM and Dual HF in particular. Just about everything with any S4 and above shooting or assault will devastate a LS squadron up close.

Dual HB provide a lot of dakka on the cheap, lets you stay out of range of assaults and all those mid strength guns that are dangerous to AV10. 36" away the opponent has to start throwing some serious firepower their way, adding to any AV target saturation you have going.

The HB + typhoon is nice but costs too much outside of codex DA.

My army is based on Fast Attack options. I run 9 Attack Bikes (3 HB, 6 MM). I play Blood Angles, so my standard troops are your assault marines. As mentioned above, Attack Bikes and Speeder Squads are pretty much your best two options. If you're running a mech list, i'd get speeders. If your not, I'd get Attack Bikes (cheap, durable, mobile, and pack a punch!). 

Some fast attack thoughts...

1 - Land Speeders die easily, so resist the temptation to make them expensive; they are very good for the cost if you keep them cheap. I find that I gravitate towards the dual HB, the typhoon (because it can stay back at times and still fire the missiles), and the MM suicide builds. I've never had much success with the HF variant, but my local meta is marine/necron/vehicle heavy, so lacking in good targets before it dies.

2 - Stormtalons are totally playable, and I think the comment about pairs comes from the usual fact that in 40k, if one of something is good, two of something is better unless you really have major synergy.

3 - If you are looking at building a quick, hard hitting army, I would also recommend you think seriously about taking a captain on a bike so you can use bikes as troops. The reality is that the T5, fast moving basic trooper is a huge asset for marines, even after the rapid fire changes that make tacticals more viable. This is often the core of my fast moving marine armies.

As a Templar I too like the typhoon speeder and if used correctly can be very effective I'm using an allied force with fast attack in mind and am mounting my commander and command squad on bikes taking bikes as troops and using two typhoons and a tornado ( heavy bolter assault cannon) the only deviation from the fast attack theme will be my dreadnought but I'm putting it in a drop pod to aid with mobility and topping that lot off with a whirlwind for fire support personally I don't like flyers and seeing as a fast attack choice is either a simp glue storm talon or three speeders ill always go with volume of fire , even with speeders being more fragile if you can hide them well enough on a flank and use them to hassle enemy formations they draw fire from other units and just generally help the battle along

Archived