best infantry SM army?

greatcrusade08

i managed to get hold of a shed load of space marines (about 90 all told) plus the DV dark angels models.

and i was wondering what the best infantry based army is?

C:SM? C:DA? C:BA? C:SW? C:GK?

the only things is i dont want to spend anything on this army.. i do have a few single minis, libby, captain/master (both from DV), i have a couple other generic captains (one i use for shrike the other for khan), i have an apoth, chaplains and a couple thunderfires.

i also have a land raider and 2 rhinos.

so any ideas?

Without jump packs, C:BA doesn't strike me as significantly better than C:SM, neither of which is lauded as making great foot lists. C:SW usually gets good reviews as foot-sloggers, but TDA models usually feature in these lists and they can't take Thunderfires. If you're interested in/able to play Forge World rules - you could build it as a Bran Redmaw force. Between having Saga of the Hunter (his unit can Outflank) and him giving one unit of Grey Hunters Behind Enemy Lines (ala Wolf Scouts), and another IC taking SotH you can get a bunch of models in your enemies deployment zone without crossing the whole board.

How come you didn't include C:BT in your list?

For a long time they were THE power-armoured infantry list.

Black Tide was something to be feared.

Somewhat over-costed now though =c(

sorry didnt mean to insult C:BT users, i personally believe they will be merged with C:SM this year but we will see..

as you said though the last few SM dexes have been cheaper and cheaper, BT just arent what they were tbh.

i managed to get hold of a shed load of space marines (about 90 all told) plus the DV dark angels models.

the only things is i dont want to spend anything on this army.. i do have a few single minis, libby, captain/master (both from DV), i have a couple other generic captains (one i use for shrike the other for khan), i have an apoth, chaplains and a couple thunderfires.

so any ideas?

If you're open to using FW, a Siege Assault Vanguard can do horrible, horrible things to enemies.  It doesn't rely on transport vehicles (as only a select few models can use them), can very competitively bring hordes of PA, Makes great use of thunderfires and begs for a big scary landraider squad for the Siege Objective.  Also, their captains ("Siege Masters") are actually good, unlike regular ones.

EDIT: If you need a power armoured unit to take the siege objective, a SAS in a redeemer with a master with PW. 3 PW in the squad and FC can pretty well be relied upon to do the job.

I'd second the Siege Assault Vanguard army list from Forgeworld.

It can create very resilient tactical marines on foot, siege assault squads that are what regular assault squads should be and can take your land raider as a dedicated transport. W0lfie is also right that the siege master is pretty good and also buffs one infantry unit. Plus thunderfires make great additions to the army for the ranged firepower, in conjunction with the techmarines' bolster defences to help the survivability of foot slogging tactical marines.

so any ideas?

C:BA troops are rather resilient if you have any cover around and stick a priest nearby - 3+ armour or 4+ cover and then usually a 5+ FNP. I did an all-foot Lametors army once that tore DE apart, since tha majority of their firepower left me with 2 saves, adn my advancing tacs and terms made a horrible mess of their troops that got dismounted.

That being said, a DA army with Standard of Devestation sounds like it could be a beast to shift off objectives ( a couple of 10-man tac squads nearby will kick out a LOT of firepower at anything coming their way - you could split the combat squads up so 5 plain botler guys from 2-3 squads just sit near the standard while your special/heavy weapons and sergeants go vehicle-hunting for example...

A thought, if I may; Forgeworld's IA: 9 has a Fire Hawks independant character Captain by the name of Elam Courbray, who allows you to use Assault Squads and Vanguard Vets as scoring units. Might be something else to look into.

Archived